Assault Victim Gets 18 Months for Stabbing Attacker

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

Assault Victim Gets 18 Months for Stabbing Attacker

Post by High Power »

This is why we need a stand-your-ground-law in Ohio.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/05/co ... +-+Text%29

The scumbags that attacked him probably got community service. The one that got stabbed will probably sue him for his injury as well.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Bruenor

Re: Assault Victim Gets 18 Months for Stabbing Attacker

Post by Bruenor »

3 on 1, assaulted and beaten at work, and he can't use deadly force in defense, because he's supposed to retreat ?
https://www.ctpost.com/policereports/ar ... 044078.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After being assaulted inside the coffee shop, Sumpter ran outside and stabbed one of the men.
This is the part that confuses me though.. was he running away and stabbed one of them, or did he chase them as they were leaving and stab one ? News reports are so vague, and it doesn't sound like his public defender wasn't a huge help.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bruenor wrote:
After being assaulted inside the coffee shop, Sumpter ran outside and stabbed one of the men.
This is the part that confuses me though.. was he running away and stabbed one of them, or did he chase them as they were leaving and stab one ?
Exactly - if they attacked him and then left, and he followed / chased them out and stabbed one, he's lost any claim of self defense and a SYG law wouldn't have helped him.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Judge John Blawie told Sumpter that he believed his version of events, but had to follow the letter of the law.
I didn't catch it in the links, but does CT have a mandatory minimum for that charge?
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

JustaShooter wrote:
Bruenor wrote:
This is the part that confuses me though.. was he running away and stabbed one of them, or did he chase them as they were leaving and stab one ?
Exactly - if they attacked him and then left, and he followed / chased them out and stabbed one, he's lost any claim of self defense and a SYG law wouldn't have helped him.
I would like to see the official court transcripts.

As with the rest of you, I'm confused, here, too. My understanding - via the media reports that I read on the incident (like the one Bruenor cited - was that Sumpter gave chase to his assailants and stabbed one of them as all assailant were already fleeing the scene, and that's why the judge passed down the sentence.

If this is the case, then it's not SYG, at all. It's just a bad decision on the part of the unfortunate victim of the beating.

Sumpter also has a guilty plea to second-degree assault and "carrying a dangerous weapon" on-record from February of this year (stemming from a December arrest), and at the time of the attack/incident, already had a probation violation charge pending.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
High Power

Post by High Power »

I looked up his case on the online docket. Keep in mind that online court records are not always accurate but according to the docket, Mr. Sumpter plead guilty.

So he was either hoping for a lenient sentence, stupid or had an incompetent attorney who convinced him to plead guilty. Or the media, again, has the story wrong. Or the online record is incorrect.

http://www.jud2.ct.gov/crdockets/CaseDe ... 9c9c429223
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Interesting, thank you!

I got the feeling - based on what the reports quoted of the judge's words at the sentencing - that perhaps Sumpter did expect/hope for clemency.

But indeed, as you wrote, all those possibilities are, well, possible!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio