Free Computer Monitors

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Free Computer Monitors

Post by deanimator »

Does anyone know of a legit charity that will come and pick up six 17" CRT computer monitors?

They're just taking up space, but I don't feel like taking them anywhere. It's enough work just taking them to the curb.

Rather than see them get rain soaked before somebody grabs them, I'd prefer that somebody who'll use them comes and gets them.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Bruenor

Re: Free Computer Monitors

Post by Bruenor »

When we did our computer refresh a few years back (2014), I contacted Ronald Turner over at CEOGC.org he took pretty much everything I had to dispose of. Several pallets of Laptops, computers, monitors, and printers. I chose a Cleveland organization that refurbs computers and provides them to people who otherwise couldn't afford them. I hate scrapping working hardware if someone else can make use of it.
http://www.ceogc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not sure if Mr. Turner is there any longer, but if so, first initial last name @coegc.org was his email.

Computers Assisting People looks like a similar program
http://www.capinc.org/donate-cap.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although you may have issues with the CRT's, CAP's donation page says they no longer accept CRT's, only flat screens.

Freecycle is another option. https://www.freecycle.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best of luck
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bruenor wrote:When we did our computer refresh a few years back (2014), I contacted Ronald Turner over at CEOGC.org he took pretty much everything I had to dispose of. Several pallets of Laptops, computers, monitors, and printers. I chose a Cleveland organization that refurbs computers and provides them to people who otherwise couldn't afford them. I hate scrapping working hardware if someone else can make use of it.
http://www.ceogc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not sure if Mr. Turner is there any longer, but if so, first initial last name @coegc.org was his email.

Computers Assisting People looks like a similar program
http://www.capinc.org/donate-cap.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although you may have issues with the CRT's, CAP's donation page says they no longer accept CRT's, only flat screens.

Freecycle is another option. https://www.freecycle.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best of luck
Thanks.

I almost put them out yesterday, but didn't want them waterlogged before somebody could even look at them.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Good luck finding someone to accept CRT monitors in this day and age. Between the bulk, the power consumption and the mercury in CRTs pretty much no one wants them anymore. I notice the capinc.org web site says they no longer accept them.

I wouldn't have accepted them at my school. I saw the handwriting on the wall and emptied the building of CRT monitors some years ago. Luckily, RET3 (http://ret3.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) still accepted them with any charge back then.

If you can't find anyone to accept them, Rocky River takes computer equipment for recycling twice a year with the next scheduled pick up the week of August 20th.

http://www.rrcity.com/refuse-collection/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

What mercury in the crts?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

AlanM wrote:What mercury in the crts?
Actually lead, but still classified as hazardous material.
https://www.epa.gov/hw/cathode-ray-tubes-crts-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Due to the presence of lead located in the funnel glass, CRTs marked for disposal are considered hazardous waste under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
A typical CRT has between 4 and 8 pounds of lead, almost all of which is in the funnel.
Old CRT's used to be recycled into new CRT's but since no-one makes new CRT's for the consumer market anymore, that avenue for recycling is gone. there's pretty much no other current use for leaded glass.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

OIC --- LEADED glass.

The greatest hazard WRT CRTs is the vacuum.
IF the vacuum isn't "released" properly the CRT will implode and then the pieces will rebound and can cause serious damage to anyone nearby.
You CAN take it out to an open field and use your favorite lead thrower from a safe distance to release that vacuum but this leaves you with a lot of glass shards to carefully pickup and dispose.
In the middle of the rear connector of the CRT, just like the bottom connector of most larger vacuum tubes, there is a center plastic alignment key. Place the CRT in a box and cover it completely except for this connector (just in case the tube shatters) and use a pair of pliers or diagonal cutters to break this alignment key. Inside that key is the nub of the glass evacuation tube that was used to pull the vacuum when the CRT was manufactured and then melted closed. Wearing as much protection as you can, gloves, face mask, etc. use a pair of diagonal cutters to snap off the melted end of this nubbin. You should hear hissing. When this stops the CRT is "safe".

The second hazard that can present itself with a CRT actually happened to me.
My first wife had a 21" color console television that blew its flyback transformer.
I ordered a new one and it took over a month to get one from Japan. (This was in the 1970's)
For nearly 6 weeks that television sat with the sun beating on the screen each day.
I had removed the old flyback transformer so the CRT's second anode wasn't connected to anything.
The second anode connector is that suction cup looking thing with the heavily insulated wire sticking to the side of the tube.
Now, it turns out that a CRT can work both ways. Firing a beam of electrons at the screen from the electron gun will cause the phosphor coating to glow. I turns out that strong light on the outside of the CRT will cause that phosphor coating to emit electrons and without that second anode being connected to the television circuitry to provide a bleed off path the CRT acts as a HUGE capacitor.
As I shockingly found out.
AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

I always thought you had an electrifying presence.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

schmieg wrote:I always thought you had an electrifying presence.
Unfortunately, many people find my company shocking.
AlanM
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Recently I saw a bunch of old monitors being used at one of those "retro arcades", for lack of a better term. The place had stacks of '80s game cartridges (is that what they called them?) so the old monitors suddenly made sense.

I was just there to try out the pinball.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.