Gun groups prepare to file suit against Columbus, Cincinnati

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Gun groups prepare to file suit against Columbus, Cincinnati

Post by Chuck »

This next number goes out to all of you who have been saying we ought to join forces and work for the common good of our cause.
The two groups taking action are Ohioans for Concealed Carry and Buckeye Firearms Foundation.

10TV has learned the groups are asking for a preliminary injunction against the new laws, as well as a temporary restraining order.

The groups are arguing two main points:

It is unlawful to ban bump stocks because of Ohio's Code 9.68 that gives people the right to, in part, keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components and ammunition. The groups say bump stocks are considered components.
Part of the law takes certain state and federal felonies, like possessing firearms if you've been convicted of a crime, and turns them into misdemeanors.
https://www.10tv.com/article/gun-groups ... l-gun-laws
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Gun groups prepare to file suit against Columbus, Cincin

Post by Chuck »

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180621/g ... egulations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://610wtvn.iheart.com/content/2018 ... hallenged/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Just made a "Silver Contribution" for the cause to OFCC.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Thank you!
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/gu ... -stock-ban" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“This will be the seventh and eighth time we have had to bring legal action against municipalities,” said Gary Witt with Ohioans for Concealed Carry. “We will win again.”

Witt said state law is clear – cities can’t regulate firearms.

“These laws already exist on the federal level my friends,” Derek DeBrosse, the attorney filing the lawsuit on behalf of the gun rights groups. “It’s 10 years in federal prison if you commit a crime of domestic violence and caught with a firearm so why is the City doing it? Not for public safety, but for political points.”

City Attorney Zach Klein said there are exceptions to that rule.

“We are bound by state law,” Klein said. “We had to be creative and find loopholes that allow us to hold individuals accountable who are domestic violence abusers, who have violent criminal histories.”
And yet their new "law" calls for people who commit felonies (carry while under firearms disability) to be charged and tried as misdemeanors.

What are they thinking?
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Some more news links about the suits:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/22/gu ... power.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wlwt.com/article/city-of-cin ... e/21755749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://statenews.org/post/gun-groups-ta ... stock-bans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Good article on Ammoland.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

bignflnut wrote:Good article on Ammoland.
We had a discussion before we changed the word "cretins" to "politicians" in the sixth paragraph.
I kind of thought you'd get a kick out of that
Ain't activism fun?

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

It's great that there's a desire to watch the watchers.
Vigilance regarding Liberties.

Bearingarms.com recently wrote:
I’ve said beforethat whenever any government at any level passes a new gun control law, that law needs to be challenged immediately in a court of law. It needs to become so standard that communities looking at pushing anti-gun measures down people’s throats will also start to account for the legal costs before passing any such measure.

SNIP

So, in other words, there’s little to nothing being accomplished by two of these laws except, possibly, to raise a little revenue off of people arrested for breaking these state laws. The third is the real crux of the issue.
Bump stocks may indeed become a federal case, and that is better left to others. As it pertains to the locals trying to make their own rules out of whole cloth, it is proper that proRKBA groups call them to the carpet. Hopefully there is a fair and amicable agreement when it comes to covering the legal fees after victory is won.

Thank you, Chuck and Jeff and membership for stepping into the role that makes victory attainable. Thank you for engaging in the local fight.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
dsk
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by dsk »

Everyone,

We had a good week but next week will be even better. Watch for emergency restraining orders against both cities.

:twisted:
Pay your dues.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Thinking out loud. I wonder if both fiefdoms have already speculated on a potential court loss. A possibility of loss is a potential outcome. Perhaps, even to a calculation of a ''settlement'' amounting to a lesser tally then what the plaintiff(s) request.

IMHO , make no ''deals'' , settle for the full amount attorney fees etc.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

I had no problem find the Columbus case in the Franklin County Common Pleas web site. But, as far as I can tell, there is no public access to the Hamilton County Common Pleas docketing system.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

While OFCC is listed first in the Columbus suit, BFF is listed first in the Cincinnati suit

This is from the motion to file amicus brief

Buckeye Firearms Foundation, Inc., et al., v. The City of Cincinnati, et al.
Hamilton Common Pleas, Case No. A 1803098
Ain't activism fun?

147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

rickt wrote:I had no problem find the Columbus case in the Franklin County Common Pleas web site. But, as far as I can tell, there is no public access to the Hamilton County Common Pleas docketing system.
It's pretty open:

https://courtclerk.org/records-search/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the case in question: https://courtclerk.org/data/case_summar ... Nz1lm_EBv_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

147Doc wrote:
rickt wrote:I had no problem find the Columbus case in the Franklin County Common Pleas web site. But, as far as I can tell, there is no public access to the Hamilton County Common Pleas docketing system.
It's pretty open:

https://courtclerk.org/records-search/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the case in question: https://courtclerk.org/data/case_summar ... Nz1lm_EBv_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Search for case number: A1803098
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer