Mother gives warning after attempted abduction at rest stop

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Mother gives warning after attempted abduction at rest stop

Post by dustymedic »

And this is why I always carry while traveling by car:
A woman is giving a stark warning after she says two women and three men attempted to abduct her daughter at a rest stop on Interstate 74 in Indiana.

https://www.10tv.com/article/mother-giv ... -rest-stop
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Mother gives warning after attempted abduction at rest s

Post by 147Doc »

I read the linked article and WOW... I could come up with so many alternative explanations rather than "attempted abduction."

A woman spoke to you? And then mentioned "a little girl" in conversation to an acquaintance?

And men were standing OUTSIDE THEIR MINIVAN! In the heat! And sun! Because, you know, everyone waiting for anyone should stay seated in their car, or something!

Yeah, always good to stay alert, and maybe she saw more than the article can transmit, but D@MN it sounds thin.Ten seconds of fame much, lady?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I generally don't quibble about someone else's "spider sense tingling". There are employee attendants at that set of rest areas during daytime hours.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

147Doc wrote:I read the linked article and WOW... I could come up with so many alternative explanations rather than "attempted abduction."

A woman "Who appeared to be on drugs and who extinguished a freshly-lit cigarette" spoke to you? And then mentioned "a little girl" in conversation to an acquaintance? "And who changed her clothes, leaving the bag in the restroom"

And men were standing OUTSIDE THEIR MINIVAN "with all of the doors open"! In the heat! And sun! Because, you know, everyone waiting for anyone should stay seated in their car, or something!

Yeah, always good to stay alert, and maybe she saw more than the article can transmit, but D@MN it sounds thin.Ten seconds of fame much, lady?
Added a few details. Yeah, my spidey-sense would have been tingling too.

There really is something to the issue of human trafficking. I have had to take continuing education on it because I am a nurse who works in an area where we might see trafficked people.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

Brian D. wrote:I generally don't quibble about someone else's "spider sense tingling".
A lot (probably most) people have the capacity to recognize when a situation is "off", but lack the ability to articulate exactly what it is that they're seeing and reacting to. For that reason, I generally do the same as Brian D. above.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Mustang380gal wrote:
147Doc wrote:I read the linked article and WOW... I could come up with so many alternative explanations rather than "attempted abduction."

A woman "Who appeared to be on drugs and who extinguished a freshly-lit cigarette" spoke to you? And then mentioned "a little girl" in conversation to an acquaintance? "And who changed her clothes, leaving the bag in the restroom"

And men were standing OUTSIDE THEIR MINIVAN "with all of the doors open"! In the heat! And sun! Because, you know, everyone waiting for anyone should stay seated in their car, or something!

There really is something to the issue of human trafficking. I have had to take continuing education on it because I am a nurse who works in an area where we might see trafficked people.
And there is a big problem in Indiana with it.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

schmieg wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:

And there is a big problem in Indiana with it.
I had heard about Toledo having a problem. I did not know about Indiana, but we usually take a couple of kids to summer camp there. After "touristing" in Northern Indiana near Goshen, it really does not surprise me. I haven't had a pronounced spidey sense, but I do seem to be more on guard. We've been going up that way for almost 10 years. Seems to have gone downhill quite a lot.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Mustang380gal wrote:After "touristing" in Northern Indiana near Goshen, it really does not surprise me. I haven't had a pronounced spidey sense, but I do seem to be more on guard. We've been going up that way for almost 10 years. Seems to have gone downhill quite a lot.
I used to live in Goshen, and have family within surrounding counties. I haven't been back to there in over 20 years. Sad to hear if it's gone downhill.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Curzyk wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:After "touristing" in Northern Indiana near Goshen, it really does not surprise me. I haven't had a pronounced spidey sense, but I do seem to be more on guard. We've been going up that way for almost 10 years. Seems to have gone downhill quite a lot.
I used to live in Goshen, and have family within surrounding counties. I haven't been back to there in over 20 years. Sad to hear if it's gone downhill.
My daughter used to live in Fort Wayne and there were several abductions there. She was in a nicer neighborhood, but there was one day when an older car started following her and the driver kept trying to get her to come over to the car. She was in her late 20's at the time, but looked like a teenager. The car kept even with her until she ran between a couple of houses to the next street and rolled under an SUV. The car came around the block, driving slowly as if the guy was looking for her and went around the area two more times before driving off. She got out from under the car and went to the house where the owners called the police (don't know why she didn't have her cell with her). The police responded and told her that they believed a group from Toledo was coming over to grab girls and sell them.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

We get off of Rt 30 in northern Fort Wayne. Not that anywhere is safe, exactly, but I may need to re-think my fuel and meal stop locations.

My oldest daughter lives in Lima, OH. She told my husband that Lima has a huge problem with trafficking because of I75. Thankfully she has never had any experiences like your daughter's.
Curzyk wrote:
Yeah, I have been going to the mall in Goshen every year when I drop off the kids. Last year I noticed lots of the stores that I liked to look at were gone. I don't think I am going this year. Nothing specific was sending out alarms, but I felt like I shouldn't have been there. I'll do my touristing iaround Shipshewana this year.

Scary times we live in.