Sig investigates p320 drop fire

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Sig investigates p320 drop fire

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/06/ ... drop-fire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently Taurus isn't the only one with an alleged drop fire issue. From the reports I've heard though, Taurus CS is nothing like anyone else's CS (and I mean that in a very bad way :( )

Trigger warning
The Army got upgraded guns. For months, the public didn’t. Now, law enforcement officers are suing over a pistol that can fire when you drop it.

By Jose Pagliery, CNN Investigates

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

When gun manufacturer Sig Sauer was about to land a massive deal in 2016 to supply the US Army with a new pistol, the military made a disturbing discovery during testing. If dropped at a certain angle, the gun would go off by itself. The company won the deal last year anyway, then fixed the guns before shipping them.

The Army’s apparent endorsement helped make a nearly identical Sig Sauer pistol, the P320, a popular choice for police departments and the general public. But for several months, the company sold its commercial version of the gun without the fix it had made for the military, a CNN investigation has found.

Over the past two years, three law enforcement officers say they have suffered gunshot injuries when their P320s fired after being dropped or jostled, according to lawsuits and police department documents obtained by CNN Investigates. One sheriff’s deputy in Virginia had her femur shattered when the gun went off as she removed the holstered pistol, according to a lawsuit she filed against Sig Sauer in April, and she has been told she may never walk normally again. At least six other P320 users have had their guns go off accidentally as well.

As the gun community started to circulate word of the problem, Sig Sauer announced a “voluntary upgrade” program in August 2017, allowing P320 owners to ship their guns to the company for a free fix to guard against the “rare occurrence” of accidental discharge in a drop. But its website insists that the unrepaired gun “meets and exceeds all US safety standards,” and the company has not issued a recall.

“They had knowledge of defects with this weapon before my client was shot. The trigger was too heavy. It was fixed on the military version. They got the half-billion-dollar contract. But the commercial version was left alone,” said Jeff Bagnell, the lawyer for the Virginia deputy.

Despite CNN’s repeated requests over several weeks, Sig Sauer would not respond to questions. Company spokesman Joel Harris initially said CEO Ron Cohen was traveling and unavailable. Executives later ignored emails, phone calls, and LinkedIn messages. A lawyer representing Sig Sauer in court refused to comment last week, citing pending litigation.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Sig investigates p320 drop fire

Post by JimE »

[quote="M-Quigley"]

Apparently Taurus isn't the only one with an alleged drop fire issue. From the reports I've heard though, Taurus CS is nothing like anyone else's CS (and I mean that in a very bad way :( )

I believe Taurus's CS is best described as a clogged toilet, and has the same aroma.

As for Sig, I thought they addressed this issue with a recall ?
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

It was a "voluntary upgrade", not a recall , that they offered in August 2017.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

And it's pretty much a nothing burger with respect to the current and "upgraded" pistols.

And good on Sig for ignoring CNN. :twisted:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
High Power

Post by High Power »

I just bought a Sig P320 a few weeks ago. It has the upgraded trigger and slide.

It is the first striker-fired pistol I've ever owned. It puts a big grin on my face every time I shoot it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Today, SIG SAUER, Inc., announced the Texas Department of Public Safety (TXDPS) has integrated the SIG SAUER P320 as its official service firearm throughout its divisions.

The Texas Department of Public Safety is the statewide agency responsible for law enforcement and vehicle registration headquartered in Austin, Texas. The TXDPS is one of the largest law enforcement agencies in the country and is comprised of thirteen divisions including the Texas Highway Patrol, and the Texas Rangers.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798