Top 10 ways to spot a Fudd (humor)

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Top 10 ways to spot a Fudd (humor)

Post by JU-87 »

Hard to believe, but there are some Fudd's still out there... :roll: :)

Top 10 ways to spot a Fudd
After reading what may be the worst piece of Fuddish propaganda I’ve seen in decades, I decided it was high time to pass on a few tools to help spot a Fudd when they intrude into the public discourse about firearms.

What follows is my Top 10 list for successful Fudd spotting:

1. All Fudds have a common mantra: “You don’t need an AR to hunt deer.” Even though the rifle has become the most popular platform for taking all kinds of game, they don’t care. To the Fuddistas, an AR, regardless of caliber or build, is still just an Evil Black Rifle.

2. All Fudds fail to understand that the Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. I’ve read it more than a few times. I’ve yet to come across any verbiage about hunting...
https://www.thegunwriter.com/24165/top- ... ot-a-fudd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Top 10 ways to spot a Fudd (humor)

Post by JimE »

The sad thing is, I've seen it first hand.
Had one wanting to but a bump stock for his AK. Then started in on how AR15's should not be allowed.
Yup, they are that stupid and arrogant.
High Power

Post by High Power »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a number of years ago, I remember reading an op-ed in Shooting Times magazine in which Bill Jordan was criticizing the AR-15 and its variants. He wrote all the usual drivel. If I recall correctly, he wasn't just merely lamenting the disappearance of wood stocked M-1 Garands and 1903 Springfields at the DCM (now CMP) competitions. He was spouting off how ugly and useless the AR-15s were.

That prompted a response from Mike Dillon who, rightly, criticized Jordan for his opinion. Jordan, came back with a recital of his war record and government service to justify his opinion. So because he got shot at, that makes him an expert on AR-15s versus M-1 Garands.

I don't want to take away from Mr. Jordan and his service to country. However, being a war hero doesn't make one correct on every issue. George McGovern had an admirable war record but I disagreed with the man's politics. John McCain deserved to be recognized for his service to his country but I thought he was the worst Republican candidate to ever go against the man from Kenya.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that gun writers like Bill Jordan are the worst kind of Fudds because they drag out their police and/or military record to justify their opinion which has nothing to do with the issue at hand. To the person unfamiliar with firearms, hunting, gun control and self-defense it is people like Mr. Jordan who cause the most damage for the pro-gun movement.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I don't think of those types of folks Like your example as "Fudds", but rather "Only The Few".

Fudds don't understand the battle we are in for 2A. If all guns go away, they will just join the bowling league for the same social outlet.

Only The Few are those active or ex- LEO/military who think "Only the Few" like them should be able to have guns (varies on which ones, depending on background and personal preference).
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

High Power wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a number of years ago, I remember reading an op-ed in Shooting Times magazine in which Bill Jordan was criticizing the AR-15 and its variants. He wrote all the usual drivel. If I recall correctly, he wasn't just merely lamenting the disappearance of wood stocked M-1 Garands and 1903 Springfields at the DCM (now CMP) competitions. He was spouting off how ugly and useless the AR-15s were.
Was he stating his opinion that ordinary citizens shouldn't get an AR because of whatever (not as good or pretty as the Garand), or was he saying people shouldn't be allowed to own one?

The first force on force instructor I had mentioned once about how military experience and police or civilian gun use experience was two totally different environments. A weapon or tactic that might be great for one environment in one circumstance may be totally wrong in another.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

High Power wrote:...I guess, what I'm trying to say is that gun writers like Bill Jordan are the worst kind of Fudds because they drag out their police and/or military record to justify their opinion which has nothing to do with the issue at hand. To the person unfamiliar with firearms, hunting, gun control and self-defense it is people like Mr. Jordan who cause the most damage for the pro-gun movement.
VRRY well written! I agree.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Back when Bill Jordan wrote things like that, the AR-15 was a different critter. The gun and its ammunition have evolved quite a bit since then.

Jeff Cooper said less than flattering things about handguns like the Beretta 92 and Glock 17 early on. Then, students in his classes started winning the mam on man shootings with them, against even the mighty 1911. Cooper softened up a bit at that point.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Benedict Arnold was a war hero...wounded in battle even.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
High Power

Post by High Power »

M-Quigley wrote:
High Power wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a number of years ago, I remember reading an op-ed in Shooting Times magazine in which Bill Jordan was criticizing the AR-15 and its variants. He wrote all the usual drivel. If I recall correctly, he wasn't just merely lamenting the disappearance of wood stocked M-1 Garands and 1903 Springfields at the DCM (now CMP) competitions. He was spouting off how ugly and useless the AR-15s were.
Was he stating his opinion that ordinary citizens shouldn't get an AR because of whatever (not as good or pretty as the Garand), or was he saying people shouldn't be allowed to own one?

The first force on force instructor I had mentioned once about how military experience and police or civilian gun use experience was two totally different environments. A weapon or tactic that might be great for one environment in one circumstance may be totally wrong in another.
I can't recall exactly what he said as it has been a long time ago since he wrote his op-ed. The tone and tenor of the article was basically that they were ugly and useless, the only people that owned them couldn't shoot well so relied on the spray & pray tactics in a gunfight.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

High Power wrote: I can't recall exactly what he said as it has been a long time ago since he wrote his op-ed. The tone and tenor of the article was basically that they were ugly and useless, the only people that owned them couldn't shoot well so relied on the spray & pray tactics in a gunfight.
IIRC, didn't Army brass say that about bolt action rifles when they were switching away from the Springfield trap doors ?
Some folks refuse to accept change in technology and tactics, just as our forces learned the hard way in the Spanish-American war.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

High Power wrote: I can't recall exactly what he said as it has been a long time ago since he wrote his op-ed. The tone and tenor of the article was basically that they were ugly and useless, the only people that owned them couldn't shoot well so relied on the spray & pray tactics in a gunfight.
At one of the PD's I volunteered for, some of the old timers were saying something similar when the department allowed officers to carry high capacity semi autos instead of 6 shot DA revolvers.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JimE wrote:
IIRC, didn't Army brass say that about bolt action rifles when they were switching away from the Springfield trap doors ?
Some folks refuse to accept change in technology and tactics, just as our forces learned the hard way in the Spanish-American war.
As I recall the issue was whether to replace the trapdoor with the Henry and the bean counters won saying that the Henry would allow the troops to fire more rounds in less time, so it would be prohibitively expensive to make the switch.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
High Power

Post by High Power »

schmieg wrote:
JimE wrote:
As I recall the issue was whether to replace the trapdoor with the Henry and the bean counters won saying that the Henry would allow the troops to fire more rounds in less time, so it would be prohibitively expensive to make the switch.
I qualified with the M-16 in 1976 and really hated it. Fast forward to today, I own three of them and an M&P 15-22. There have been so many improvements with the AR-15 platform that someone could write a book as thick as "War & Peace" and "Gone With the Wind," combined.

On the other hand, I have put more rounds down range with the 1903 Springfield and M-1 Garand than all of my AR-15s. With that said, I can field strip an M-1, blind-folded, faster than an AR-15. The rifle shoulders well with me and I am extremely comfortable with it. When it comes to shooting long-range, I can hit my target better with an M-1 than an AR-15. I get more enjoyment out of an M-1 than an AR-15. However, that enjoyment should not cloud a person's objectivity when it comes to evaluating practicality.

I always wanted a 1932 Ford Roadster but could never afford it. Even if I had one, it would not make sense to drive it to work. So it doesn't make sense to fight a modern war with an M-1 rifle.

With that said, I could not ever say anything bad about the AR-15 and M-16s. With up-to-date improvements, those weapons make more sense for use by military and civilians alike.

In a perfect world, I would carry my 1911. That was my preferred sidearm for concealed carry. That all changed after I was hurt in an auto accident. I could not shoulder a rifle for a year. So my groundhog hunting was limited with the use of a handgun. So I thought I'd try the 9mm on those critters.

I can't tell you how many groundhogs I shot with a Browning High-Power using Federal Hydro-Shock ammunition! In a few words; the round spread the groundhogs' guts everywhere. That changed my bias against the diminutive 9mm. There are those that would say that there is a difference between a groundhog and a two-legged assailant.

That's true but anyone who says that has never hunted enough groundhogs. They are extremely tough critters to kill. If a 9mm Hydro-Shock could cause that much damage on a groundhog then imagine would it could do to an assailant's insides. The FMJ issue is another debate.

So, I could carry twice as many rounds in a 9mm handgun the size of a 1911 and still get the job done in a defensive situation.

I don't want to take anything away from men like Bill Jordan who have risked life and limb to serve our country. Nor do I wish to mitigate their experience in combat. However, when their opinions on new-fangled weaponry are limited to their feelings and do not take in ALL the data then that mentality is the same as an Air Force General who would want to fight a war with B-17s and P-47s.

The British Army of the 18th century relied on the bayonet charge as the preferred tactic in combat. Why? Simply because it worked. We can't understand that today but put yourself in the shoes of a British general in the late 1700s.

To them, the rifle was expensive, slow to reload and wasn't soldier-proof. They saw no practicality in the rifle. The bayonet charge worked except when they went up against General Daniel Morgan's riflemen and later Andrew Jackson. That's what we call a paradigm shift.

I would still like to have the manual typewriter that my mother used to teach me how to type. Yet I can not think of very many uses for a manual typewriter today except that it works without electricity.

I can't remember who said it but when asked if they knew they were going to get into a gunfight, what handgun would they carry. The answer was something like, "If I knew I were going to get into a gunfight, I'd use a rifle."

So this little lady's statement on the 2nd Amendment has a lot of practicality to it.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Like the author in the link said, the Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. In regard to the FUDD's statement that you don't "need" an AR to hunt deer, I could make the argument that this FUDD doesn't "need" a cartridge type gun to hunt anything. He could potentially be limited to muzzleloaders. :roll: Why should he be allowed to hunt deer with a "weapon of war" (bolt action rifle or pump shotgun)

I was invited to a private Memorial day shoot over the weekend, and the theme of this shoot was to handle and fire "weapons of war", guns that the US military have at one time used. Almost all of the common guns used for hunting or self defense today were at one time "weapons of war." Even revolvers were once used by the nations military. The semi auto detachable box magazine design is over a hundred years old. In fact, one of the semi automatic guns at the shoot was not only carried in WW two, (1911) but brought home and later used by someone to successfully defend against an armed gang of criminals.

Although it was interesting to fire guns like the Garand or M14, I'm glad I didn't have to carry one when I was in. Most of the earlier design guns there were reproductions they were the same design as the originals. (Brown Bess, etc.) The M1 carbine was popular with the ladies and some of the men too, me included. Plus, it's politically correct, no evil flash hider or protruding pistol grip, wood stock, etc. :roll: I suppose with HP or SP ammo it could be pressed into service as a 75 yard or less self defense weapon, but why, when the AR is available?

The even was nice to give perspective to what the soldier, sailor, or marine could've been issued way back then.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Any weapon, including a rock, was a weapon of war at some time in history.

I concur with you on carrying the M1 or M14. Both are superior rifles to the AR15 or M16, but both are heavy and the ammo is heavy. As one who has humped both the M14 and M16, the latter is easier to carry and allows for carrying much more ammo.

A sergeant that worked for me in Viet Nam had picked up an M2 carbine (the fully atuomatic version of the M1 carbine). It was a fun little toy, but it had no real stopping power or range. I still wouldn't want to be shot by one though.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand