Noblesville, IN school shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Noblesville, IN school shooting

Post by bignflnut »

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. (WISH) -- Two people are in critical condition and a shooter is in custody after a shooting inside of Noblesville West Middle School.

News 8 has been told that the situation is contained. Police are on scene and a SWAT team is sweeping the building. The school is on lockdown. Officials are requesting more medical help on the scene.

One victim is a 13-year-old girl. One victim is an adult.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Noblesville, IN school shooting

Post by qmti »

Copy cats are coming out of the woodwork. These kids (I presume it was) want fame at the expense of the innocent. Here again the gun is just a tool for them. The gun didn't do it, the person having it did it. And more fuel for the anti's gun crusade.
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

And of course the media sensationalizes it, throwing gas on the fire.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

rattlehead wrote:And of course the media sensationalizes it, throwing gas on the fire.
+1.

I really do think that this is a significant part of the problem.

More and more, the leading voices are recognizing this pattern of "fame/infamy" - I didn't realize it until I had read an article on the topic, but it's playing almost exactly like what we saw in the 80s teen-suicide spike. The non-stop media publicity and lamentations just drew more and more moths to the fire, it seemed.

With that, though, I find myself asking another question: will the control of mass-media be enough, in this age of social media?

Here, I really think that the answer is no.

There's a lot of scary and icky stuff out there - for those who haven't, take a look at "Incel." That word is already yesterday's news (does anyone here even remember about that incident in Toronto?), but I really think it exemplifies how dark and twisted some of these social interactions can be.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A week before a student and a teacher were injured in today's Noblesville West Middle School shooting, Vice President Mike Pence praised Indiana's gun laws during a tax event in Indianapolis.

"We call on states to follow the example of Indiana and give families in law enforcement the tools they need to help stop mass shootings before they happen," Pence said. "And we call on states to follow the example of Indiana and allowed qualified school personnel to carry concealed firearms."

Indiana allows school teachers and administration to bring a firearm into a school, if the school board chooses to allow it. However, Noblesville School's employee handbook doesn't contain any policy stating that the district allows it.
Maybe this is why there were only two critically injured, as opposed to 10 fatalities. Will be interesting to hear more details.
Multiple students and parents told IndyStar Friday that Seaman stepped in to stop the shooter. It was not immediately clear how he did so.

In a written statement provided to IndyStar by Fox59, Seaman confirmed he was injured and thanking first responders.

"First of all, thank you to the first responders from Noblesville and Fishers for their immediate action and care," Seaman said. "I want to let everyone know that I was injured but am doing great. To all students, you are all wonderful and I thank you for your support. You are the reason I teach."
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

bignflnut wrote: Maybe this is why there were only two critically injured, as opposed to 10 fatalities. Will be interesting to hear more details.
I haven't heard whether they allow it or not, but I read that the teacher that stopped the student was close enough that he rushed at him and was able to disarm him. He took 3 bullets in that successful attempt. While I think that's great that he was in a circumstance that allowed him to be successful doing that, if I was a teacher I wouldn't want to depend on just my bare hands to deal with a mass shooter. If he'd had been farther away or the bullets had hit him somewhere else his attempt might've been just futile, like Susan Gratia Hupps father was in the Lubys cafeteria massacre. Teachers deserve to at least be allowed to have more options to deal with an active shooter than just their bare hands or using their bodies as human shields. :( If some teachers don't want to carry a gun, fine, but that doesn't mean that those who want that option should be denied it.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

M-Quigley wrote:If some teachers don't want to carry a gun, fine, but that doesn't mean that those who want that option should be denied it.
That's my thinking, too.

No one should be armed against their will - but no one should be disarmed because of someone else's will, either.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio