Graduate OC's AR at Kent State to protest campus gun ban

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Graduate OC's AR at Kent State to protest campus gun ban

Post by Bruenor »

Video at link
https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local ... -552495593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kent State University graduate, Kaitlin Bennett, 22, caused a stir on social media with her photo, in which she is seen walking on campus, while carrying an AR-10 long rifle on her back. The photo is made more dramatic because the gun, held vertically, is almost as tall as Bennett.
Bennett's gun-toting photo also shows her holding a graduation cap that reads, "Come and take it." Her tweet's caption reads, "Now that I graduated from Kent State -- I can finally arm myself on campus.
Kent State University's policy prohibits students, staff, and third parties doing business with the university from having a deadly weapon inside buildings and outside campus grounds.

But visitors may openly carry a gun outside on campus, since it is considered public property of the state.

After university officials determined that Bennett would no longer be a student immediately after graduation, she staged her photo shoot on the day after commencement. The university confirmed that Bennett did not violate any rules.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Re: Graduate OC's AR at Kent State to protest campus gun ban

Post by M-Quigley »

Despite the attention, Bennett does not have any future plans in politics. She's now armed with a new degree in biology -- the study of life, not liberties. She's planning a career in animal sciences.
If I were her, I might be concerned about my future job prospects, depending on who it is she wishes to work for. :(
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

M-Quigley wrote:
Despite the attention, Bennett does not have any future plans in politics. She's now armed with a new degree in biology -- the study of life, not liberties. She's planning a career in animal sciences.
If I were her, I might be concerned about my future job prospects, depending on who it is she wishes to work for. :(
I'm sure she's won't be eligible for employment in a Urban area. I don't think the rural communities would have a problem with her.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Sometimes it is important to know the law and exercise your rights...
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

qmti wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
This is always a concern, nowadays. Virtually every employer scours the web for their potential employee's social media.
I'm sure she's won't be eligible for employment in a Urban area. I don't think the rural communities would have a problem with her.
The article noted that she graduated with a degree in biology and is looking at working in an animal-sciences field.

I can speak with authority only of the university-based academic research portion of this field, and here, I can say that although the university setting itself is currently decidedly liberal/progressive, whether individual views align pro or anti firearms rights remains quite divided, even within this crowd.

At least in my professional setting, I don't think that this particular display of rights would negatively influence her chances of getting a job, and certainly where it comes to employment in individual researcher's labs, I really think that her academic and professional background and experiences as well as personal attitude will carry immeasurably more weight than what her politics may be.

If she wants to knock on our door (which is still how hiring is done a lot of times in this community), I certainly would not turn her down for this display of her rights.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I met the young lady at the Patriots Day rally. Very nice, very intelligent, I'm sure she will go far in whatever field she chooses.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Here's another report on her with more photos.
'Come and take it'\

Definitely watch the video of her. BB62 would (probably is) proud.

OMG! That story has been online for 11 HOURS (as I type this) and there are over 11,000 comments.
The first readable comment is 11 hours old.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
High Power

Post by High Power »

If it wasn't for the ladies, we men could not enjoy carrying. It was the ladies who called attention to the fact that a cop can't fit in their purses to stop a rape. So, they reasoned like the rest of us, why can't they carry a gun?

I salute this young lady for her efforts and everything she is doing with her life.

One observation comes to mind and may be rather subtle. The way she went about OCing was pretty smart. She obviously has a lot of beautiful attributes that draw more attention than the rifle she is carrying. Imagine what would happen to a man with a 5-o-clock-shadow, blue jeans and t-shirt if he was carrying the same rifle, the same way and with a cap that had the same message.

I'd be willing to give odds that he would be stopped, questioned and yelled at. If was not driven off the campus he would probably be arrested.

There is a subtle point that she is making and it is planted in everyone's subconsciousness whether they realize it or not. The point is not the gun, it is who has the gun. The fact that a beautiful young lady with an attractive dress is not necessarily what describes the person in the article and the video. It is her attitude, demeanor, approach and intelligence that make that point.

There is another subtle point that is being planted in the subconscious mind. It's not about gun control it is about people control. Think about this, it is kind of hard for an anti-gunner to argue against this young lady and her right to carry her AR-10. She doesn't fit an anti-gunner's (people controller) stereotypical gun owner.

On the other hand, the rabid people controllers would love it if an sloppily dressed man, unshaven, with pro-gun t-shirt were carrying a "scary looking" rifle.

Some men may regard this approach, of a beautiful young woman wearing a short dress on campus with a rifle, as unfair compared to the rest of us but she gets her point across better than most of we could. And I applaud her for that.

She wasn't using her sex-appeal to get a pro-gun point across, she was using her brains.

With my luck, Kent State would call out a swat team on me if I did what she did, despite my dashing good looks 8) :D
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Well said.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

High Power wrote:
With my luck, Kent State would call out a swat team on me if I did what she did, despite my dashing good looks 8) :D

I guess that depends on what kind of dress YOU wear !!!!!

:D :D :D

Roger
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

She made FOX News this morning.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
High Power

Post by High Power »

rouger10 wrote:
High Power wrote:

I guess that depends on what kind of dress YOU wear !!!!!

:D :D :D

Roger
I stop at wearing high heels and shaving my legs! On the other hand I like the fashion statement that a BAR or M-1 Garand makes. Just like pearls and a strapless, black evening dress; the classics never go out of style.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I appreciate a female publicly involving herself in the pro-RKBA conversation.

Do I wish she was more "Live Free or Die" than "Give KS cash and debt then protest them the day after the relationship ended"? Yeah.

The pro-RKBA groups constantly disclaim and lead with the concept that we should bow the knee to the laws we abhor, decrying violence all along the way. So we praise this female who is sincerely and honestly following as she has been led. There simply needs to be better leadership.

Thankfully she made a point before she disengaged entirely. However, it rings a bit hollow after paying the faculty and administrators who uphold/support her liberties being diminished. Hopefully she can generate and employ greater capital opposing the anti's like KS than she did by paying them.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Here's the previously mentioned Fox & Friends interview.

Good on Blue Target Firearms for having her back!
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
High Power

Post by High Power »

bignflnut wrote:I appreciate a female publicly involving herself in the pro-RKBA conversation.

Do I wish she was more "Live Free or Die" than "Give KS cash and debt then protest them the day after the relationship ended"? Yeah.

The pro-RKBA groups constantly disclaim and lead with the concept that we should bow the knee to the laws we abhor, decrying violence all along the way. So we praise this female who is sincerely and honestly following as she has been led. There simply needs to be better leadership.

Thankfully she made a point before she disengaged entirely. However, it rings a bit hollow after paying the faculty and administrators who uphold/support her liberties being diminished. Hopefully she can generate and employ greater capital opposing the anti's like KS than she did by paying them.
When you look at the video in the article, she was involving herself on campus and educating others about the RKBA while she was a student. Yes, she paid for her schooling to KS anti-gunners but the vast majority of college campuses prohibit carrying firearms. So where else could she go?

It's true that we boycott businesses that are CPZs a lot. On the other hand, what are you going to do when you need emergency medical treatment and the hospital is a CPZ? Sometimes we have to patronize establishments that ban guns.

I don't like disarming when I go into a post office but when I have business to conduct with postal service there may be no other place that I can go.

She was an outspoken advocate for the RKBA while a student. So I don't necessarily agree that she patronized the school while remaining silent at the same time. She also spoke out at the risk of incurring the vengeance of people-controlling professors. Which was pretty brave of her.

Also watch the videos. She is charming and disarming while getting the point across at the same time.

But when a man is calmly defending the RKBA the people-controllers are in his face, yelling and sometimes get violent. It's kind of hard for someone to be in-your-face with a sweat young lady who has a beautiful and disarming personality.

We need more spokeswomen like her.