Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fyrfytr310

Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Post by fyrfytr310 »

From WLWT

Here we go. While I have no interest in the devices, I feel this is a very slippery slope.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
ulwbob
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Cincinnati bump stocks

Post by ulwbob »

In just the last few minutes (3 pm 5/9/2018) Cincinnati city council passed a "no bump stocks" law for the city limits. They are claiming bump stocks are an accessory and therefore are not covered by Ohio's preemption laws prohibiting cities from making their own gun laws. Seems like a very gray area. I smell a lawsuit.

Bob
Bob
Mason, Ohio
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Cincinnati bump stocks

Post by JustaShooter »

ulwbob wrote:They are claiming bump stocks are an accessory and therefore are not covered by Ohio's preemption laws prohibiting cities from making their own gun laws.
Certainly violates the spirit and intent of RC 9.68, and takes some serious twisting to get there.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Re: Cincinnati band bumpstocks.

Post by Brian D. »

I haven't read the actual ordinance yet, but it nearly HAS TO violate ORC 9.68. Sue, sue, sue...before BFA do. :lol: Actually, maybe we have something here that ALL the grassroots gun rights groups can jump in the ring about at the same time.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

We have three threads going on about this right now, with more to come, unless a coord wants to consolidate them.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ulwbob
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ulwbob »

ulwbob wrote:In just the last few minutes (3 pm 5/9/2018) Cincinnati city council passed a "no bump stocks" law for the city limits. They are claiming bump stocks are an accessory and therefore are not covered by Ohio's preemption laws prohibiting cities from making their own gun laws. Seems like a very gray area. I smell a lawsuit.

Bob
While debating, one councilman named Pastor warned the other members that they we inviting a lawsuit. They did it anyhow.
Bob
Mason, Ohio
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:I haven't read the actual ordinance yet, but it nearly HAS TO violate ORC 9.68.
Their claim that a bump stock is an accessory, and therefore isn't "any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition" and thus not covered under the letter of 9.68, which allows them to regulate it is not without merit. However, as I said elsewhere, it certainly *does* violate the spirit and intent of the statute.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Brian D. wrote:We have three threads going on about this right now, with more to come, unless a coord wants to consolidate them.
I'm on it.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Mustang380gal wrote:
Brian D. wrote:We have three threads going on about this right now, with more to come, unless a coord wants to consolidate them.
I'm on it.
Beat me by literally a second.

And yes, this is a very slippery slope. Cincinnati is claiming it's an accessory and not a component. They are claiming a component is a required piece to fire a gun. Whereas an access is not required. Under their logic, they could ban any holster that is not level 3. A few coords think it could mean banning a match grade trigger.

Unfortunately, I can see part of their logic. I think the spirit of the law was accessory = component. The question will be do the courts agree.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Cincinnati bans bumpstocks.

Post by WhyNot »

AND THE SLIPPERY SLOPE OF A LiL PLASTIC STOCK **THAT NO ONE CARED ABOUT** HAS BEEN REVEALED.

Perhaps this is the time to test the political waters of our AG :arrow: wanting to be :arrow: Gov , and ask for an official opinion. A stock, any stock, throughout history, isn't considered a component of a firearm?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

WhyNot wrote:AND THE SLIPPERY SLOPE OF A LiL PLASTIC STOCK **THAT NO ONE CARED ABOUT** HAS BEEN REVEALED.

Perhaps this is the time to test the political waters of our AG :arrow: wanting to be :arrow: Gov , and ask for an official opinion. A stock, any stock, throughout history, isn't considered a component of a firearm?
I would bet Dewine won't touch it.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

qmti wrote:
WhyNot wrote:AND THE SLIPPERY SLOPE OF A LiL PLASTIC STOCK **THAT NO ONE CARED ABOUT** HAS BEEN REVEALED.

I would bet Dewine won't touch it.
It's been firmly established that the AG only gives legal opinions to agents and agencies of the State of Ohio. Us mere citizens don't get the time of day.
NRA Life Member

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Brian D. wrote:Sue, sue, sue...before BFA do.
BFA doesn't have the track record of using the legal system to defend gun rights that OFCC has, In fact, I can only think of only one lawsuit BFA has filed during its existence and that was against the city of Cleveland. When Cleveland filed its challenge to state preemption, the BFA case was put on hold until the Cleveland case was resolved by the Ohio Supreme Court. That decision made the BFA case moot.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rickt wrote:
BFA doesn't have the track record of using the legal system to defend gun rights that OFCC has, In fact, I can only think of only one lawsuit BFA has filed during its existence and that was against the city of Cleveland. When Cleveland filed its challenge to state preemption, the BFA case was put on hold until the Cleveland case was resolved by the Ohio Supreme Court. That decision made the BFA case moot.
Well, they are threatening to do so...

http://wcbe.org/post/pro-gun-group-thre ... ordinances" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Life Member

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JustaShooter wrote:
rickt wrote:
Well, they are threatening to do so...

http://wcbe.org/post/pro-gun-group-thre ... ordinances" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fine. Let them spend their money for a change.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand