Carrying cocked and locked

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Carrying cocked and locked

Post by TSiWRX »

jeep45238 wrote: Try it with a 9mm+p+ blowback :)
Um, ouch?

:lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

wls wrote:I love my 1911's, but cocked and locked is the only way to carry. Just make sure you have the right holster. I have found that many of them are made so that they will disengage the safety. Before Zlongie stopped making and selling holsters, I had several made especially for my 1911's that met my requirement not to interfere with the safety.

If you are carrying a “true” 1911, not the new small ones, you still have a grip safety and trigger to engage before it will fire. Even if the thumb safety disengages in a holster, you still have a very safe pistol. Now with the new, small one with no grip safety, that presents another issue.....now your trigger is your last safety feature.
1911's are way safer then those dam Glocks. :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

steves 50de wrote:
wls wrote:I love my 1911's, but cocked and locked is the only way to carry. Just make sure you have the right holster. I have found that many of them are made so that they will disengage the safety. Before Zlongie stopped making and selling holsters, I had several made especially for my 1911's that met my requirement not to interfere with the safety.

If you are carrying a “true” 1911, not the new small ones, you still have a grip safety and trigger to engage before it will fire. Even if the thumb safety disengages in a holster, you still have a very safe pistol. Now with the new, small one with no grip safety, that presents another issue.....now your trigger is your last safety feature.

It’s anout trigger travel regarding what type of trigger is less prone to treating negligence with a bang.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

steves 50de wrote: 1911's are way safer then those dam Glocks. :lol:
Yeah, but Tex Grebner Glock'ed himself with a 1911!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :P :wink: :lol: :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

steves 50de wrote:

Some people just have to poke the nest with the stick. :)

I've owned both, and felt safe with both. The only observation I have is when I open carried a 80 series SA I got many stares and a few comments or questions from people who thought carrying a locked and cocked SA was unsafe, even though no one who questioned it could tell me why it was unsafe. Other people however openly carried a Glock and no one batted an eye. Yes I know a Glock isn't carried fully cocked, but the model of SA I carried had passed as many different safety tests as Glock. A Glock doesn't have an external hammer, and I guess for some people not seeing a hammer cocked makes them feel safer. :roll:

I had one person once who questioned me about the SA and I explained all the safety features of it. When I was done, the person said, "Yeah, but if you have the gun in your hand and flip off the safety, and your finger pulls the trigger back, it might go off then?"
I told the person I don't release the safety in the holster, I only do it after it's left the holster. He then said, "But still, if you've got the gun out in front of you and you release the thumb safety and put enough pressure on the trigger with your finger, it could potentially go off, right?" :roll: I replied that was true for any gun, and you shouldn't even have your finger on the trigger unless you're prepared to fire. He said that wasn't true for revolvers, because his revolver will only go off "if I intentionally pull the trigger." Even though he had never fired or owned a Glock, he thought the triggers were like his revolver (12-15 lb pull) because a Glock owner told him that Glocks were double action only, like a revolver. :roll:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Q, some people are uneducated, others improperly educated, still others refuse to BE educated.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Brian D. wrote:M-Q, some people are uneducated, others improperly educated, still others refuse to BE educated.
There's a difference between stupid and ignorant.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

jeep45238 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:M-Q, some people are uneducated, others improperly educated, still others refuse to BE educated.
There's a difference between stupid and ignorant.
True, ignorance is the lack of information, stupidity is knowing you're ignorant and not doing anything about it.
Particularly if that knowledge can improve your survivability.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

jeep45238 wrote:If you have a dingle action with a safety, I can come up with no other safe way to carry it while still being able to effectively employ the firearm in a deadly force scenario.

Not to mention lowering the hammer on a live round is a damn stupid and unsafe maneuver- decockers exist for a reason, and if your firearm doesn’t have one, that’s called a clue to not do said action to me.

Yep! Agree on all points.

I have the Mustang Pocketlite and two Colt 1911s. Best way to carry that style weapon is cocked and locked with the safety engaged. It is WAY safe than a Glock (but I have several of those, too)
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I like 1911's, carrying in condition 1 not so much, just not comfortable for me to do so (Yes, I am one of 'those') I sometimes carry a Sig P238 which I used to carry in condition 1. One time I removed it from it's pocket holster to find the safety off, and it does not have a grip safety - eek. But Then I found the perfect (for me) solution - Para LDA's. But, Para had been acquired by Remington which then destroyed the company and their product lines. If you are new to Para's, LDA means Light Double Action. Externally, it is 100% 1911 except no barrel bushing, at least on the Carry 9 model. Internally it is very different. It has a Light Double Action which has to be tried to believe. Kinda long pull, but very light. They are based on a series 80, so firing pin plus grip plus thumb safety. I like them, I have three. :D

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

To the best of my knowledge, the Para LDA is akin to HK's LEM - that is there is a two part hammer, with the inner part fully cocked, essentially making it a single action with a long trigger travel.

-Important distinction
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I have no HK savvy at all, but your LDA description is pretty good. Following link is a concise description of the LDA guts + pics. https://www.m1911.org/technic32.htm
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

These days when I carry a semi-auto, I carry this:

Image Image

Citadel 3.5CS .45acp
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

techmike wrote:I have no HK savvy at all, but your LDA description is pretty good. Following link is a concise description of the LDA guts + pics. https://www.m1911.org/technic32.htm
It's pretty nice. I'd like to give the USP 9mm a honest try in DA/SA and LEM (you can change the fire control system on them). I had it on a P2000, and it just wasn't for me - but the concept of the trigger was great, worked well, and provided good accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KVkWGM ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Important distinction
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

jeep45238 wrote:
techmike wrote:I have no HK savvy at all, but your LDA description is pretty good. Following link is a concise description of the LDA guts + pics. https://www.m1911.org/technic32.htm
It's pretty nice. I'd like to give the USP 9mm a honest try in DA/SA and LEM (you can change the fire control system on them). I had it on a P2000, and it just wasn't for me - but the concept of the trigger was great, worked well, and provided good accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KVkWGM ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for posting that video - the LEM looks like an improvement on the LDA - love that short reset! But I will keep my matched set of Para's.... :D