CHL use for firearms purchase.

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BillytheKidder

CHL use for firearms purchase.

Post by BillytheKidder »

Is there a datbase or list of what dealers accept a newer CHL for purposes of a firearm purchase? Just once, before i die, I would like to walk out of dealer with my purchase, rather than being delayed. Cleveland area.

If this is not the place for this question, please feel free to move it or remove it.
Proudly causing more problems than I solve, since 1950.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: CHL use for firearms purchase.

Post by WhyNot »

Too many in the area to simply call? Do you have a fav.

I am aware of no such list.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Not to speak statewide, but in the last year or so I've been visiting more gun shops and shows than just here in the SW part of Ohio. The number of dealers recognizing the "NICS compliant" Ohio CHLs has been increasing pretty quickly. I was tracking this by asking all the FFL holders, when I thought of it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Dealers may use a valid CHL issued on or after a specific date in lieu of running a NICS check, but they aren't required to. My LGS mainly did that for repeat customers.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Starting this week, my renewed license is NICS compliant. Still have to fill out the 4473, but don't have to get hung up the the FBI end of things is down, or running slow as molasses.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
k3m1c6

Post by k3m1c6 »

Made a purchase at Field and Stream here in Cbus and clerk actually offered to use my CHL but it was not compliant at the time.

This was about a year ago do who knows what there policy is now.
BillytheKidder

Post by BillytheKidder »

Thanks for the input. I'm fully aware that dealers are not required to, but may accept a new CHL and not run the check, it appears however, from my limited experience that most shops are not going that route and are running checks no matter what.
Proudly causing more problems than I solve, since 1950.
hkdjoe

Post by hkdjoe »

I don't know if they still do but Double Tap Shooting Supplies in Parma Heights did.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

k3m1c6 wrote:Made a purchase at Field and Stream here in Cbus and clerk actually offered to use my CHL but it was not compliant at the time.

This was about a year ago do who knows what there policy is now.
Please do not give Field and Stream (owned by Dicks) any of your money. They recently bent to the will of the leftists with their anti-freedom sentiment. They stopped selling ar-15 rifles and destroyed the ones they had in inventory to show how they th8nk that an armed populace is dangerous.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

During my latest firearm purchase at the Lima gun show,the owners of 2A Supply ,LLC. located in Columbus Grove asked if I had an Ohio CHL.
I replied I was but it wouldn't be of use for the background check until I renewed it later this Fall.
Just wanted to add them to the conversation.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
k3m1c6

Post by k3m1c6 »

Yeah, I'm aware of the relationship between Dicks and Field and Stream and as I said, it was a year or so ago.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

NFA Arms in Fairborn.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Qfac

Post by Qfac »

Just a note - My local FFL recently moved out of state and I had to find a new one and he will NOT use the CHL like my last one. When I inquired as to why, he said he knows he can but during his most recent ATF inspection the ATF inspector STONGLY advised against it and said they prefer he call them all in. If you are an FFL and it is your business {inappropriate language} off your ATF inspector is like {inappropriate language} into the wind :-(
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

So the ATF can strongly advise against using the law to the FFL's benefit? :? If an agent tells me that, I'll ask what the consequences are and if he'll put that in writing.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Better yet, have an audio recorder going in the pocket when you ask him/her.
Javelin Man wrote:So the ATF can strongly advise against using the law to the FFL's benefit? :? If an agent tells me that, I'll ask what the consequences are and if he'll put that in writing.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.