Comfort dogs for jurors ?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Comfort dogs for jurors ?

Post by M-Quigley »

When did this start becoming a thing? I guess I understand a comfort dog for a traumatized witness if he/she/it needs one but a juror?

https://www.whio.com/news/the-latest-co ... hKEmq92DM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The judge in Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial says the six alternate jurors will get an hour with the courthouse comfort dog before being sent back to their hotel.

Judge Steven O'Neill said Thursday he planned to meet with the alternates to "let them know they're still important." After O'Neill mentioned the dog, Cosby stood up at the defense table and made a comical, barking-like motion with his mouth.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Comfort dogs for jurors ?

Post by TSiWRX »

Forget a high-profile case like this....

After hearing the tales of woe from just friends/family who have had jury duty, well, just thinking about their tales makes me want to pet my comfort dog! :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Lucas County has been using a comfort dog for several months now. He's brought in for Grand Jury proceedings, witnesses, jurors, etc. Wherever he might be needed.

Meet Ezra, the beloved comfort dog at the Lucas Co. Courthouse
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A) All courthouse dogs should be named McGruff.
B) What's the budget for this and who is having their property or person threatened to pay for it?
C) Bob Barker will soon encourage animals to breed, because each citizen born after a certain date will need 2.4 animals to help them cope with the emotional swings in life. There will be workplace dogs, parking lot dogs, coffee shop dogs, grocery store dogs, banking dogs, BMV dogs, restaurant dogs, hole-in-the wall bar dogs, clothing store dogs, etc... You online shoppers are really going to miss out! (guess you'll have to make due with silly dog videos)

We've replaced "home of the brave" with "home of the comfort dog"?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

bignflnut wrote:A) All courthouse dogs should be named McGruff.
B) What's the budget for this and who is having their property or person threatened to pay for it?
C) Bob Barker will soon encourage animals to breed, because each citizen born after a certain date will need 2.4 animals to help them cope with the emotional swings in life. There will be workplace dogs, parking lot dogs, coffee shop dogs, grocery store dogs, banking dogs, BMV dogs, restaurant dogs, hole-in-the wall bar dogs, clothing store dogs, etc... You online shoppers are really going to miss out! (guess you'll have to make due with silly dog videos)

We've replaced "home of the brave" with "home of the comfort dog"?
In Lucas County, a charitable organization (Lutheran Church Charities) acquired, trained, and maintains the dog (including food and veterinary care). A deputy acts is his handler when he's "working", but I believe that Deputy serves as court security and would otherwise be in court even if not acting as the handler. So, the cost is de minimis at worst.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.