FBI NICS #

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

slidelock

FBI NICS #

Post by slidelock »

I have a friend who is delayed on all gun purchases. He says he has to pay $75.00 for a background check everytime to make a purchase. Is that legal? I told him he could get a number from the FBI to remove that problem. Does anyone have the phone number for that or do you have to write a letter for that?
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: FBI NICS #

Post by JimE »

?
NICS is a background check, and it is done at no charge by the FBI, per the Brady Act.
The only results are proceed, delay and deny.
You can get a UPIN assigned to you if there are constant problems or a false denial, but I don't know how you get a "background check" for a fee to alleviate a delay, each and every time.
The delay is for 3 business days, and if no response comes from the FBI, the sale may proceed.
Something has an aroma with this.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Reminds me of the famous new-car dealer "processing fee" scam.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

I wonder if he is dealing with a pawn shop that is taking him for a ride. No FFL firearms shop with integrity would do this and could lose their license if he files a complaint with the state AG consumer protection agency.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

ok, whats the procedure for getting a UPIN?
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Check here:
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/ ... cs-appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

And I was upset when I was delayed at Walmart for a rifle (I have purchased two rifles from Walmart...I feel so ashamed). The policy there is to wait beyond the three days. If no response in a month, the sale is cancelled.

I have never been charged extra for a delayed NICS. At what store did this take place?
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
slidelock15

Post by slidelock15 »

I'll check with my friend tomorow. Thanks for the info.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

He could just get an Ohio CHL. As long as it was issued past a certain date it does away with the NICS check as long as the FFL does it that way.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

willbird wrote:He could just get an Ohio CHL. As long as it was issued past a certain date it does away with the NICS check as long as the FFL does it that way.

Bill
It doesn't do away with the NICS to the best of my knowledge - but rather provides a instant 'go' for the gunshop.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

jeep45238 wrote:
willbird wrote:He could just get an Ohio CHL. As long as it was issued past a certain date it does away with the NICS check as long as the FFL does it that way.

Bill
It doesn't do away with the NICS to the best of my knowledge - but rather provides a instant 'go' for the gunshop.
We still must fill out the 4473 form, and the FFL must file it. I believe the FFL has the option to insist on calling it in but not required.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Cruiser wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:

Bill
We still must fill out the 4473 form, and the FFL must file it. I believe the FFL has the option to insist on calling it in but not required.
That is how I understand it as well.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

jeep45238 wrote:

Bill
I suppose it depends on how you look at it. More or less the CHL system was changed to revoke if something happens that would trigger a NICS denial more or less.

But if FFL takes qualifying Ohio CHL instead of NICS, there is never any NICS check performed.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Cruiser wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:

Bill
That is how it has worked for me since I renewed 12/2017.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

slidelock15 wrote:I'll check with my friend tomorow. Thanks for the info.
Who the h-e-double hockey sticks is your friend dealing with?? And how many "background checks" has he had to pay for??

Has your friend gotten back to you?

Is it time to meet up at Sumburger again??
MyWifeSaidYes