Gibbons anti Trump and liberal

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Gibbons anti Trump and liberal

Post by Gramps »

Checked the mail and a thick paper with big letters saying Gibbons is anti Trump and a liberal on it today.....
Where does Renacci get his info from? I have heard Gibbons isn't fond of Trump's style (in some things he says I am not also) but that doesn't mean he is anti Trump
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Gibbons anti Trump and liberal

Post by Morne »

OFCC has endorsed Gibbons.

As to who is the most pro-Trump I'll let the President decide that.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Morne wrote:OFCC has endorsed Gibbons.

I know OFCC supports Gibbons and I do too.
Just wondering where Renacci gets his info from?
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Gramps wrote:

Does the advertisements (because that's all they are) state sources for this? If you're going to say things about an opponent you should be prepared to back it up.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Took advantage of early voting this week, Voted for Gibbons. (And Mary Taylor as well).
My cynical side says the Ohio GOPe will pull their candidates to victory,but I hope I'm mistaken.

I did not vote for several GOPe swamp creatures running in some races locally when another candidate possible.

Locally, the mudslinging has been between the two campaigns for Rep. Sprauge's seat in 83rd Ohio House district.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

M-Quigley wrote:
Gramps wrote:

Does the advertisements (because that's all they are) state sources for this? If you're going to say things about an opponent you should be prepared to back it up.
The one I got in the mail has 'sources'.. ( If Cleveland.com were leaning any further left it would fall over. )
Gibbons is a pro-choice anti-Trump liberal
Gibbons Donated to efforts to attack Donald Trump ( fec.gov filings 2015-2016 )
Gibbons snubbed trump saying "President is not my style" (Cleveland.com 5/31/17) http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... bbons.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gibbons is "ideologically flexible" which is politician speak for not conservative (Wash. Examiner 6/1/17 ) https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ohio ... cate-trump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gibbons admits he's pro-choice. saying "Didn't want to make decisions about abortion for women" (Washington Examiner 6/1/17) https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ohio ... cate-trump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paid for by Renacci for Senate
That being said some of the 'snubs' on Gibbons I can agree with, as I feel the same, and don't actually see them as negatives.
Fec filings.. the only mike gibbons I see listed is a Senator from Missouri donating to ACTBLUE http://www.senate.mo.gov/07info/members/mem15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so I must be searching wrong ?
I support Trump and his goals but his style is definitely different than mine. Does that mean I'm anti-Trump ? not at all.
I don't agree with abortion, I don't want to fund it with my tax dollars, but I also don't feel it's my place to tell someone else what choices to make, provided they pay for it themselves. (that whole pesky personal responsibility thing)
Ideologically flexible.. on what, in what way ? My abortion stance doesn't fit either party platform so am I suddenly a liberal ? no

I must have missed something on their mailer, if nothing else I think I like Gibbons even more now.

The Pro Gibbons / Anti Renacci mailer I got has more detail on the sources aside from publication and date, It also has article title, author and summary so you can look the stuff up a bit easier. Renacci has definitely supported and voted for things I don't agree with.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

As a guideline, if the money opposing a Republican primary candidate is coming from the left, that might be a good candidate to support. Not a hard and fast rule though.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Here's an article on the various position differences and Trump endorsements of the Senate candidates.

https://www.whio.com/news/state--region ... 4tlLOgGiL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of the five Ohio Republicans vying for the chance to unseat Democratic U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown this fall, only one has the endorsement of President Donald Trump.

The question is, how much of a factor is that anymore?

Some of Trump’s endorsements have fallen flat. In Alabama, he endorsed Luther Strange in the GOP primary and Roy Moore in the special election. Both lost.

That hasn’t stopped Trump from pushing candidates he likes, and he made it official last week that the candidate he likes in Ohio is Rep. Jim Renacci, R-Wadsworth.

“I need Jim very badly to help our agenda and to keep MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!” Trump tweeted on Tuesday. “He will be a fantastic Senator for the Great State of Ohio, and has my full endorsement!”
The funny thing is, when it comes to a few issues, Renacci is not in agreement with Trump, while Gibbons is.
Renacci, a former car dealer who has served in the U.S. House since 2011, is easily the best known of the Republican candidates. Brown is unopposed on the Democratic side and, for now at least, is a favorite to win in November. The oft-quoted Crystal Ball rating system for the University of Virginia Center for Politics lists Ohio’s Senate race as “leans Democratic.”

November is months away, however, so for now the Republicans are pointing to the May 8 primary. Along with Renacci, the ballot consists of Mike Gibbons of Cleveland, Melissa Ackison of Marysville, Don Elijah Eckhart of Galloway and Dan Kiley of Cincinnati.

Gibbons, a former investment banker, has run hard — making multiple appearances, sending out a flurry of press releases and purchasing both television and radio ads.
Trump tariffs

Renacci’s positions on tariffs have been recently challenging for him because Brown and Trump appear closely aligned. A recent Washington Post analysis found that “Trump’s trade moves are a growing political headache (for Renacci), forcing the candidate to explain his own past support for trade pacts and his concerns about the tariffs.”

Brown’s campaign has made a point of saying that he and Trump are working together on the tariffs.

“In this instance, what seems impossible not to point out is the fact that Jim Renacci has voted for unfair trade deals throughout his career and said we needed more free trade around the world,” said Preston Maddock, Brown’s spokesman, in a recent interview. “Both Senator Brown and President Trump … are working together on numerous issues, including the tariffs issue.”

Renacci says that while he’s fine with some tariffs, he must look out for Ohio’s interests, including those of farmers.

“Ohio has a lot of agriculture: soybean is a big example,” he said. “Ohio is the No. 2 exporter of soybeans and China is the No. 1 importer of soybeans, so in the end, we have to make sure we have free and fair trade. Remember, this president has to do what’s best for the country. As a senator or a representative I have to do what’s best for Ohio, and I think that will be the difference between me and the president, in the end, if there are any.”

Gibbons said he’s “all for what Donald Trump is doing” with tariffs.

“I believe President Trump recognizes a trade war with China probably isn’t a good thing,” Gibbons said. “I think he’s very, I guess, elegantly, throwing out some pretty radical changes that he’s going to negotiate a better deal for the U.S.”

Ackison said Trump is bringing “folks to the negotiating table” by enacting tariffs, and she criticized Renacci for not having a more defined position on the matter, comparing him to a car salesman “who won’t give you straight answers on just about anything.”