Ohio CCW v. Florida Non-Resident Permit

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Col Duke

Ohio CCW v. Florida Non-Resident Permit

Post by Col Duke »

Back in 2011, I applied for and received an out-of-state (non-resident) Florida concealed carry permit to supplement my Ohio CCW. At the time I think the FL permit gained me three or four states, all states at the time I saw as those I might visit. This week I received a renewal notice from FL, but upon comparing reciprocity agreements of both Ohio and FL as of 2018, I do not see the FL permit gains any states over and above what I get with the Ohio permit. Any other Ohio residents who are/were FL non-resident permit holders who've come the the same conclusion, there is nothing gained by renewing the FL permit?

Thanks
Duke
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Ohio CCW v. Florida Non-Resident Permit

Post by JustaShooter »

Nothing gained, and one thing lost - an Ohio license gives you an exception from the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act for any schools located in Ohio. The FL license does not. Not that it is a big issue, but still.

The disadvantage to switching from a FL to OH license is you'll have to take an Ohio class. Not a bad thing, but it is time and money.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Col Duke

Post by Col Duke »

JustaShooter wrote:Nothing gained, and one thing lost - an Ohio license gives you an exception from the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act for any schools located in Ohio. The FL license does not. Not that it is a big issue, but still.

The disadvantage to switching from a FL to OH license is you'll have to take an Ohio class. Not a bad thing, but it is time and money.

Thanks for the insight. Just to clarify, the FL non-resident permit was to supplement, not in lieu of, the Ohio permit. Both are current, but I will allow the FL permit to lapse unless someone can give me a reason to not do so. Thanks.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Well then, since you have an OH license, unless you spend much time in FL where it might be beneficial to have a FL license there is no benefit I can think of.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Like you, when I first applied for my Ohio license, I also obtained a non-resident license in Florida (and Pennsylvania, actually). Ohio reciprocity agreements now have me covered in all the same states for which non-resident licenses were once required so I now have only an Ohio license.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
wls

Post by wls »

sodbuster95 wrote:Like you, when I first applied for my Ohio license, I also obtained a non-resident license in Florida (and Pennsylvania, actually). Ohio reciprocity agreements now have me covered in all the same states for which non-resident licenses were once required so I now have only an Ohio license.
I’m the same as sodbuster95, no need to keep the FL and PA license. I renew my Ohio in July.
Col Duke

Post by Col Duke »

Thanks all, you confirmed my thoughts on the matter.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Col Duke wrote:Thanks all, you confirmed my thoughts on the matter.
At the moment with the number of states honoring Ohio's license, about the only reason you might want to get an out of state license would be to have the coverage for being in the federal school zone limitation in another state that you visit fairly frequently. Ohio's license is now honored in 39 states. The only state that I have visited frequently in the past that does not honor Ohio and which has a non-resident license is Minnesota, but you have to go to Minnesota and attend one of their courses to obtain the license. Since my back problems now preclude my participation in the wilderness canoeing I used to frequently do in the Boundary Waters, I have not bothered returning to that state to go through the process.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Pretty much the same situation for me. I've let all my various out of state licenses expire because I'm just not traveling anymore. The only exception is Texas which I keep up because my sister's house is literally across the street from a school and I can renew online for $40, although I had to take the original class in Texas.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

djthomas wrote:Pretty much the same situation for me. I've let all my various out of state licenses expire because I'm just not traveling anymore. The only exception is Texas which I keep up because my sister's house is literally across the street from a school and I can renew online for $40, although I had to take the original class in Texas.
My Arizona license still has a couple of years to go. I got it because it was cheaper than Florida and it gave me Texas and Wisconsin, both of which I wanted. Now that I renewed my Ohio license in March, I no longer need it, though I may keep it as I do go to Arizona periodically.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Roller
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Roller »

Since I renewed my OH license, and became NICS compliant, the FL and UT non - res licenses that I have are not useful anymore and I will not be renewing them.
Stay safe; Check 360