one third of millennials think the earth is flat

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

one third of millennials think the earth is flat

Post by M-Quigley »

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/04/ ... th-survey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guessing 100% of those one third also think no guns signs work, or that most gun control laws actually reduce gun crime. :roll:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: one third of millennials think the earth is flat

Post by TSiWRX »

I think it's just a sign that we're getting
older, when we think the younger generations are weird. :lol: :P

Millenials are a rather interesting bunch, I think.

Their views on firearms certainly seems to swing both ways:

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/24/58806994 ... polls-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... uns-215703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2017 ... -industry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to my occupation, I get to sample a decent cohort of younger generations, and even though my own sample is very limited in scope and tends to draw from a very specific educational background, I have to say that what I've experienced really reflect what's written of, above. There seems to be a significant some - if not the majority - who seem to be share "our" views on firearms and freedom, and there's another sub-group who, as the NRA article noted, view guns favorably as a part of their recreational experiences (and thus expand that favorable view onto gun ownership in general).

Generation Z, given mass-media's portrayal, seems to be distinctly anti-gun, but I'm really not sure that's true, either, given the lack of equal coverage for those who do not fit the current mainstream agenda. It'll be interesting to see what comes of the latest round of anti-freedom/anti-gun legislation, as this group truly enters adulthood.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

TSiWRX wrote:Generation Z, given mass-media's portrayal, seems to be distinctly anti-gun, but I'm really not sure that's true, either, given the lack of equal coverage for those who do not fit the current mainstream agenda. It'll be interesting to see what comes of the latest round of anti-freedom/anti-gun legislation, as this group truly enters adulthood.
I'm cautious about ascribing anything to high school aged kids. Thinking about my own life experience it wasn't until I'd moved off to college where I was forced to take care of myself and be exposed to people unlike me that I was really capable of having an independently formulated thought. I got excellent marks in English and Speech and Debate classes in High School but it was all garbage I'd heard from someone else. Even when I was rebelling against the establishment it wasn't my own thought, it was what all the other kids were doing, probably based on something we'd seen or heard on TV. Critical analysis of anything coming out of our mouths was lacking to say the least.

Not to mention that when I was in HS I had little thought about the government but when I did I thought it was great and would always have its people's best interest at heart. I couldn't wait to vote when I was 18 to make a difference. Then I began to see how the world works.

The newest code phrase for gun control credibility is "articulate." You see it and hear it constantly, as if it means anything. It must be on the talking points memos being passed around. "Oh, these children are so articulate, we simply have to listen to them!" No, we don't. My six year old is very articulate on why she wants her ears pierced and my neighbor's 17 year old is very articulate on why her dad should buy her a car. Their respective pleas have been very eloquent but that doesn't mean they have any basis in fact or reality. Lord knows you can be articulate but be completely wrong. Some of the most vile white supremacists are very articulate and that's how they capture the unwashed masses. Their ability to express a thought using pretty words gives them the perception of legitimacy but it doesn't make their hateful thoughts any less abhorrent.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Great post - and exactly my thinking as well.

I am very cognizant of just how much influence I have over my child's opinions and thinking, and as a result of this (as well as what you've observed and remembered djthomas), I also very much believe that there's a lot of "monkey see, monkey do," even with "young adults."

And as you noted from the very beginning of your post, peer-pressure and herd-think exerts a lot of pull on young minds at this stage of their development, too.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

We were called mean spirited when we pointed out the follies of listening to Generation Tide Pod for advice on gun control. I haven't heard quite the same amount of push back when this group started snorting condoms., although some apologists are quick to point out that this really started in 2013. Now they've moved on to DIY braces and as the learned medical professional notes "Don't take your medical advice from an 11-year-old."
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, I gotta admit, jumping the BMX off of progressively higher (and progressively worse constructed) ramps was pretty dumb, too, particularly without any protective gear at all. :P
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

TSiWRX wrote:You know, I gotta admit, jumping the BMX off of progressively higher (and progressively worse constructed) ramps was pretty dumb, too, particularly without any protective gear at all. :P
Yeah but the difference between your antics and me and my buddies burning stuff in our back yards with homemade napalm versus what "kids these days" are doing is that we knew what we were doing :roll:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, don't we *_still_* know exactly what we're doing?

"Hold my beer/Coke/coffee," said every last person before checking into the Urgent Care. :lol:
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Yet somehow, the idiot that built a rocket at home and launched his butt up to ‘prove’ the earth was flat wasn’t a milenial.

I’d wager that 1/3 of the general population believes this- and that includes every age group.

This is to say if you’re going to paint with a broad brush, paint accurately. Census bureau results provide that that the millennial generation is the generation of children born between 1982 and 2002. I nearly guarantee that is not the age range you are discussing.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Sadly, I am in the Millennial time frame. I do believe thanks to a good upbringing by my parents, education, and my own self reflections and interests, I avoided becoming one of the typical millennials.

I believe this is a great, animated video that explains the millennials attitudes in 12 minutes. ---> Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness - Simon Sinek

If you want the non-animated version, here's the original Simon Sinek interview. ---> Simon Sinek on Millennials in the Workplace
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I'm a glass half full type of person. Another way this could be expressed is
"A minority of millenials think the world is flat."
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

jeep45238 wrote: I’d wager that 1/3 of the general population believes this- and that includes every age group.
I have no idea of the figure, but I definitely agree that this spans all age groups.

Stupidity - including my own - comes at all ages! :lol:
This is to say if you’re going to paint with a broad brush, paint accurately. Census bureau results provide that that the millennial generation is the generation of children born between 1982 and 2002. I nearly guarantee that is not the age range you are discussing.
The OP's article reports the year-spans of the respondents, and 18 to 24 year-olds fit into that math.