S.B 208 Expands carry for LEO

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

S.B 208 Expands carry for LEO

Post by rickt »

Introduced yesterday. This bill says that any place open to the public has to allow LEO carry whether on or off duty. This would allow carry in some places currently off-limits like MLB ballparks and the Cleveland Clinic. Another interesting aspect is it modifies the class D liquor law to make LEO carry the same as CHLs, i.e. carry only allowed if not consuming or intoxicated.
S. B. No. 208 - Senator Terhar.
Cosponsors: Senators Beagle, Coley, Hottinger, Huffman, Jordan, Thomas, Uecker.
To amend sections 2923.121 and 2923.126 and to enact section 2923.1214 of the Revised Code to allow a law enforcement officer or investigator, whether on or off duty, to carry a weapon on certain premises open to the public.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 132-SB-208
djthomas

Re: S.B 208 Expands carry for LEO

Post by djthomas »

Interesting wording in the proposed 2923.1214:
(A) An establishment serving the public may not prohibit or restrict a law enforcement officer from carrying a weapon on the premises that the officer is authorized to carry, regardless of whether the officer is acting within the scope of that officer's duties while carrying the weapon.
If I read my department policy closely, only department-issued weapons are authorized to be carried on duty. Department-issued weapons may not be carried off duty, so I am not authorized to carry them off duty.

Not quite sure how this would be reconciled with the proposed law.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Add the ORIGINAL language of HB 142 and we're golden. Other than that, screw 'em. Just keep the part about being treated like everyone else in a liquor establishment and let 'em live by the same laws we peons have to.

I just can't get behind special privileges for LE after the debacle of 142.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

djthomas wrote:Interesting wording in the proposed 2923.1214:
(A) An establishment serving the public may not prohibit or restrict a law enforcement officer from carrying a weapon on the premises that the officer is authorized to carry, regardless of whether the officer is acting within the scope of that officer's duties while carrying the weapon.
If I read my department policy closely, only department-issued weapons are authorized to be carried on duty. Department-issued weapons may not be carried off duty, so I am not authorized to carry them off duty.

Not quite sure how this would be reconciled with the proposed law.
There was under something similar back in the old days, except the wording was "department approved", as not all reserve officers were issued handguns. Off duty handguns if they were carried had to be approved as well, if not your on duty handgun, and you had to qualify with it also. Many officers would carry a 4 or 6 inch medium frame revolver on duty, but carried off duty a smaller frame revolver with a short barrel. I couldn't recall anyplace back then (hospitals, sporting events, etc) that cared if cops carried off duty, but this was before CHL's.

Officially you weren't supposed to be carrying in a bar off duty, but I never saw anyone get in trouble for it locally. (although they could have if something bad had happened) I never carried in a bar at that time, and rarely even went to bars period. Between work, school, and volunteering I didn't have much time for anything else.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

WestonDon wrote:Add the ORIGINAL language of HB 142 and we're golden.
Agreed.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

WestonDon wrote:I just can't get behind special privileges for LE after the debacle of 142.
How is that different than prior to the Substitute 142?

How can any swamp critter vote against cops? They're our #Heroes! Someone will get the vap-ahs...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

WestonDon wrote:Add the ORIGINAL language of HB 142 and we're golden. Other than that, screw 'em. Just keep the part about being treated like everyone else in a liquor establishment and let 'em live by the same laws we peons have to.

I just can't get behind special privileges for LE after the debacle of 142.

I just told Senator Terhar that on Facebook not ten minutes ago
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

bignflnut wrote:
WestonDon wrote:I just can't get behind special privileges for LE after the debacle of 142.
How is that different than prior to the Substitute 142?
What's different is I'm madder now.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Fourth hearing with possible amendments on 4/10/18.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The committee accepted and passed a substitute bill by a vote of 9-1. Next step will be a full vote of the Senate.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The bill passed the Senate yesterday on a vote of 30-3.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

From the beginning of time there has always been a special class of people that were above the common person. This is just another example of that. The peasants have always know that.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

First hearing in the House Federalism and Interstate Relations committee scheduled for 5/22/2018.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Scheduled for a floor vote in the House today.