Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

Post by High Power »

gaptrick wrote:
yogidave wrote:I like M/C sports better, I was looking to buy a new set of golf clubs this spring and now it looks like I will be spending my money elsewhere.
I believe DICKS also owns GOLF GALAXY....
That is correct.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Palmetto State Armory responds to Dick's:
Palmetto State Armory would like to go on record stating that we support the Second Amendment. While this may seem like an obvious statement, we as a company felt it necessary to make our opinion known to the general public. Palmetto State Armory also strongly supports the First Amendment which enables individuals to voice their opinions, even those in contrast with our own. We believe that a primary purpose of the Second Amendment is actually to protect the First Amendment.

In regards to the actions taken today by the CEO of Dick’s Sporting Goods to no longer sell the AR-15 platform, while we do not agree with this decision, we recognize the fact that capitalism gives him the right to make this call. PSA however, does have an issue when misinformation is spread in the very next sentence by referring to the platform as an “assault rifle.” AR stands for Armalite Rifle which pays homage to the company that originally created the platform. To blame the rifle or a high capacity magazine for the actions of an evil man is illogical and is only applied when referring to firearms. Senseless acts of violence are a terrible plague on society that we all recognize we need to try and prevent as a community, but to blame a tool such as a firearm is at very best missing the point of the problem. When a vehicle is used to commit an act of violence we as a society do not blame the car, we do not blame the speed, or the steering wheel, but rather the driver. It is our hopes that we can approach this negativity with humanity and both sides of the argument can come together and have a civil and intellectual conversation that continues to make this amazing county better. We are all in this together, and we all want the same thing. Safety, happiness, and the “American Dream.”
All of this tit-for-tat regarding what companies decide to sell is going to be background noise fairly quickly when "bump stock bans" end up erasing semi-auto firearms (cause they fire too quickly), and SCOTUS ain't gonna lift a finger.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Here's hoping the plaintiffs win and win BIG. :twisted:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

WhyNot wrote:FYI Glen Beck started his program today with a potential lawsuit scenario on this. Age is a protected class. Which tells me 2 things 1-many other people are thinking the same thing 2- he heard about it (obviously) and ran it through an attorney and 3- we may very well be different in that we have a state ordinance vs others having only a Fed statute to rely on

Does anyone know of anyone who was just getting ready to go shopping?
Age is not a protected class for equal access in places of public accommodations under federal law, only race, color, religion, or national origin.

However, those over 40 are a protected class under federal employment discrimination laws.

18 states and the District of Columbia have age as a protected class. In those states, if the law allows for 18 to 20 to purchase a rifle, stores restricting sales to 21 and over are setting themselves up for risk.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Just going to tag this article in here for us to look back at when the next financial report comes out for Dicks..

http://fortune.com/2018/03/13/dicks-spo ... -tumbling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dick's Sporting Goods Is Tumbling – But Don't Blame Its New Policy on Guns
Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. has vowed to limits sales of guns. Its problem, however, is poor sales of everything else.

Only weeks after winning accolades from gun-control advocates for ending sales of assault rifles at its Field & Stream stores, Dick’s posted a deeper-than-expected sales decline. Its stock sank the most in four months Tuesday in the wake of the quarterly report, which reflected struggles with excess inventory and deep discounting.
Shares of Dick’s fell as much as 7.3 percent to $30.19 in New York, the biggest intraday decline since mid-November. They had climbed 13 percent this year through Monday’s close.
That's mostly before the change in firearms sales policy, so we'll see how they are sitting next quarter..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

I will drive to Cabelas in Avon to spend my money i hope dick's drops dead. :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
dademoss

Post by dademoss »

Didn't DICKS stop selling "Assault rifles" after Sandy Hook? Haven't been to one since then.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Dick's may have a "feel good" from all the accolades they are receiving from the anti-gun groups but what is really happening is that these accolades are coming from the young liberals that really don't shop at a outdoor business. Their core shoppers that do shop are outdoor enthusiast and Dick's has alienated them. I'm sure Cabala's have taken a good share of Dick's business of late. At least that's where I shop.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

It's hard to "boycott" a store whose staff is so rude, lazy and incompetent that you can't attract anyone's attention long enough to actually buy anything.

When they don't sell anything in which you have the slightest interest, then they're effectively boycotting YOU.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

qmti wrote:Dick's may have a "feel good" from all the accolades they are receiving from the anti-gun groups but what is really happening is that these accolades are coming from the young liberals that really don't shop at a outdoor business. Their core shoppers that do shop are outdoor enthusiast and Dick's has alienated them. I'm sure Cabala's have taken a good share of Dick's business of late. At least that's where I shop.
Dick's moved from a true outdoorsman store to more of an overpirced "in" clothing store a number of years ago. REI did the same thing IMHO.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
High Power

Post by High Power »

schmieg wrote:
qmti wrote:Dick's may have a "feel good" from all the accolades they are receiving from the anti-gun groups but what is really happening is that these accolades are coming from the young liberals that really don't shop at a outdoor business. Their core shoppers that do shop are outdoor enthusiast and Dick's has alienated them. I'm sure Cabala's have taken a good share of Dick's business of late. At least that's where I shop.
Dick's moved from a true outdoorsman store to more of an overpirced "in" clothing store a number of years ago. REI did the same thing IMHO.
You would never find an REI devotee going to an Army surplus store for any camping gear. They would be afraid to be seen by someone they know.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

High Power wrote:
schmieg wrote:
You would never find an REI devotee going to an Army surplus store for any camping gear. They would be afraid to be seen by someone they know.
I love the real surplus stores.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

schmieg wrote:I love the real surplus stores.
Me, too, but the only one near me is posted, so I skip it.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

In Cabela's today noticing they are much busier than the Dick's field and stream across the street.
Pointed it out to the cashier and she agreed.
I said it's because Cabela's isn't Dick's.
She agreed and thought that was hilarious
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

deanimator wrote:It's hard to "boycott" a store whose staff is so rude, lazy and incompetent that you can't attract anyone's attention long enough to actually buy anything....

Absolutely. I get angry anytime I'm forced to go there, and it makes the interval before the next trip that much longer.