H.R.5103 - Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Curzyk

H.R.5103 - Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act

Post by Curzyk »

H.R.5103 - Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act of 2018
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... /5103/text" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to increase the excise tax and special occupational tax in respect of firearms and to increase the transfer tax on any other weapon, and for other purposes.
From my reading, it appears to do these things:
  • Increase excise tax on Pistols from 10% to 20%
  • Increase excise tax on Revolvers from 10% to 20%
  • Increase excise tax on Firearms (other than pistols and revolvers) from 11% to 20%
  • Increase excise tax on Shells, and cartridges from 11% to 50%
  • Increases on taxes for importers, manufacturers, and dealers (about double)
  • Increase tax stamp amount from $200 to $500 (from $5 to $100 for all other weapons) plus automatic adjustments for inflation
Curzyk

Re: H.R.5103 - Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities

Post by Curzyk »

Below is what I am thinking of sending to my representative. I'd be interested in thoughts if I'm off base, or if there's a better approach. My district is blue, and my rep is a Democrat, so I doubt it'll do much, but I still want to voice my opinion.
Representative _________,

I have read H.R. 5103 and have some serious concerns. This bill seeks to significantly increase excise taxes on small arms (nearly double) and ammunition (nearly five times), as well as increase the tax stamp fees on transfers of items covered under the National Firearms Act (double on some and twenty times on others).

These excise tax increases are discriminatory on two counts. First, they significantly increase the costs for a citizen to acquire the means and the training for adequate self protection. This has the adverse effect of making it cost-prohibitive for lower income citizens to exercise their natural and constitutionally protected right to bear arms.

Second, these excise taxes discriminate against gun owners by forcing them to pay an unequal share toward the common interests of public safety as outlined in the "allocation" paragraph of SEC. 4181.

As your constituent, I urge you to Oppose H.R. 5103.

Respectfully,
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bills like this make me think about how the same thing happened here in the 1770s, and it ultimately led to us throwing our "landlords" out of this part of the continent.

A tax like this just might start some trouble.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

So apparently the plan is to continue to increase the cost of firearms and ammunition until criminals are no longer able to cause violence - thus the gun violence prevention. Sounds like a great plan --- and just like almost every other plan ever dreamed up by a politician. Give us more money and we'll fix it.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

One wonders what special fund this tax money will be going into.. :roll:
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Thanks for the heads up.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Isn't this a tax on a right? Which has already been ruled unconstitutional, ie poll taxes.
Let's have "Free Speech" taxes. That'll shut down most lefties.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

AlanM wrote:Isn't this a tax on a right? Which has already been ruled unconstitutional, ie poll taxes.
What's weird is that the excise taxes have been in place since 1986, and they're just increasing them with this bill. Sounds like a boiling froggie to me.

So how about my letter? Does it seem sufficient?
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Curzyk wrote:
AlanM wrote:Isn't this a tax on a right? Which has already been ruled unconstitutional, ie poll taxes.
What's weird is that the excise taxes have been in place since 1986, and they're just increasing them with this bill. Sounds like a boiling froggie to me.

So how about my letter? Does it seem sufficient?
Very good letter. Since your representative is democrat, perhaps throw in the race card and mention that since more blacks are in the low income threshold, this bill could paint anyone who supports it as racist. Then mention the RKBA as a fundamental right that is being taxed so he should actually support eliminating the tax, not increasing it.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Javelin Man wrote:Very good letter. Since your representative is democrat, perhaps throw in the race card and mention that since more blacks are in the low income threshold, this bill could paint anyone who supports it as racist. Then mention the RKBA as a fundamental right that is being taxed so he should actually support eliminating the tax, not increasing it.
Thank you! My rep is black, so talking about how the taxes (and increasing them) disproportionately harm blacks may be a good angle. I greatly appreciate the input.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

:)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George