Newark PD refuses to take report of stolen gun

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Newark PD refuses to take report of stolen gun

Post by Chuck »

My niece's carry gun, Bersa .380 was stolen from her home two weeks ago, today I think.
She called me crying her eyes out and I sent her to the police station to report it stolen in compliance with the law.
The officer refused to make a report because she didn't have the serial number of the gun. So I sent her back to try again, with the additional instruction of getting the guy's name and badge number if he refused to make the report again.
The law says all stolen guns must be reported.

Meanwhile, she's been pursuing the matter on her own, asking the friends of the guy she suspected of taking it, and this morning called to let me know a friend of hers bought it off the street for $50 from the person who took it off the thief's hands and she has it back. She says it is damaged, the mechanical safety removed and other things. I'll see it tomorrow myself.

My questions are:
What do I do about it now?
I intended on sending the police chief a nasty-gram but hadn't gotten around to it yet. Should I go demand he do something about this little meth head and the people who buy guns off of him?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Re: Newark PD refuses to take report of stolen gun

Post by Brian D. »

If you lean in on him, be sure to record it. (I know you know that, but I'm speaking from personal experience here.) Chief getting lippy or threatening whilst in uniform can get you some traction with HIS superiors.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I would definitely complain to the Chief about the refusal to take a report. Sure, a serial number is helpful, but law says it must be reported and stolen firearms are big deals and reports should be made regardless. The report can always be amended to include the serial number so proper entry into NCIC can be made.

As for your second part....that's a tough one and one I can't answer since I don't know the police up there. Down here, since she has the property back, there really isn't much the courts will do.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Does the Narc have a record ? Is he a felon ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I don't have any advice on the situation at hand. I do however find it maddening that this is yet another failure of law enforcement to enforce/abide by the gun laws already on the books (upon books, upon more books).
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I had a firearm stolen out of my pickup truck's locked, aluminum diamond plate tool box. I gave a report to an officer who met me nearby. Following up a week or so later, I found that the information hadn't yet been entered in the National Crime Information Center computer database. Long story short, this department didn't EVER bother with entering stolen property data into the NCIC, unless someone forced their hand on the matter.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Sent U a PM 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Chiefs of Police work for a village council usually. Writing a polite letter to them detailing all that went on might bring come changes.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).