Cincinnati councilman proposing bump stock ban..

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Cincinnati councilman proposing bump stock ban..

Post by Brian D. »

So far this is just chatter. Would ORC 9.68 disallow an ordinance of this type at the city level?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Cincinnati councilman proposing bump stock ban..

Post by JustaShooter »

Since it is an accessory not a firearm I wouldn't think 9.68 covers it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

At the moment 9.68 probably doesn't cover it.

But if the feds suddenly start deciding that bumpstocks are in and of themselves firearms (a possible outcome) then ironically 9.68 would cover them. Might be a strictly academic matter if the feds ban them, though.

Still, I'm thinking there are plenty of ordinances that Ohio cities ALREADY have on their books that we can press to get repealed. After all...we beat Oberlin and Cleveland. I rather doubt any other city wants to take the same whipping. :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Morne wrote:At the moment 9.68 probably doesn't cover it.

But if the feds suddenly start deciding that bumpstocks are in and of themselves firearms (a possible outcome) then ironically 9.68 would cover them. Might be a strictly academic matter if the feds ban them, though.
Except that unless Ohio changes its definition of a firearm the federal definition of same is irrelevant. Remember how Ohio used to consider a regular semi-automatic holding 31+ rounds to be an automatic? Under Ohio law a "firearm" means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant. "Firearm" includes an unloaded firearm, and any firearm that is inoperable but that can readily be rendered operable. ORC 2923.11 (B).

But you are correct that it would largely be an academic exercise if they became federally illegal. Local authorities couldn't make arrests but they could/would gladly make referrals to ATF.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Cincinnati leaders think they've found a loophole in state law that will allow them to ban bump stocks in the city.

A bump stock isn't a gun "component," but instead is an "accessory," council attorneys say in a legal opinion released Monday by Councilman PG Sittenfeld. There's no Ohio court precedent on what counts as a component, city solicitor Paula Boggs Muething wrote, but the word's definition indicates component means a part of a gun. Therefore, she reasoned, a bump stock is not a firearm but a separate attachment or accessory.
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... a_loo.html
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

On the plus side, if DOJ relabels them as "machine guns" as have been proposed in atleast one Federal bill, the Hughes Amendment will need to be changed, thus opening up the registry of automatic rifles. I'm sure clever people can see the benefit to us of that overlooked side-effect.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

That has got to be some of the most convoluted BS I've heard in a while. How in the world is it not a component? It replaces the stock; it is not an add-on.
rickt wrote:
Cincinnati leaders think they've found a loophole in state law that will allow them to ban bump stocks in the city.

A bump stock isn't a gun "component," but instead is an "accessory," council attorneys say in a legal opinion released Monday by Councilman PG Sittenfeld. There's no Ohio court precedent on what counts as a component, city solicitor Paula Boggs Muething wrote, but the word's definition indicates component means a part of a gun. Therefore, she reasoned, a bump stock is not a firearm but a separate attachment or accessory.
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... a_loo.html
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

What is the difference between a "component" and an "accessory?"

Can Cincinnati handle any more lawsuits right now? News makes it seem like they are falling apart greatly from scandals at the top.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
docachna

Post by docachna »

It's simple to see why Cincinnati is doing this.

Optics. Pure and simple.

The Feds look like they're going to ban them -- so this is futile, right ???

Not in the mind of a Liberal Progressive. "ME, TOO, ME, TOO! !!"

SO weary of this garbage..................
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Should we spend the money to try to get an injunction to stop it from being enforced?

*We still haven't received a dime from Cleveland nor Oberlin, and we spent a lot of dimes on them
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Keep in mind so far this is just a proposal. I would recommend maybe someone drafting a letter to someone that it wouldn't be a wise move. Since the City Manager just resigned, not sure who best to draft one too.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

''We still haven't received a dime from Cleveland nor Oberlin, and we spent a lot of dimes on them''

Didnt the judge issue time limit for payment? And within judgements I would suppose is interest$$ language

As far as component vs accessory, if they r going to use made up 'definitions' , where does a 30 round mag :P clip fit?

And yes I do agree draft a letter. Free (almost) feathers in OFCC's hat :D
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

WhyNot wrote:''We still haven't received a dime from Cleveland nor Oberlin, and we spent a lot of dimes on them''

Didnt the judge issue time limit for payment? And within judgements I would suppose is interest$$ language
Actually, the Supreme Court sent it to the lower court to determine how much is "reasonable" attorney costs.
It's a fight every step of the way, even after we've won.
We might have several grand in a single motion and they rule twelve hundred is "reasonable"

The laymen's term for that is called "it sucks"
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)