Tennessee Family Dollar employee shoots thief outside store

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Tennessee Family Dollar employee shoots thief outside store

Post by bignflnut »

An employee chased the shoplifter out of the store, where he shot the the man in the foot.

Investigators said Devereaux Evans admitted to the shooting after they reviewed surveillance video that showed him hiding the gun inside the store.

Under Tennessee law, there is no self-defense argument that can be made for chasing an unarmed thief from a store and opening fire.

Evans was charged with felony aggravated assault. The shoplifter was taken to the hospital, and was expected to be charged with misdemeanor theft.
I doubt that there's no self-defense argument, but the tape should be instructive. One would assume that the thief squared up to the employee. (sigh) Making this employee a felon doesn't seem just.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Tennessee Family Dollar employee shoots thief outside st

Post by Gramps »

bignflnut wrote:
An employee chased the shoplifter out of the store, where he shot the the man in the foot.

Investigators said Devereaux Evans admitted to the shooting after they reviewed surveillance video that showed him hiding the gun inside the store.

Under Tennessee law, there is no self-defense argument that can be made for chasing an unarmed thief from a store and opening fire.

Evans was charged with felony aggravated assault. The shoplifter was taken to the hospital, and was expected to be charged with misdemeanor theft.
I doubt that there's no self-defense argument, but the tape should be instructive. One would assume that the thief squared up to the employee. (sigh) Making this employee a felon doesn't seem just.
Chasing and shooting a petty thief doesn't seem right either......... I really don't like thieves but I am not into chasing and shooting them. Now if they come in my house while I am home I wish them luck.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Allegedly the shooter denied firing when first questioned by police. Only the police are allowed to lie during an investigation, we all know that.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Shooting someone shoplifting from family dollar...what is the most expensive thing they sell? Not justified. Plain and simple unless the guy attempted to beat up the guy following him.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
k3m1c6

Post by k3m1c6 »

If the thief fled the store and the shooter chased after him, doesn't that make the shooter the aggressor at that point?
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The store employee has the right to pursue the thief. He can't shoot him though unless at some point the thief became a threat to him. All that was caught on camera was the employee hiding the gun afterward though. This may be an interesting trial.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.