Do you know anyone who has been shot?

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Do you know anyone who has been shot?

Post by Gramps »

rottman43055 wrote:
The craziest was a guy who'd been blasted with a shotgun and had the pellet marks all over his upper body & arm
I would still rather hunt with Dick Chaney than go driving with Ted Kennedy
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

When I was in the Army, I knew a LOT of people who'd been shot, blown up too. I knew a couple who'd been on the Bataan Death March, so you can add tortured.

My best friend from college got shot in the back of the leg with a .22 in a hunting accident. Didn't keep him from passing Airborne and Ranger schools.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Gramps wrote:
rottman43055 wrote:
The craziest was a guy who'd been blasted with a shotgun and had the pellet marks all over his upper body & arm
I would still rather hunt with Dick Chaney than go driving with Ted Kennedy
Unless you were a pregnant female who couldn't be talked into an abortion, I think you'd have been safe...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Yes, but all during military service
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

When I was young and stupid me and my buddy were shooting late night at a 24 hour private indoor range and we went down range and were firing within a few feet of the backstop. I got hit by a fragment of a 357 jacketed head on my cheek. Took a while to get it to stop bleeding. A few weeks later I noticed a lump and went to the doctor. Said it was just scar tissue forming. Fast forward about another two years and laying on the beach during my honeymoon and my wife says I have something shiny on my face and pulls out the copper piece! Took two years to work to the surface!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

My uncle had a piece of shrapnel received during WW2 work out of his neck in the late 50's.

About 15 years ago I was practicing with my 1911 at a 50 foot indoor club range.
A guy shooting with his lady friend two lanes to my left (we were the only people in the range at the time) suddenly yelped and said, "What the hell!"
I stopped shooting, safed my gun and went over to see what the problems was.
Lying by his foot was a 230 grain, FMJ, .45 slug with a flat spot on it's nose.
One of my rounds (on the paper BTW) had bounced nearly straight back and hit him on his jeans covered shin.
No blood, bruise probably, I kept the slug as a memento for quite some time.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

AlanM wrote:My uncle had a piece of shrapnel received during WW2 work out of his neck in the late 50's.

About 15 years ago I was practicing with my 1911 at a 50 foot indoor club range.
A guy shooting with his lady friend two lanes to my left (we were the only people in the range at the time) suddenly yelped and said, "What the hell!"
I stopped shooting, safed my gun and went over to see what the problems was.
Lying by his foot was a 230 grain, FMJ, .45 slug with a flat spot on it's nose.
One of my rounds (on the paper BTW) had bounced nearly straight back and hit him on his jeans covered shin.
No blood, bruise probably, I kept the slug as a memento for quite some time.

I’ve been the recipient of that very gift before. Never a 9mm, twice from a .45 - both times the slug was still too hot to hold comfortably.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
ulwbob
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ulwbob »

My elderly neighbor accidentally shot himself in the left thigh while trying to clean his new Glock 23. He was an old time revolver guy and had trouble getting the slide back and clearing the chamber of the Glock. He dropped the mag and skipped forward to dry firing it. Unfortunately there was still a round in the chamber and it went BANG! By the time I was called and got my old Life Squad sized first aid box out the garage door there were 4 cops, a quick response medic unit, a medic ambulance, a fire truck and a battalion chief parked in front of my house. No need for my first aid box!! The cops took his pants, gun, mag and dug the bullet out of the wall/baseboard. I cleaned up all the blood while the family went to the hospital. I even patched the wall and washed the sofa covers before they got back. Cleaned the light colored carpet too. All the confiscated items were returned by the cops the next day when they decided his wife wasn't angry at him and had shot him.

Remember to empty the chamber of your semi auto!
Bob
Mason, Ohio
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

ulwbob wrote:My elderly neighbor accidentally shot himself in the left thigh while trying to clean his new Glock 23. He was an old time revolver guy and had trouble getting the slide back and clearing the chamber of the Glock. He dropped the mag and skipped forward to dry firing it. Unfortunately there was still a round in the chamber and it went BANG! By the time I was called and got my old Life Squad sized first aid box out the garage door there were 4 cops, a quick response medic unit, a medic ambulance, a fire truck and a battalion chief parked in front of my house. No need for my first aid box!! The cops took his pants, gun, mag and dug the bullet out of the wall/baseboard. I cleaned up all the blood while the family went to the hospital. I even patched the wall and washed the sofa covers before they got back. Cleaned the light colored carpet too. All the confiscated items were returned by the cops the next day when they decided his wife wasn't angry at him and had shot him.

Another benefit of hammer fired guns - all, if not a vast majority, do not require a trigger pull to disassemble.

-Important distinction
ulwbob
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ulwbob »

My 87 y/o neighbor bought a new Glock 23 (40 cal) and was trying to learn how to disassemble for cleaning and lubrication. He forgot the part about emptying the chamber and he dry fired it before pulling the tabs down and the slide forward. It went BANG and gave his thigh and the baseboard of his bedroom wall each a large hole . Fire dept ambulance took him and wife to local hospital. I stayed behind to clean up all the blood and patch the hole in the wall. Cops confisgated the gun, mag and bullet from the wall plus his pants. No damage done. It was just like a John Wayne movie....."just a flesh wound" even though it went completely through his leg about 3 inches above his knee. He was lucky.
Bob
Mason, Ohio
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And that is why you sing the Appleseed Safety Song. :wink:

All together now...
Mag out.
Bolt back.
Safety on.
Flag in.
Rifle grounded.
Step away from the line.
ulwbob wrote:My elderly neighbor accidentally shot himself in the left thigh while trying to clean his new Glock 23. He was an old time revolver guy and had trouble getting the slide back and clearing the chamber of the Glock. He dropped the mag and skipped forward to dry firing it. Unfortunately there was still a round in the chamber and it went BANG! By the time I was called and got my old Life Squad sized first aid box out the garage door there were 4 cops, a quick response medic unit, a medic ambulance, a fire truck and a battalion chief parked in front of my house. No need for my first aid box!! The cops took his pants, gun, mag and dug the bullet out of the wall/baseboard. I cleaned up all the blood while the family went to the hospital. I even patched the wall and washed the sofa covers before they got back. Cleaned the light colored carpet too. All the confiscated items were returned by the cops the next day when they decided his wife wasn't angry at him and had shot him.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

If almost being shot qualifies, mark me down for 2.

First time was at the Deer Creek shooting range. I was still downrange hanging targets, when this person (trying to be nice) let one fly.

He was shooting an AK and I was hit by the dirt after impact. I turned around and glared at him and walked back up-range. I didn't say a word

to him, as he immediately started packing up to leave. A buddy of mine and I just looked at each other and shook our heads.

The second time, I had come home from work and my (then) roommate had just bought a Remington 1100 and was drinking a beer and cleaning it.

For some reason.... he stuck in a live round to check functionality (?) but pulled the trigger. It missed my head by about a foot, went through our ceiling

and floor of the apartment above us and peppered their ceiling. The funny part was listening him vacuum all the pellets off the neighbors carpet.

As embarrassed as he was, it was even worse because 2 of his brothers and a girlfriend were there to witness it happen.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

If almost counts, I have three times (probably more in Viet Nam, but I only have one time there that I know it was close). The other two were in Germany and one of those was when a tank on the range picked up the blackout drive on my jeep and aimed at me instead of the target that was being lit by IR lights. Luckily, the gunner was a bad shot and it hit the berm next my jeep. The impact knocked my radios off the mounts and stunned me. The tower couldn't reach me and I was just getting my bearings when the Range OIC pulled up next to me to see if I was still alive. I was still unsure what happened as I had been watching the target through my IR binoculars to see if the tank hit it. The tank was disqualified, we remounted my radios and went on shooting through the night.

The second time in Germany was one night when we were driving back to post after running tanks all night and someone on the machinegun range got confused in his turret and fired 180 degrees off the range, crossing over the road right in front of us as we hit the brakes on the jeep and rolled out onto the dirt.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

schmieg wrote:...one of those was when a tank on the range picked up the blackout drive on my jeep and aimed at me instead of the target that was being lit by IR lights. Luckily, the gunner was a bad shot and it hit the berm next my jeep. The impact knocked my radios off the mounts and stunned me.
:shock:

OK, you win the thread!!!! :shock: :shock:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

TSiWRX wrote:
schmieg wrote:...one of those was when a tank on the range picked up the blackout drive on my jeep and aimed at me instead of the target that was being lit by IR lights. Luckily, the gunner was a bad shot and it hit the berm next my jeep. The impact knocked my radios off the mounts and stunned me.
:shock:

OK, you win the thread!!!! :shock: :shock:
Maybe, but those anecdotes really aren't relative to the original question or intent of the thread.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand