Unique

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Unique

Post by Sevens »

You're in for a world of hurt in handloading if you can't keep Universal and Unique from confusing you.

Far worse was Hodgdon's dumb idea to name theee different powders "Clays." Clays, Universal Clays and International Clays.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sevens wrote:Bullseye was my first EVER powder. Still use it (a lot!) and still love it and still buy it. Starting new? No, I wouldn't recommend it because there are better alternatives.

My second ever powder was Green Dot. And it sucks. Sucked then, sucks still today. I still have some and there are occasional places where I... well, I hate it less than I typically hate it. I would never buy it again at any price, to be honest. And then one #%*%'er who I had thought was my friend gave me EIGHT pounds of it, that dirty rotten no-good so & so.

Oh yeah, I have a plan allright, I'm gonna give that crap back to him one day when he least expects it. :D

Hmm. I've often been told that Green Dot is as good in shotguns as it is bad in handguns. The complete opposite appears to be the case with that longtime standby Winchester 231.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Sevens wrote:You're in for a world of hurt in handloading if you can't keep Universal and Unique from confusing you.

Far worse was Hodgdon's dumb idea to name theee different powders "Clays." Clays, Universal Clays and International Clays.
Alliant Clay Dot?

Seriously, with all the issues with Unique (poor metering flammable dirt) there are so many better powders out there. Why bother with Unique especially when it isn't unique?
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

evan price wrote: Seriously, with all the issues with Unique (poor metering flammable dirt) there are so many better powders out there. Why bother with Unique especially when it isn't unique?
Best argument I’ve heard is that if you’re only going to stock one powder, Unique at least can be pressed into service in many things. Easy to find recipes at least.

Adequate at just about anything, exceptional at none?
The German

Post by The German »

Born German you know... :lol:
Sevens wrote:You're in for a world of hurt in handloading if you can't keep Universal and Unique from confusing you.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Ich vestehe.

I like Unique for lower pressure trap loads. Still manages velocities around 1225-1250. It's cleaner now, too.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

You might be surprised at how many different rounds can be loaded with 7.0 grains of unique, even some rifle rounds in a pinch.

Some internet guy had researched that idea, he might have called the concept "the load" or some such.

Agreed the old unique is not exactly equal to the new Unique...so data might not exactly cross over. You will find 7.0 of unique behind a 230 grain cast bullet in old manuals for 45 acp...but not in newer manuals. EDIT: I'll take that back, Lyman 49th shows 7.3.

But just a short list
38 super some bullets
38+p (guessing yes, normal 38 comes close)
357 yep
10mm yep
44-40 yep
44 special yep
44 mag yep
45 acp yep

The others that fall in between the listed ones veteran reloaders can make the same educated guesses I did and know "probably yep"

some lyman rifle loads that could use 7.0 unique
222 rem cast bullet
222mag cast bullet
223 cast bullet
225 win cast bullet
30-30 cast

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

Unique is what is pushing my cast 30 WCF loads with great success, but I haven’t tried it with any of my pistol loads.
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.