Ohio Sheriff offering free CC training to school staff

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Ohio Sheriff offering free CC training to school staff

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/national/ohio- ... sM1E5MJ2M/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He also advocates stopping an automatic leave the school response to a fire alarm merely being pulled by someone.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Ohio Sheriff offering free CC training to school staff

Post by WhyNot »

I think I will contact our local Sheriff and suggest same. Shucks I'm even willing to volunteer / help instruct

''will work for Pepsi'' sign , will travel hehe
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

But the school teachers union and left wing politicians all say that teachers don't want to be armed and be able to defend themselves and their students in the event of a school schooting. No one's going to sign up for this. School staff doesn't want what the Sheriff is peddling, they want gun control! Oh wait,

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/e ... 354298002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So, at 12:55 p.m. on Sunday, Jones pulled off to the side of the road and sent a tweet, offering free concealed carry training to teachers in Butler County. Tuesday morning, he cut off the signups at 300. Classes are expected to start as soon as next week.
From what I could gather listening to him on WLW, the 300 is only the first round. He hopes to be able at a later date to help out the hundreds more who weren't part of the first 300.
Ohio law is strict on guns in school zones. Law enforcement officers may carry weapons, but aside from that, it requires written authorization from a district’s school board for any other person to carry a gun.

So, Jones’ class is just a first step. But for any school board that doesn’t take the second step and approve teachers to carry guns, Jones thinks voters should boot the board members out of office.

“Fire them,” he said.

We have reached our limit right now, we've cut it at 300 requests. We will be in contact soon about classes and times. Thank You!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Our dearly departed friend "Tweed Ring" told me a story about Jones back when he was a deputy, not yet elected sheriff, that further confirmed what a stand up law and order type Jones is. He says what he means, without worrying if it will estrange some voters.

That tends to be the exception to the norm among elected officials.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sheriff Jones caused a few local liberal heads to explode last year, at least twice. Once was because he refuses to allow his deputies to carry narcan. The other time was when he began to allow his non-LE staff with valid CHLs to carry in the building.

For years he had some of his deputies get the needed federal certification to arrest and detain illegal immigrants when they were encountered. The Obama administration forced an end to that, unfortunately.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Face

Post by Face »

from WHIZ https://www.whiznews.com/2018/02/area-s ... f-members/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An area school district is going to take security to a new level. The Daily Jeffersonian is reporting Tuesday that members of the East Guernsey Local School Board of Education unanimously adopted a resolution authorizing the arming of some members of the staff. The Jeffersonian says the board agreed to provide “written authorization for certain persons designated by the superintendent to convey deadly weapons or dangerous ordinance in a school safety zone or to possess a deadly weapon or dangerous ordinance in a school safety zone of the East Guernsey Local School District.” The newspaper reports in order to be an armed staff member that person must be permitted under Ohio law to carry a concealed handgun.
Post Views: 26
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
747tech

Post by 747tech »

I want to see armed folks in schools for sure but I fail to understand why at least there aren’t metal detectors at school entrances to stop weapons from coming in. I know there are always folks who say a shooter if determined can get past them but if you look at airports the TSA confiscates guns all the time.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

747tech wrote:I want to see armed folks in schools for sure but I fail to understand why at least there aren’t metal detectors at school entrances to stop weapons from coming in. I know there are always folks who say a shooter if determined can get past them but if you look at airports the TSA confiscates guns all the time.
And the airport also misses a lot. Also, with kids and their clothing, metal detectors are generally a pain and require schools to open their doors earlier meaning staff working longer. In 2013 a student in an Atlanta school noticed metal detectors were down one day and so the next day he brought a firearm to school and shot another student in the neck. They go down and repairs are not instant. In 2005 a student in a Minnesota school shot the guard manning the metal detectors and then walked right in and fatally shot 7 more people.

Metal detectors are a knee jerk reaction with no real solution. They simply increase the chances of locating a weapon. And would they be operational 100% of the time? Generally they are only operational during the school day for students. So what about that 7pm concert? Or 4 pm when the school is still open but nobody is manning them? Just bring the weapon inside to store and access the next day.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

I sent Sherriff Jones a thank you note. I wish there were more sheriffs like him in Ohio and throughout the country.

Roger
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

747tech wrote:I want to see armed folks in schools for sure but I fail to understand why at least there aren’t metal detectors at school entrances to stop weapons from coming in. I know there are always folks who say a shooter if determined can get past them but if you look at airports the TSA confiscates guns all the time.
My metal toed boots set off the metal detectors at the courthouse. I got so tired of the %^$# associated with that that I just mail my real estate taxes in now.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

willbird wrote:
My metal toed boots set off the metal detectors at the courthouse. I got so tired of the %^$# associated with that that I just mail my real estate taxes in now.

Bill
The last time I was in the probate court in Hamilton County, the metal holding my lower leg together set the metal detector off. The deputies were all over me trying to find where I had hidden the weapon.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
And the airport also misses a lot. Also, with kids and their clothing, metal detectors are generally a pain and require schools to open their doors earlier meaning staff working longer. In 2013 a student in an Atlanta school noticed metal detectors were down one day and so the next day he brought a firearm to school and shot another student in the neck. They go down and repairs are not instant. In 2005 a student in a Minnesota school shot the guard manning the metal detectors and then walked right in and fatally shot 7 more people.

Metal detectors are a knee jerk reaction with no real solution. They simply increase the chances of locating a weapon. And would they be operational 100% of the time? Generally they are only operational during the school day for students. So what about that 7pm concert? Or 4 pm when the school is still open but nobody is manning them? Just bring the weapon inside to store and access the next day.
Don't forget the backup it can cause. Why try to get in when everyone is still outside trying to get through the detectors. When I went to HS in Piqua, they had us use a badge to open the outside doors to get in but it was also used to take attendance. Meaning each child had to wait their turn to scan and when they had only 2 scanners one on each side. It took upwards of 20-30 mins to get in if you was in the back of the line.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.