Double LODD Westerville Ohio

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Re: Double LODD Westerville Ohio

Post by Bruenor »

Hope this guy gets the max sentence.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/ ... bough.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gerald Lawson III, 30, was arrested by federal authorities on Monday and charged with acting as a straw purchaser for Quentin Smith. Smith, 30, is accused of fatally shooting Westerville police officers Eric Joering and Anthony Morelli, who were responding to a domestic disturbance call.

Smith, who used to live in Euclid and a felony conviction for burglary, is not allowed to own a gun. Lawson knew this, as he and Smith were friends and Lawson visited Smith while Smith was in prison, yet Lawson still purchased the gun for Smith, according to an affidavit filed by an agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

A witness told investigators that Smith gave Lawson money to buy the Glock pistol, as well as an extra $100 for compensation. Records show Lawson bought the gun in May at a Stonewall Ltd. Gun Shop and Pistol Range in Broadview Heights, the affidavit states.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

As he should...one year for each ten dollars he made..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Sorry I disagree....having the gun at any ready position is faster then drawing from a holster.....specially from a duty holster....
As I understand it, Col. Dave Grossman first proposed that from decision to shoot to shot on target was the same from holster or low-ready. I called BS when I first heard it too. And then I saw several timer tests done by different groups, and there was essentially no difference (within a couple tenths of a second either way, depending on the person). I then did my own timer tests and saw the same thing. If you regularly practice your draw stroke from the holster, you may actually be slightly *faster*. Don't believe it? Do like I did and test it. Get a few friends together with a timer and have a ball.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I think were on 2 different pages here....You are talking controlled situations...I'm talking down and dirty in the field when a LEO has to act...No way can he draw from a duty holster faster then at a at one of the ready position....

Ask a cop...
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I think were on 2 different pages here....You are talking controlled situations...I'm talking down and dirty in the field when a LEO has to act...No way can he draw from a duty holster faster then at a at one of the ready position....

Ask a cop...
And that is the big key....In a controlled situation, shooting at paper, hit rate is about 90% for law enforcement officers. I think range usage where cover and concealment and moving are used only drops it to about 85%. Yet, in the real world, the rate is about 12-18% on target.

I'm with Carmen on this one. People put down Serpa saying one can train all they want at the range with them and be fine, but in real self-defense scenario they can be dangerous. You can't then say drawing from the holster and low ready are the same time on target in practice and real life.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

{Putting on flame-resistant gear} Every year at the TDI event, whether for BFA or OFCC, there were people in attendance who struggled to draw their handgun from under concealment. Some of them claimed to carry regularly, with that same gear and clothing, for years.

I've observed the same thing at similar training elsewhere, and on the match circuit for decades now. Some of them were LE, wearing a jacket of some kind, using their duty gear.

And, even the "best" of us fumble the draw a little on infrequent occasions, under just the pressure of a shot timer.

All that stated, I don't think in hand(s) at low ready should become the new default mode for LE.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Maybe not the default mode...I agree....but in certain situations like, a domestic when a felon is involved. Or they know for sure there are weapons involved on a call...
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

This creep had a violent rap sheet over the years...Including prison time..
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

If my county sheriff's deputies started drawing their guns every time they pulled up I would stop calling them and go back to dealing with situations myself.
*The last time I called them for a trespasser, for instance
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

carmen fovozzo wrote:ALl calls, And I mean all....will require officers to have to their weapons drawn as soon as they get out of their squads and until the call is verified safe.
carmen fovozzo wrote:Maybe not the default mode...I agree....but in certain situations like, a domestic when a felon is involved. Or they know for sure there are weapons involved on a call...
Change of heart? :wink:

Honestly, I thought that they already handled interactions with known violent felons with drawn handguns...
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:ALl calls, And I mean all....will require officers to have to their weapons drawn as soon as they get out of their squads and until the call is verified safe.
carmen fovozzo wrote:Maybe not the default mode...I agree....but in certain situations like, a domestic when a felon is involved. Or they know for sure there are weapons involved on a call...

Honestly, I thought that they already handled interactions with known violent felons with drawn handguns...
Back in the day the few times that I knew beforehand that I was going to have an interaction with a known violent felon who was likely armed, my handgun stayed in the holster. (only because I had a 12 gauge in my hands)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

JustaShooter wrote:

Yeah...apparently not in this case...do you think the police are at war ?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

carmen fovozzo wrote:do you think the police are at war ?
I think in some jurisdictions it is very close to warfare. And, I think that in many jurisdictions the increase in former military personnel in the ranks of law-enforcement lends a certain mindset to their departments and colors their approach to some situations. Add to that the way many departments are gearing up their officers, even outside of specialized teams like SWAT, and it starts to have that flavor more and more.
NRA Life Member

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

https://www.10tv.com/article/records-de ... rs-murders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prior to Saturday's fatal shootings of the officers, Westerville Police had responded to Quentin Smith's apartment at least five times in the past six months - according to reports obtained by 10 Investigates.
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

And they already grabbed the straw buyer:

https://www.10tv.com/article/man-charge ... e-officers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An undisclosed witness told investigators Smith provided Lawson money for the firearm and an extra $100 to compensate Lawson – who knew Smith had been convicted of a felony – for buying the gun for him.
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...