Deputy fatally shoots teen in Ohio courtroom

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Deputy fatally shoots teen in Ohio courtroom

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/local/authorit ... p0O3FKkVI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just some basic information so far.
Bruenor

Re: Deputy fatally shoots teen in Ohio courtroom

Post by Bruenor »

Daily Mail has some pictures of this delinquent. Tattoos at 16, pants sagging, grabbing his crotch, flashing some sign. Looks like a future doctor or rocket scientist..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... troom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

additional info

http://www.whio.com/news/local/attorney ... Jrpfhl3nJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

comments from an attorney
"Joseph was a little out of sorts because of how things went at the hearing," Brisco told the paper. "The officer threatened to lock him up and a scuffle broke out. Joseph was resisting, and that's when there was a scuffle."

Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien told the newspaper the teen was also upset by a judge's order that he continue to wear an electronic monitoring device.
and the usual comments from a relative.
The boy's grandmother told the newspaper the deputy should have used a stun gun.

"There was no reason why that cop would have been terrified of Joey," Geraldine Hayes said.
comments from the FOP
The deputy, who has not been identified, sustained bruises and cuts consistent with someone who'd been in a hand-to-hand confrontation, Keith Ferrell, executive vice president of the Fraternal Order of Police lodge that represents Franklin County deputies, said Thursday.

"It sounds like the deputy had no choice," Ferrell said.

The hearing involved a firearms charge against the boy, Rick Minerd, investigations chief with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office, said Wednesday.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Wonder if the boy went for the deputy's gun or the deputy thought he was going for his gun.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

FormerNavy wrote:Wonder if the boy went for the deputy's gun or the deputy thought he was going for his gun.
Maybe if there's any video it'll show something.

Here's another link:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/18/te ... mbers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The FOP version:
A deputy was “viciously attacked” by a 16-year-old boy and his family in an Ohio courthouse after a hearing Wednesday, a police union spokesperson said Thursday -- despite the instance of the slain teen’s family that excessive force was used.
A police union spokesman, who is representing the unnamed deputy, disputed reports Thursday the encounter was a “scuffle,” saying it was an “attack” on the officer.

“He responded, came in there and was violently attacked by multiple people,” the spokesman said at a news conference.

Referring to the deputy’s injuriest, the spokesman said: “What was very clear to me in my experience is that he was attacked and this was a fight for his life at some point. He was assaulted.”
The Grandmother:
Haynes' grandmother, Geraldine, told FOX28 Columbus the deputy and the teen’s mother got into an argument. Investigators said the deputy was knocked to the ground and was “under attack.” But Geraldine disputed that account.

"There was no reason why that cop would have been terrified of Joey,"
She added: "Joey went over, grabbed him by his shoulders and the guy slung him around and slung Joey to the ground. And then he got on top of Joey. And then Joey's hands were up in the air like that and the cop with his hand down by his side and the gun went off. He pulled the trigger on my grandson."
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Play stupid games, ...
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I think this kid is a hero and his funeral should be covered by the State, all expenses paid. He has saved the taxpayers of this city, county, state and nation a lifetime (or perhaps a few years or couple decades) of money for his care and rehabilitation and subsequent re-arrest, arraignment, trial, sentencing (multiple times, I'm sure.)

Yes, Grandma, he "was a good boy" and he's finally done something to benefit every life he touches.

Prayers for the deputy involved.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I sat my almost twelve year old grandson down the other day and told him very specifically, if you fight with a cop, you are probably going to die; if you don't die, you will be the exception and not the rule.
No matter what the circumstances are, no matter where it happens, if you hit a cop, he can and probably will kill you.
My grandson understands.

Too bad this punk's grandmother never had that conversation with him
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)