Ohio Theater Columbus: funny encounter

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Ohio Theater Columbus: funny encounter

Post by evan price »

I recently attended the Phantom of the Opera as an adult date night with Mrs. Price. Wonderful venue and wonderful site.
During intermission i stood up to stretch my aching knee and did a few twists. The tier of seats behind me was occupied by a party including a lady with a big red leather purse that she had at her feet. She'd neglected to zip it closed. Clearly visible in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster was the butt of a J-frame revolver.
I couldn't agree with her holster choice but at least it was holstered.
As i stretched my back some of her party returned and she picked up her purse, realized it was unzipped, looked at me, and said "I keep forgetting to close this."
So i said, "I too carry a J-frame."
She looked at me curiously and said, "Everywhere?"
I said unless it's something else. She smiled.
We had a moment. It was great.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Ohio Theater Columbus: funny encounter

Post by Chuck »

great story!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Surprising you could carry in a theater.

I my neck of the woods every stinking theater is posted, so's we usually wait until it's on the shelves for rent to see a new movie.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Surprising you could carry in a theater.

I my neck of the woods every stinking theater is posted, so's we usually wait until it's on the shelves for rent to see a new movie.
He's talking live theater. It has been my experience that such establishments either aren't posted or they do so in a very inconspicuous manner. Unlike movie theaters they don't have giant posters of rules plastered all about. They also don't draw the kind of clientèle that necessitate anti-social behavior rules to more easily facilitate ejections.

Back in 2005/2006 I was seeing a lot of shows at the Playhouse Square (Cleveland) venues because my sister in law was involved with them. I didn't carry back then due to the liquor license issue but honest to gosh if I didn't go half a dozen times before I finally noticed a prohibition etched in the glass on the doors from the garage. Not only that but it was placed in such a manner that if somebody was holding the door for you (very common) there's no way you'd even know there was something to look at if you examined the inside part of the door on your way in.

I haven't been down there in 10+ years so I have no idea what the current state is. My wife and daughter saw a show there late last year and in leafing through their program I didn't see any mention in the house rules section.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Haven't looked lately to see if the local (non-movie) theaters are posted or not. We have several downtown plus one in Eden Park overlooking downtown.

I'm a little bored today, but not enough to risk my car on icy roads to find out what's posted.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

djthomas wrote: He's talking live theater.
Yes. This was the Ohio Theater in downtown Columbus.
Most people park in the underground State house garage across the street. Not all of us can legally so we don't.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Surprising you could carry in a theater.

My local movie theater is not posted. (yet) All the others in my area are, but they're farther away from home anyway. I don't think with their ticket prices that they can afford to drive away the few customers they got.

b.t.w., Great story Even Price :)
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Watched Phantom of the Opera last year in Indy. Not only did they have gunbuster signs, they had metal detectors and armed “security”....

Was a long cold walk back to the car...
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

TJW815 wrote:Watched Phantom of the Opera last year in Indy. Not only did they have gunbuster signs, they had metal detectors and armed “security”....

Was a long cold walk back to the car...
Good for you, and hope you called them and left them know why you left when you got home.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

That warmed my heart.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."