Pellet Rifle for Small Game

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WeinerDog

Pellet Rifle for Small Game

Post by WeinerDog »

I was thinking about eating after an EMP attack or monetary collapse and thought I’d get a .22 rifle to kill the many squirrel and rabbits behind my house. I was concerned about the noise as neighbors are close and authorities could be looking to confiscate weapons.
So, can someone offer expert advice about pellet shooting rifles that are sufficient for the task ? Preferably under $200 but if it takes more to get quality that’s not a problem. Also what scope would be a good fit. Thanks !!!
M-Quigley

Re: Pellet Rifle for Small Game

Post by M-Quigley »

WeinerDog wrote:I was thinking about eating after an EMP attack or monetary collapse and thought I’d get a .22 rifle to kill the many squirrel and rabbits behind my house. I was concerned about the noise as neighbors are close and authorities could be looking to confiscate weapons.
So, can someone offer expert advice about pellet shooting rifles that are sufficient for the task ? Preferably under $200 but if it takes more to get quality that’s not a problem. Also what scope would be a good fit. Thanks !!!
I don't have an answer, but I was thinking of getting a pellet rifle for small game also. Not because of any TEOTWAWKI situation, but simply because there is a lot of small game on my property that might be unsafe to shoot at with a .22, depending on where they are standing. The wife would like some wild rabbit. None of the critters want to make it convenient and stand in front of my private range. :lol:
Face

Post by Face »

Isn't Pyramid air local to you? number 1 online air rifle store - no idea if they havd an actual store.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
ruger

Post by ruger »

I bought a Crosman Redtail .22 caliber pellet rifle just before Christmas. Haven’t shot it yet but its muzzle velocity is rated at 900 ft per second. Synthetic stock and came with a 4x32 fixed scope.

Fin Feather had them on special for $99.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Lots of them avail these days with "suppressors" on them some even come in multi caliber .177 and .22 barrels that you can swap included.
Gamo, Beeman, Ruger and Remington are carried at Walmart in that price range. You will probably want something that is break action, not multi-pump or Co2, as those will probably not meet your requirements.

In the higher price range (some from Pyramyd) there are the high pressure rifles, that you can charge from a scuba tank or 2 stage air pump..

Aside from that, pyramyd air is your best bet for anything air gun related.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Newcomer
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Newcomer »

You missed a great sale at Kame’s before Christmas. They had a Beeman quiet-tek in .177 for $69
"You don't have to agree with everything I say...but eventually you'll come to your senses."
http://www.gunauction.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

As I understand it a true suppressor is legal on a air rifle!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

I have taken some rabbits with my Crosman (.177). It’s very quiet.
https://www.crosman.com/nitro-venom-dusk-177
You can pick these up under $150
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

the search filter on Pyramyd Airs site is pretty nice.. Price range, caliber, noise level

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Stoeger_ ... /2406/4822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin ... /3367/6473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin ... /4319/8341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin ... /3580/6909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin ... /3733/7177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you select anything 1100 fps or under that should be subsonic, so it will make less noise.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin ... /3367/6472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .22 cal 900 fps
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I have one of the early .22 Gamo's, that came with the integrated "suppressor". I was not impressed with the suppressor, but it does make a nice hand grip when cocking the rifle. It is a springer, so there was a certain amount of twang when shooting, and the trigger sucked. I put an after market trigger in, and did the pneumatic upgrade - replaced the coil spring with a pneumatic tube. Got rid of the twang, but it increased the velocity so much that even the heavy .22 pellets have a distinctive crack when fired. It is no longer my "backyard critter gitter" because of the noise. But would certainly suffice for small game hunting, in the event.
As for quiet hunting at short range, my .22 Marlin bolt rifle and Colibri ammo is the best. Colibri has no powder, just a light projectile and the primer. When target shooting I can hear the firing pin strike, and hear the bullet hit a can. Nothing else. I know for a fact that the Colibri bounces off a racoon, but squirrels & rabbits are not so immune.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I carried on a war with ground squirrels (mistakenly called chipmunks by many) with a Crossman 760 air rifle. They were causing my poured slab patio to sink.
For the first three summers after we moved into our house in the Fairlawn area of Akron I would sit in the dining room window on weekends and pick off the little bastards while I had my morning coffee.
I usually used my firewood pile as a backstop.
I have an inexpensive 4x scope on it and got pretty darned good at sniping without disturbing my neighbors.

What I find nice about this particular air rifle is the pellet "magazines" that are available for it.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

Question guys: I have bad arthritis in my hands; are most pellet rifles that you could hunt
with difficult to cock ?
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

Tech mike, I assume the Colibri ammo won’t work with magazine fed guns. Not enough power correct ? Will it work with ANY bolt action?
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

WeinerDog wrote:Tech mike, I assume the Colibri ammo won’t work with magazine fed guns. Not enough power correct ? Will it work with ANY bolt action?
It won't work with a semi-auto, not enough oomph to cycle the action. It works fine in my mag-fed bolt action. It will also work in revolvers, but is not nearly as quiet. I know of no reason why it would not work in any bolt action. YMMV
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

WeinerDog wrote:Question guys: I have bad arthritis in my hands; are most pellet rifles that you could hunt
with difficult to cock ?
Hey WD, my Gamo is a bit stiff to cock. It wasn't too bad out-of-the-box, but I had to upgrade it to the pneumatic tube, and now it is a handful. I would suggest dropping a line to Pyramyd Air and ask them their recommendation. Link below.
https://www.pyramydair.com/contact-us