Woman pardoned by Christie pushes for change in laws

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Woman pardoned by Christie pushes for change in laws

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/national-govt- ... IDLCjR6TI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the Senate needs or allows testimony this woman should be allowed to testify. Regardless, she makes very good points.
Brian D.

Re: Woman pardoned by Christie pushes for change in laws

Post by Brian D. »

She does make good points, but how did she NOT know that her license wasn't good "everyplace"? I can't imagine a competent instructor skipping over such an important point.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Brian D. wrote:I can't imagine a competent instructor skipping over such an important point.
Careful there or you'll help make the anti's argument. PA doesn't require any kind of training to get a license. $20 and the ability to properly and truthfully fill out an application form is all you need.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

djthomas wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I can't imagine a competent instructor skipping over such an important point.
Careful there or you'll help make the anti's argument. PA doesn't require any kind of training to get a license. $20 and the ability to properly and truthfully fill out an application form is all you need.
Yeah I should have remembered that, since I had a Pa. non-resident license for a while. I guess the state doesn't have applicants read anything else as part of the process then.

Still, it was on her to know something about the rights, restrictions and responsibilities of a carry license.

********************************************************************************
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian:

IMHO, when the case (and the defendant's life) depend on some obscure corner of another state's law, "you should have known" barely applies if there's no textbook or approved course.

Up until a couple years ago, PA's licensing - particular for non-residents - was about as loose as it could be. Sign here and pay the clerk....

Expecting non-residents, let alone licensed residents, to understand the "but not you" provision in the Ohio CHL code with regards to "unless authorized" should be a warning to us all.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sorry Stu, I can't buy into that. We live in an age where the knowledge of the universe is literally at. Our. Fingertips. Let's say you get a driver's license and travel to other states. Yes, your license is recognized there, but it would be folly to assume the traffic laws are the same there.

Or taking a trip to another nation and assuming that Ohio driver's license is recognized there.

pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Brian D. wrote:Sorry Stu, I can't buy into that. We live in an age where the knowledge of the universe is literally at. Our. Fingertips. Let's say you get a driver's license and travel to other states. Yes, your license is recognized there, but it would be folly to assume the traffic laws are the same there.

Or taking a trip to another nation and assuming that Ohio driver's license is recognized there.
Putting any two states' traffic codes in a side by side comparison would show far more similarities than differences. The fundamentals are identical. That isn't the case with concealed carry laws.

Using your driver's license in another country - yes, most people understand it isn't recognized. Traveling where a passport is required sets the expectation for most people that things are different.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

pk47 wrote:Using your driver's license in another country - yes, most people understand it isn't recognized.
My Ohio DL has been recognized in many countries, allowing me to obtain a rental car and drive away.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

scottb wrote:
pk47 wrote:Using your driver's license in another country - yes, most people understand it isn't recognized.
My Ohio DL has been recognized in many countries, allowing me to obtain a rental car and drive away.
But, didn't you have that information ahead of time? My point is that the woman pardoned by Governor Beachhog (Christie) shouldn't have assumed that her home-state-issued concealed carry license was valid everyplace else.

scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

I did. I tend to do my research. I am a Engineer/Project Manager and am not at all keen on surprises.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Face

Post by Face »

All one needs to do is look at certain Facebook CCW (CHL) groups. The abundance of "idiots" just amazes me.

Then the same "idiots" will argue the point.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Traveling from state to state unimpeded is a right I have enjoyed all my life. Because I am not of the criminal persuasion I don't recall ever having to be concerned about my normal activities becoming criminal at the state line. Excluding the recent pot foolishness, I can't think of any other activity that causes ordinary citizens to even have to think about various state laws than carrying/transporting a firearm. I'm sure there are some other examples but not on the scale of the various state firearms laws.

We expect anyone who obtains a CHL to know all about these issues and keep up to date on the laws. We also (some of us) advocate for constitutional carry. Go figure. I expect there are more like this lady out there.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian D. wrote:Sorry Stu, I can't buy into that. We live in an age where the knowledge of the universe is literally at. Our. Fingertips. Let's say you get a driver's license and travel to other states. Yes, your license is recognized there, but it would be folly to assume the traffic laws are the same there.
Brian:

There are crazy things in the CHL law in OH that a "visitor" might a nasty surprise if his/her source isn't very well done. There are also states that refuse to honor the Federal laws for "transit", and may also find ways to make travel across a state a felony. Going to visit family in New Castle could be a major hassle, and you can probably see the city from hilltops in OH on the way....

While I hate to see the Federal Government involved, and prefer some sort of minimal testing and backgrounding in obtaining a CHL, things are still a mess, IMHO. I have a buddy who's a retired LEO who thinks he can carry in a Church or Synagogue.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם