Wasp Spray vs Pepper Spray

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Wasp spray vs Pepper Spray

Poll ended at Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 am

Told to use wasp spray by Concealed Carry Instructor
No votes
Told to use wasp spray by police officer
No votes
Told to use by self defense instructor (non-CHL/PD)
No votes
Heard on internet
31%
Lawyer's recommendation
No votes
Sticking with pepper spray (comment below on why)
69%

Total votes: 13

dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Wasp Spray vs Pepper Spray

Post by dl1911 »

Once again came across people who have been told to use wasp spray instead of pepper spray. Curious as to how many others have heard this and from where. Will post links to videos and articles on this from my research next weekend.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Wasp Spray vs Pepper Spray

Post by techmike »

Sorry, I have never heard of using wasp spray in a defensive situation. Would seem that the holster for such a can would be very large. :D
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

techmike wrote:Sorry, I have never heard of using wasp spray in a defensive situation. Would seem that the holster for such a can would be very large. :D
I think in most cases they are talking around the house. The idea behind it is that the range is much greater and overall it'such cheaper to keep on hand. I have never told a person to use it against a person but I have told people if needed, use it against a vicious dog.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Hyflyer

Post by Hyflyer »

In the trucking world, I have heard/seen drivers that keep wasp spray in their trucks and recommend it because ...
1 it's not illegal
2 it's not "against company policy"
3 sometimes they really have to deal with bees/wasps/hornets
4 it does have a long range and can make more than just wasps decide there's someplace else they'd rather bee (<-- bee :lol: see what I did :D )

I'm of the belief anything can be a weapon, just depends how you hold it :mrgreen: but I think it would take a direct hit in someones eyes to actually be a physical deterrent. Personally, I don't think I would rely on wasp spray doing anything to a person other than making them madder / more aggressive than they already were.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I'm a WASP so I assume it would work on me.
Would it work as well on a Catholic or a Jew?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

AlanM wrote:I'm a WASP so I assume it would work on me.
Would it work as well on a Catholic or a Jew?
That's funny :o
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The wasp spray advice hangs on like that one about "Shoot the intruder while he's still on your porch, then drag the body inside."
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Seems like it would be easier just to get pepper spray with a longer spray distance if that's the concern. Not hard to find.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I've heard it in a context similar to HyFlyer. Corporate policy prohibits concealed carry, and pepper spray. If anyone questions a can of wasp spray in your office you are possibly allergic to bee stings...

Is it effective ? I have no idea.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bruenor wrote:I've heard it in a context similar to HyFlyer. Corporate policy prohibits concealed carry, and pepper spray. If anyone questions a can of wasp spray in your office you are possibly allergic to bee stings...

No, it's not particularly effective to quickly incapacitate or stop human beings. Think of it as the chemical/tactical equivalent of carrying and displaying an empty gun to scare away bad guys.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I've had to use ether on a dog once... It was a handy deterrent. Works good on wasps too. :D
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

I've heard of doing this as well. I can't speak for the legalities at all, IANAL but I found this online. May be helpful.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/700 ... pper-spray" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reasons 2,3 and 4 kind of caught my eye.

LW
Sherlock Holmes : "You have arms, I suppose?"
Dr. Watson : "Yes, I thought it well to take them."
Sherlock Holmes : "Most certainly. Keep your revolver near you night and day and never relax your precautions"

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "The Hound of the Baskervilles"
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

sodbuster95 wrote:Seems like it would be easier just to get pepper spray with a longer spray distance if that's the concern. Not hard to find.
The usual reason is that proper chemical defense sprays are unlawful to possess/carry.

There are places which (by law) force women (especially) to either submit to robbery, rape, etc., (or urinate on themselves) rather than defend themselves in any way which might harm their attacker.

It isn't about guns. When they ban mace and pepper spray, it's about a hatred for victims and self-defense.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Brian D. wrote:
Bruenor wrote:I've heard it in a context similar to HyFlyer. Corporate policy prohibits concealed carry, and pepper spray. If anyone questions a can of wasp spray in your office you are possibly allergic to bee stings...

No, it's not particularly effective to quickly incapacitate or stop human beings. Think of it as the chemical/tactical equivalent of carrying and displaying an empty gun to scare away bad guys.
So are you say in you will be the test case at fun and gun to see if it works. :lol:
Black Rifles Matter