LEO of the month, January 2018 Take 2...

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

LEO of the month, January 2018 Take 2...

Post by cashman966 »

Oh look, two of the over one million LEOs not fitting the Anti cop narrative.

‘Daring’ state police rescue of man in Merrimack River

By the time a state police helicopter piloted by Trooper John Hazelrigg and carrying Tactical Flight Officer Russ Phippen arrived on scene, Procopio said, they could see that the man “was now neck high” and “was becoming immobile and likely hypothermic.”

Procopio said, Hazelrigg flew so low that “the aircraft’s skids were in the water” and Phippen “opened the door and, strapped in, hung outside the helicopter and grabbed the hypothermic victim, who was not moving on his own.”

Procopio said the man was pulled aboard and flown to Lowell Hospital, where he received emergency care and was expected to survive.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: LEO of the month, January 2018 Take 2...

Post by Javelin Man »

Good thing the man didn't reach toward his waist....
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I like to think I have a good sense of humor.....but that wasn't funny..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Lowell police and firefighters responded about 7 p.m. to a report of a person screaming in the river in the area of the Aiken Street Bridge, state police spokesman David Procopio said. There, firefighters located an emotionally distraught man who was sitting in “waist-deep, icy water,” Procopio said.
How many times do police show up to a scene and an emotionally distraught man is suddenly put down because the officers feared for their lives and thought the scared (or scary) man was suddenly going for a (nonexistant) weapon?

Too many times for it to be funny. :cry:

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I've never flown a helicopter but I understand hovering to be the single most complicated maneuver the pilot of any aircraft can perform. If you screw up three inches above solid ground it'll be a rough landing. Putting the skids IN the water? That's skill.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Javelin Man wrote:
Lowell police and firefighters responded about 7 p.m. to a report of a person screaming in the river in the area of the Aiken Street Bridge, state police spokesman David Procopio said. There, firefighters located an emotionally distraught man who was sitting in “waist-deep, icy water,” Procopio said.
How many times do police show up to a scene and an emotionally distraught man is suddenly put down because the officers feared for their lives and thought the scared (or scary) man was suddenly going for a (nonexistant) weapon?

Too many times for it to be funny. :cry:
I don't know, please enlighten us when you find out. And while you are at it, please provide the number of times they show up on a scene and the emotional distraught man is not "put down".
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

djthomas wrote:I've never flown a helicopter but I understand hovering to be the single most complicated maneuver the pilot of any aircraft can perform. If you screw up three inches above solid ground it'll be a rough landing. Putting the skids IN the water? That's skill.
I've never flown a real helicopter either, but had the opportunity to use a Jet ranger simulator once. The best thing I can say is I somehow avoided crashing. :roll:
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

The Washington Post is not a very reliable source, but a decent start.
Twenty-five percent of people shot and killed by police during the first half of this year were identified by police or family members as mentally ill, according to a Washington Post analysis of nearly 400 police killings.

The Post conducted the investigation to highlight situations that most frequently lead to fatal shootings.

About half of the 400 shootings occurred after family members, neighbors or bystanders sought help from the police because someone was acting suicidal, behaving erratically or threatening violence.
emphasis mine.

How's about a Ruderman Foundation study?
Almost half of the people who die at the hands of police have some kind of disability, according to a new report, as officers are often drawn into emergencies where urgent care may be more appropriate than lethal force.

The report, published by the Ruderman Family Foundation, a disability organization, proposes that while police interactions with minorities draw increasing scrutiny, disability and health considerations are still neglected in media coverage and law enforcement policy.

"Police have become the default responders to mental health calls," write the authors, historian David Perry and disability expert Lawrence Carter-Long, who analyzed incidents from 2013 to 2015. They propose that "people with psychiatric disabilities" are presumed to be "dangerous to themselves and others" in police interactions.
Read into these reports as you wish. I spent 15 seconds typing in Mentally Ill shot by police into Google.

3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Javelin Man wrote:The Washington Post is not a very reliable source, but a decent start.

And using the WP database, of the 236 people killed by police in 2017 identified as having some type of "mental Illness" (never defined or disclosed who identified them as such) 12 were unarmed, with an additional 5 unknown if armed or not. So

Here are stories about those 12 unarmed shootings

1) Jean Pedro Pierre, after he physically attacked the officer, he was tased and batoned, then he was shot after trying to assault a second officer.

Shooting of Jean Pedro Pierre 12-6-2017-Lauderdale Lakes Fla.

2) William Porubsky was tased after physically attacking the officer, then shot after he attempted a second assault on a different officer.

Body camera released: Man killed by Stow police tried to attack officer

3) Brian Easley was shot by a SWAT officer as he held 2 bank employees hostage for 3 hours. The former Marine claimed to not want to hurt anyone but said he had a bomb that could take out the whole room.

Man killed after hostage standoff at Cobb County bank

4) Hayden Stutz was holding his girlfriend hostage and was shot as he was dragging into a bush where he told police he had a gun.

Canton police shoot, kill suspect who was holding woman against her will

5) David Eric Ufferman, not much more than initial details but he physically attacked the officer who deployed his taser to no effect, then was shot.

Family of Delray man killed by trooper gives details about night of shooting

6) Christopher Apostolos had an arm around an officers neck and was shot by the officer's partner as he reached for the first officer's the gun.

Toms River Officer Fired Fatal Shot As Man Held Partner By Neck, Reached For His Gun: Prosecutor

7) Joshua Henry, a murder suspect out on bond who was physically assaulting the officer who shot him.

Man suspected in December murder killed by Grand Prairie police during altercation

8 ) Nana Adomako was assaulting the officer, after several hits to the head the officer shot the man. This was after he had assaulted and threatened to kill a shop employee.

Fremont: Man fatally shot by police nearly knocked out officer, report says

9) Jonathan Sper, who after assaulting his brother and two officers, including throwing them down a flight of stairs, was shot after getting back into the house where his brother was.

Prosecutor: Deadly force reasonable in fatal shooting of mentally ill man

10) Daniel Rogers was shot and killed after assaulting the officer, breaking multiple boned in the officer's face and giving him a concussion.

Body Camera Video of Springfield Officer-Involved Shooting Released

11) William Tucker Mathis was shot after violating a protection order by breaking into his estranged wife's house while she was home, trying to strangle one officer, and fighting with two other officers.

Police Shoot, Kill Suspect In Howard County

12) Finally we have one that does fit the anti cop agenda and low and behold the officer has been charged with 2nd degree murder for shooting Dustin Pigeon, a suicidal man threatening to set himself on fire.

Dustin Pigeon family learns Tuesday that police officer is charged in shooting death

And while I feel that any death due to police action is unfortunate. to claim that someone is "lucky" they were not killed by police is just ridiculous. In 2016 there were an estimated 1.1 million arrests made, and probably 10 times that amount of police interactions not resulting in arrest. So not being killed by police is quite the opposite of lucky from a pure chance point of view it is by far the expected outcome as the odds of an encounter with police resulting your death are infinitesimally small. Unless of course you are threatening them, armed or unarmed, then I would guess the odds go up dramatically.

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

That's pretty good homework there, I don't care WHOyar...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY