Just another example of + benefits to reciprocity

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Just another example of + benefits to reciprocity

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/c ... 951199001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A man who attempted to rob a 71-year-old man and his wife in a parking lot in October 2016 was sentenced to prison this week.

Edward James LaBlanc was sentenced to 12 years in the state penitentiary for second-degree attempted robbery, the maximum sentence available, according to the Minnehaha County State's Attorney's Office.
Here is the link to the original story

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/c ... /92662772/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The man who shot the suspect had minor injuries and his wife was not hurt. He will not be charged because he legally had the weapon and shot in self-defense, Clemens said.

Although the man is from Oklahoma, he is legally allowed to conceal carry because of reciprocity laws between his home state and South Dakota.
The story would've turned out far differently for the victim had the crime occurred in a few other states. :(
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Just another example of + benefits to reciprocity

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/c ... 951199001/
A man who attempted to rob a 71-year-old man and his wife in a parking lot in October 2016 was sentenced to prison this week.

Edward James LaBlanc was sentenced to 12 years in the state penitentiary for second-degree attempted robbery, the maximum sentence available, according to the Minnehaha County State's Attorney's Office.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/c ... /92662772/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The man who shot the suspect had minor injuries and his wife was not hurt. He will not be charged because he legally had the weapon and shot in self-defense, Clemens said.

Although the man is from Oklahoma, he is legally allowed to conceal carry because of reciprocity laws between his home state and South Dakota.
The story would've turned out far differently for the victim had the crime occurred in a few other states. :(
Or had the shooter been from Ohio since Minnesota no longer honors the Ohio license.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/c ... 951199001/

Or had the shooter been from Ohio since Minnesota no longer honors the Ohio license.

Regardless, I told a friend of mine that I'd go up there in 2018 to go ice fishing with him. Now I'm starting to question my decision even more. :roll:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Before they passed concealed carry, you could carry openly in Minnesota out in the woods, but now you need to have a Minnesota or reciprocal license to do that.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Sounds like Minnesota wants to cut down on their tourism industry. Most sportsman have a CCW, at least most of my hunter friends do.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Supposedly the excuse is Ohio no longer requires CHL holders to be 21 under certain circumstances. If they were really concerned about that, couldn't they have just said that the Ohio CHL was only valid if you were 21+?

Supposedly I can get an out of state Minn permit for $100, takes 30 days, good for 5 years. If I were frequently traveling to Minn it might be worth it I guess, but don't know at this point yet if I'll be wanting to do that after this trip.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:Supposedly the excuse is Ohio no longer requires CHL holders to be 21 under certain circumstances. If they were really concerned about that, couldn't they have just said that the Ohio CHL was only valid if you were 21+?

Supposedly I can get an out of state Minn permit for $100, takes 30 days, good for 5 years. If I were frequently traveling to Minn it might be worth it I guess, but don't know at this point yet if I'll be wanting to do that after this trip.
I believe the real reason is the election of some very liberal politicians there.

Don't know if it has changed, but a few years ago to get a non-resident license in Minnesota you had to attend an approved class in Minnesota.
-- Mike

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:Supposedly the excuse is Ohio no longer requires CHL holders to be 21 under certain circumstances. If they were really concerned about that, couldn't they have just said that the Ohio CHL was only valid if you were 21+?

I believe the real reason is the election of some very liberal politicians there.

Don't know if it has changed, but a few years ago to get a non-resident license in Minnesota you had to attend an approved class in Minnesota.
According to the Minnesota website, it says you don't have to attend a course in Minnesota, but you do have to submit the application in person, so effectively it's the same problem. I'm not going to Minnesota just to submit an application, and then go home. The guy I'm meeting up there claims I'll be perfectly safe, but I hate depending solely on others for my personal safety, even in a place that's supposedly never had any trouble of that kind before.