SWATTING a car in a parking lot, Brooklyn OH

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

SWATTING a car in a parking lot, Brooklyn OH

Post by Bruenor »

Hope the police can track the phone back to the 911 caller.

http://fox8.com/2017/12/18/i-team-why-p ... ng-center/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BROOKLYN, Ohio - The FOX 8 I TEAM has obtained police body camera video showing why police surrounded a car with guns drawn and put two people in handcuffs at the busy Ridge Park Square Shopping Center in Brooklyn.
It began with a 9-1-1 call. A man said he went through the parking lot, but people in the car said something to him, and then they pointed a gun at him. The caller was not sure, he said, if the gun was real, or a toy.
In the end, police found no gun, and they began to doubt the story of the 9-1-1 caller. Some witnesses then took to social media to question was it necessary for the police show of force?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Re: SWATTING a car in a parking lot, Brooklyn OH

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bruenor wrote:Hope the police can track the phone back to the 911 caller.

http://fox8.com/2017/12/18/i-team-why-p ... ng-center/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With modern SWATTING....nope. Take the SIM card out of any cell phone and it is required to call 911 still, yet the phone becomes totally untraceable besides when it is connected to that 911 call. We can blame the FCC on that one.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

JediSkipdogg wrote:

With modern SWATTING....nope. Take the SIM card out of any cell phone and it is required to call 911 still, yet the phone becomes totally untraceable besides when it is connected to that 911 call. We can blame the FCC on that one.
I was thinking along the lines of prepaid disposable cell phones, I forgot about the required 911 call provision.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Back when we Ohio carry licensees were required to "plain sight" carry in motor vehicles, something like this could have easily played out in the worst possible way.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Brian D. wrote:Back when we Ohio carry licensees were required to "plain sight" carry in motor vehicles, something like this could have easily played out in the worst possible way.
I once got stopped for an inadvertent exposure before I switched completely to IWB and pocket holsters.

One of the cops was extremely arrogant and belligerent. The other at least made an effort to PRETEND to be rational.

While discussing the other's contention that open carry was "inducing panic", I pointed to the Chipotle across the street and said to him, "It's illegal (it was at the time) to carry into a liquor serving establishment. Is it 'inducing panic' if somebody sees me disarm before going in.?"

That left him at a loss for words.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Bruenor wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

I was thinking along the lines of prepaid disposable cell phones, I forgot about the required 911 call provision.
Would they not still have his number he called on ,...unless he spoofed it. :?:
Black Rifles Matter
kentman

Post by kentman »

Only if he called it in from an activated phone. Any cell phone that powers up can call 911, service plan or not.

My 911 Center probably receives 50 or more calls a day from cell phones with no phone # attached to them. We get the gps info at that moment, but once they disconnect that’s it, no finding them again.
ruger

Post by ruger »

A lot of the swatting going on stems from groups of on-line gamers who get ticked off at each other and then “swat” them. We’ve seen incidents in Elyria, Amherst and Lorain in the past several years. The calls come in through the TDD system from a VOIP phone line which was run through a series of annonimizers to prevent tracing of the calls.

Very dangerous game they play when they cause police, swat, EMS and fire to roll with lights and sirens only to find some unsuspecting family or person at the location....