Honolulu police reviewing gun surrender policy

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gfrlaser

Honolulu police reviewing gun surrender policy

Post by gfrlaser »

http://www.guns.com/2017/12/04/honolulu ... ce=twitter

Sounds like someone is peeking at records against HIPPA laws.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
JediSkipdogg

Re: Honolulu police reviewing gun surrender policy

Post by JediSkipdogg »

gfrlaser wrote:http://www.guns.com/2017/12/04/honolulu ... ce=twitter

Sounds like someone is peeking at records against HIPPA laws.
HIPAA is not all what everyone thinks it is. HIPAA reveals a ‘required by law’ exemption to the prohibition against disclosure of protected health information. This then allows whatever state law says is to be released to be released. In Ohio, that's actually a lot if you get your information into a government database (aka Police or EMS run.) So in the case of Hawaii, if they don't have a law in the medical marijuana coding to prohibit access to the information, HIPAA won't protect anyone.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

On 28 November, 2017, the Honolulu Star Advertiser wrote that the Honolulu Police Department had been sending letters to people that were both registered gun owners and registered medical marijuana users. The letters ordered the medical marijuana users to turn in their guns.

SNIP

The use of medical databases to confiscate firearms has been controversial. The Honolulu Police have retracted their confiscation letter in order to study the issue. From civilbeat.org:
The department said that it won’t ask medical marijuana patients to give up their guns while it consults with other government agencies and reviews recent court rulings.

“This is a new area of concern for cities across the country, and we in Honolulu want to develop a policy that’s legally sound and serves our community,” said new Police Chief Susan Ballard in the release. “Formulating the policy will take time, but we want to do it right.”

Carl Bergquist from Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, an organization that advocates for the legalization of marijuana, said Tuesday he wonders why the agency is going to continue denying gun permits to medical cannabis license holders.

“The denial in the first place doesn’t seem to be based on any particular sound policy reasoning,” Bergquist said.
The Honolulu police are currently refusing to grant permits for the possession of guns to those who are medical marijuana users.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

The problem here is not marijuana or HIPPA.

The problem here is gun registration.

When will they ever learn?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I used to be on a firearms forum with one member who lived in Hawaii. The hoops he had to jump through to buy a gun or even ammunition were mind boggling.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

WestonDon wrote:The problem here is not marijuana or HIPPA.

The problem here is gun registration.

When will they ever learn?
^^This
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)