Surveillance video released in Kansas Costco incident

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Surveillance video released in Kansas Costco incident

Post by Bruenor »

Don't recall seeing this story before, Happened around Nov 26th. Gunman was engaged by an armed off duty officer. Doesn't look like the gunman actually fired at anyone, so was this a suicide by cop incident ?

Love this quote from the officer though..
Howell said that he’s always armed.

“You never know what situation you are going to find yourself in whether it is a restaurant or a shopping mall, or just driving down the road,” he said. “I think it would be ludicrous not to be prepared.”
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/cr ... 00173.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lenexa police say Ronald O. Hunt, 58, of Edwardsville, Kan., died after he was shot by an off-duty police officer who confronted Hunt while customers and employees fled to the back of the store.

Police said Hunt was inside the business yelling and threatening customers (with a revolver) when officers were summoned.
Video here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ostco.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.policeone.com/officer-shoot ... co-gunman/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some 911 partial Call transcripts
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/cr ... 85293.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Surveillance video released in Kansas Costco incident

Post by Javelin Man »

If said gunman hadn't fired a shot, how many of us would have taken out the perp? It's a good shot for a police officer or off-duty same, but we'd be looked at under a different microscope.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Javelin Man wrote:If said gunman hadn't fired a shot, how many of us would have taken out the perp? It's a good shot for a police officer or off-duty same, but we'd be looked at under a different microscope.
Without watching the video, I can't say if I would have in this instance or not. But, if a gunman is pointing a gun at someone they present an imminent deadly threat, shots fired or not. He points it at me or my family, I'm going to respond with deadly force, given the opportunity. If he is pointing it at someone else, I'm going to need to know enough about the situation to decide.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Bruenor wrote:Don't recall seeing this story before, Happened around Nov 26th. Gunman was engaged by an armed off duty officer. Doesn't look like the gunman actually fired at anyone, so was this a suicide by cop incident ?
Even if it was, so what? If the defender waits until the bullet comes out of the barrel to start shooting, the defender risks getting hit. In Hollywood tv shows and movies, the bad guys shoot first and miss, and the good guys/gals alway hit, but that's not real life. I haven't seen the video yet, but IMO if the gunman did something where the defender believed the attacker was in the process of pointing a firearm at the defender, it would be reasonable for the defender to start shooting.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:If said gunman hadn't fired a shot, how many of us would have taken out the perp? It's a good shot for a police officer or off-duty same, but we'd be looked at under a different microscope.
Of course we probably would. If I'd have been there IDK if I would've engaged in the situation in the first place, (depends on what was going on at the time, like risk to innocent victims, etc)
I certainly don't have a duty to act like the officer did. If however I was involved in the situation, willingly or not, I would not have waited until he was actually shooting rounds in my direction if I could avoid it. I don't want to go to jail or court but I don't want to go to the hospital or morgue either just to avoid jail or court. I'm speaking in just general terms, not specific to this situation because I haven't seen the video yet.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote:
Without watching the video, I can't say if I would have in this instance or not. But, if a gunman is pointing a gun at someone they present an imminent deadly threat, shots fired or not. He points it at me or my family, I'm going to respond with deadly force, given the opportunity. If he is pointing it at someone else, I'm going to need to know enough about the situation to decide.
Well said. Regarding the bolded, if you just come up on a situation like this without knowing more information, the person holding a gun on someone could be a law abiding carrier defending against a criminal, or an off duty cop holding a gun on a suspect.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Hopefully Costco will be sending letters to the addresses on file for both the estate of the perp and the off-duty officer letting them know that their members enjoy a gun free environment, and since their conduct violated the membership agreement, neither is welcome on the premises any longer.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Right, its not a CHL holders job to protect the sheep. The police will always get a pass in this situation,... a CHL holder maybe not.
Black Rifles Matter