Cops getting gun cameras?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Cops getting gun cameras?

Post by Chuck »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I'm not sure of any departments that allow lasers on guns. But quite a few do allow lights because they are much safer to use mounted to a firearm than a held in a hand.
For real?

Because all the training I have personally taken, or videos I have seen, teach that holding the light in your non-gun hand is safer.
Or is it that cops don't have to worry about pointing their gun at whatever it is they want to see?
I wonder if TDI knows?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Chuck wrote: For real?

Because all the training I have personally taken, or videos I have seen, teach that holding the light in your non-gun hand is safer.
Or is it that cops don't have to worry about pointing their gun at whatever it is they want to see?
I wonder if TDI knows?
TDI doesn't really have an answer. There's pros and cons of weapon mount vs hand held. Weapon mount is easier to shoot (2 hands on the gun), but you had BETTER have night sights. With a separate flashlight, you point flashlight independent of muzzle, but you're limited to shooting one handed. On the plus side, you can hold the light behind the firearm and illuminate the sights.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Bianchi? wrote:

I wonder if TDI knows?
TDI doesn't really have an answer. There's pros and cons of weapon mount vs hand held. Weapon mount is easier to shoot (2 hands on the gun), but you had BETTER have night sights. With a separate flashlight, you point flashlight independent of muzzle, but you're limited to shooting one handed. On the plus side, you can hold the light behind the firearm and illuminate the sights.
I like gun mounted lights esp for in home stuff, just because it is there does not mean it is your only option, but it is always there :-)
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Enterested in those that were in the military how you were taught...how about military police training ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

willbird wrote: I like gun mounted lights esp for in home stuff, just because it is there does not mean it is your only option, but it is always there :-)
I have neither rail lights nor lasers
I used to, but I found the laser to be unreliable and the light went against training for my situation. The only time I would need one would be clearing my own house and that would mean pointing my gun before I knew my target. I don't have qualified immunity and even if I did, I wouldn't want to point at a good guy before I knew what was what.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

willbird wrote:Yup right on the rail, yes tell them they cannot have a light or laser there. Is there some systemic problem with following rules ?? Might just be part of the responsibility included in being able to use the threat of lethal force as a way to coerce people who are not trying to kill you ;-).

Bill
Then you should have one on every gun you carry. Fair is fair.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Bianchi? wrote:

I wonder if TDI knows?
If the flashlight beam is on the target, you'll be able to see the outline of the sights. You need to illuminate the target, not the sights. Accepted flashlight holds are varied, and a shooter should use the one which is most comfortable and natural.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Werz wrote:
willbird wrote:Yup right on the rail, yes tell them they cannot have a light or laser there. Is there some systemic problem with following rules ?? Might just be part of the responsibility included in being able to use the threat of lethal force as a way to coerce people who are not trying to kill you ;-).

Bill
Sorry.....LEO can and do use the threat of lethal force to compel people to follow directions, I cannot do that, so it is not apples to apples, not even close.

Bill
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Werz wrote:Accepted flashlight holds are varied, and a shooter should use the one which is most comfortable and natural.
And that's how my department is. You want rail mounted, we will give you rail mounted lights. You want to use your non-dominant and hold the light then we allow that. Just when it comes to qualification and we do our night shooting exercises, you better be able to pass however you carry. And yes, my department range qualifications are much stricter than state. We had a newbie argue that they passed the state qualification one year but failed the extra department qualification, and we told them they had to do mandatory practice and reshoot in 30 days. They didn't understand how we could do that when they claim they passed the state without issue.

The "most comfortable" is another reason my department allows choice of 9, 40, or 45 and long slide vs standard slide. Whatever you feel most comfortable shooting you get to carry. We shouldn't force the shooter to adopt to the gun but should give them whatever they are best at handling that is available.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

willbird wrote:
Werz wrote:

Bill
Sorry.....LEO can and do use the threat of lethal force to compel people to follow directions, I cannot do that, so it is not apples to apples, not even close.
Oh, I was waiting for that one. How many times have we heard people in this forum say, "Don't get involved in a domestic violence situation! Let the cops handle it!"? You don't arrest people. You pay cops to arrest people, and you expect them to do so when it's appropriate. So, yeah, they use the threat of lethal force to compel compliance, and that's what you pay them to do. So if you expect to hamper their ability to do their job, and expect them to surrender reasonable safety in doing it, while you tote your gun solely for your own protection (and to hell with everyone else), sorry, but I don't buy it.
-- BobK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Werz wrote:Accepted flashlight holds are varied, and a shooter should use the one which is most comfortable and natural.
And that's how my department is. You want rail mounted, we will give you rail mounted lights. You want to use your non-dominant and hold the light then we allow that. Just when it comes to qualification and we do our night shooting exercises, you better be able to pass however you carry. And yes, my department range qualifications are much stricter than state. We had a newbie argue that they passed the state qualification one year but failed the extra department qualification, and we told them they had to do mandatory practice and reshoot in 30 days. They didn't understand how we could do that when they claim they passed the state without issue.

The "most comfortable" is another reason my department allows choice of 9, 40, or 45 and long slide vs standard slide. Whatever you feel most comfortable shooting you get to carry. We shouldn't force the shooter to adopt to the gun but should give them whatever they are best at handling that is available.
<heh> I trained and qualified with a Kimber Ultra. Everybody liked the muzzle flash during low-light training.
-- BobK
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Werz wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

<heh> I trained and qualified with a Kimber Ultra. Everybody liked the muzzle flash during low-light training.
You need to shoot a nice TT-30 with a Tokarev round to really illuminate the area. :shock:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I'm uncaring whether you buy it or not :-). I'm not expecting them to surrender "reasonable safety", I'm just being open minded about them being held accountable legally and civilly when a gun comes out of the holster. Weeding out the Daniel Harless who have not gotten caught yet might be a very good thing for LE in general.

The tech is pretty much "there" for it to be unobtrusive and not an issue as far as that goes...so what is the real issue, having some accountability ?? An institutional inability to follow rules by an institution that enforces the following of rules ??

The technology is pretty much there for an on duty LE to be on camera/audio their whole shift, would that be a BAD thing ??

Bill
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

willbird wrote:The technology is pretty much there for an on duty LE to be on camera/audio their whole shift, would that be a BAD thing ??
Yes, because police like other citizens would like some privacy in their jobs. You can say don't be a police officer then, well, then you start getting a lot of the bad apples that we have now. My department has strong hiring standards and got around 150 to apply for our current test. Surrounding departments to us over the past year have only had around 25 apply. When only 25 apply, your selection is really small and the odds of getting a bad apple are much greater. And with the expense that one invests into hiring a police officer and getting them through training (generally in the area of $25-40k) you just can't throw them out on initial minor mistakes.

Many moons ago I wanted to be a police officer. Now days, no thanks. And it's not all because of the risks of the job. I think being aware of one's surroundings one can eliminate most of those risks. It's because of all the watching and hatred towards law enforcement that has shown up over the recent years. Police officers just can't be trusted to do their jobs. Anyone that asks me if they should go into law enforcement any more I tell them if they enjoy having every move they make heavily scrutinized and being watched 24/7 then sure.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Strong hiring practice does not always make a good officer...I know officers that didn't score high on tests but were later hired on departments that didn't give tests and became good officers over the years..

I think and this is just my opinion....Departments are losing out because there testing is to hard...you don't need to be a college grad to become a cop, you need street smarts and common sense...

They need to take a look at their hiring practices if they want more applicants...there out there.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens