Fix NICs Act..

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Re: Fix NICs Act..

Post by djthomas »

Amendment to add Members of Congress to the definition of "person." Hilarious back and forth ensues over exactly what that means. Have to agree with the Dems on this one, it's a bit superfluous and sends a bad message. This amendment was defeated. Committee stands in recess now.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Thanx dj for the update and clearing the logjam. I thought this was the NICS thread. FYI I called today on the FIX NICS bill. Ooops! While no one :shock: was watching who :twisted: slipped the mag ban onto the table?? THANK GOODNESS :wink: ppl called and offered their opinion , to defeat the whole thingie

Without further topical :roll: distraction, back :P to the definition of what ''is'' , is.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Final update...both concealed carry reciprocity and the NIC bill passed committee and head to the House floor as soon as next week. From what I can tell shenanigan amendments were limited/defeated. Federal judges would have LEOSA like carry powers and law enforcement would be allowed to briefly stop someone believed to be carrying contrary to the reciprocity law.

One amendment I’m not sure about seemed to prohibit someone with two or more DUIs from carrying under the federal law. The site says passed as amended but it shows a recorded vote that would indicate defeat.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

djthomas wrote:High capacity mag ban defeated. Two fewer moms in the audience and those left seem to be playing candy crush on their phones.
I wonder how many of those moms were able to be there thanks to some compensation from the Moms Demand Action organization (which is funded by Bloomberg) ?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

M-Quigley wrote:
djthomas wrote:High capacity mag ban defeated. Two fewer moms in the audience and those left seem to be playing candy crush on their phones.
I wonder how many of those moms were able to be there thanks to some compensation from the Moms Demand Action organization (which is funded by Bloomberg) ?
Not sure but by the time the NIC bill came up - you know, the one to actually keep guns away from people who shouldn’t have them, the poor clerk gal was sitting at the desk with NOBODY behind her.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

WhyNot wrote:
Without further topical :roll: distraction, back :P to the definition of what ''is'' , is.

Moar Jefferson, trusting that I'm addressing the concerns of the inquisitors.
The error seems not sufficiently eradicated, that the operations of the mind, as well as the acts of the body, are subject to the coercion of the laws. But our rulers can have authority over such natural rights only as we have submitted to them. The rights of conscience we never submitted, we could not submit. We are answerable for them to our God. The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others.
Hello Negative Rights.
But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. If it be said, his testimony in a court of justice cannot be relied on, reject it then, and be the stigma on him. Constraint may make him worse by making him a hypocrite, but it will never make him a truer man. It may fix him obstinately in his errors, but will not cure them. Reason and free enquiry are the only effectual agents against error. Give a loose to them, they will support the true religion, by bringing every false one to their tribunal, to the test of their investigation. They are the natural enemies of error, and of error only.
Not speaking highly of those who disagree with his view of the universe, but not criminalizing them, simply marginalizing them as error-prone.
Government is just as infallible too when it fixes systems in physics. Galileo was sent to the inquisition for affirming that the earth was a sphere: the government had declared it to be as flat as a trencher, and Galileo was obliged to abjure his error. This error however at length prevailed, the earth became a globe, and Descartes declared it was whirled round its axis by a vortex. The government in which he lived was wise enough to see that this was no question of civil jurisdiction, or we should all have been involved by authority in vortices. In fact, the vortices have been exploded, and the Newtonian principle of gravitation is now more firmly established, on the basis of reason, than it would be were the government to step in, and to make it an article of necessary faith. Reason and experiment have been indulged, and error has fled before them. It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.
Government cannot overturn reality, the nature of man, or law, by decree, though it may try to coerce testimony favoring its perspective.
It can never be too often repeated, that the time for fixing every essential right on a legal basis is while our rulers are honest, and ourselves united. From the conclusion of this war we shall be going down hill. It will not then be necessary to resort every moment to the people for support. They will be forgotten, therefore, and their rights disregarded. They will forget themselves, but in the sole faculty of making money, and will never think of uniting to effect a due respect for their rights. The shackles, therefore, which shall not be knocked off at the conclusion of this war, will remain on us long, will be made heavier and heavier, till our rights shall revive or expire in a convulsion.
All down hill...prophetic.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

bignflnut wrote:Moar Jefferson, trusting that I'm addressing the concerns of the inquisitors.
Okey dokey, Torquemada.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Werz wrote:
bignflnut wrote:Moar Jefferson, trusting that I'm addressing the concerns of the inquisitors.
Okey dokey, Torquemada.
Upping your ad hominem game? Awesome. The depth and breadth of your refutation is remarkable.

GOA has made a statement regarding HR 4477:
“Finally, Gun Owners of America condemns the committee’s approval of the ‘Traffic Ticket Gun Ban’ (H.R. 4477). This deceptive legislation would add hundreds of thousands of additional names into the NICS system, thus blocking thousands of lawful gun owners from purchasing guns for offenses as slight as unpaid traffic tickets. Not only that, it would lay the groundwork for an anti-gun administration to troll every government health and welfare program for the purpose of imposing gun bans on recipients with PTSD, ADHD, and Alzheimer’s — the latter would jeopardize the inheritance of many valuable gun collections. The Obama administration already tried to do this with Social Security disability. In the future, there may not be a pro-gun Congress to disapprove similar moves or a pro-gun president to sign it.”
Can't seem to find an NRA position on HR 4477....
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798