Used My Firearm Dog Attack

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Used My Firearm Dog Attack

Post by DOA33 »

Used my gun for the first time in defense against a dog. Before going ahead I should say I fired a warning shot and ended the fight. Now, to what happened. I own a Boxer named Bruno, every morning we'll go out for a walk around the farm checking on the cows and for him to use the bathroom. This morning I had left over chicken to give him, we go out and I dumped the food in the yard. While I was doing that our neighbor's dog named Sugar came over. I believe he's a lab very fat. Sugar gobbles the chicken before I could stop him. When I told him to stop and I took a step, he backs away but then tries to go around me before I could turn around to keep a eye on him, Bruno growled and that's all it took. Both started biting and trying to topple each other. I was too slow to move and Sugar lunged at me and got my knee. I knew not to pull but to shove, so I kneed him hard in his open mouth. Didn't break the skin but left two nasty bumps. I grabbed a shovel that was laying there and smacked Sugar, he backed off giving Bruno the upper hand. Had to smack Bruno since he was ripping the skin off of Sugar, that gave Sugar time to get back on top. At this point I reached for my firearm and I didn't want to shot either dog since neither was after me, so I aimed at the back of the farm and fired one round. Bruno backed behind me looking and Sugar ran back to his house. I ended up with a two bumps on the knee and Bruno after cleaning all the blood off just had a small gash above his right eye. I'm debating to go to the neighbor and let them know what happened or let it go since me or my dog has series injuries. I did take pictures.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
deanimator

Re: Used My Firearm Dog Attack

Post by deanimator »

Of course you should say something.

His dog was on YOUR property and BIT you.

He should be grateful you didn't shoot his dog.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Agree with Deanimator. Your neighbor's dog was not properly contained or (obviously) controlled.

And, while I don't mean to be a pessimist, since your neighbor's dog is injured, I'd probably contact law enforcement to generate a report before your neighbor does.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

He’s right, you know.
First to call gets the victim status
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

You are required to report the dog bite.

http://www.odh.ohio.gov/animalbites
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Buckeyedoc wrote:You are required to report the dog bite.

I think he lives in Tennessee.

From [urlhttps://dogbitelaw.com/mixed-dog-bite-statute-states/tennessee-dog-bite-law]Dog Bite Law[/url]
The Dianna Acklen Act of 2007, T.C.A. sec. 44-8-413, provides statutory liability for dog bites under specific circumstances. Subdivision (a) creates a two-part duty: a dog must be under reasonable control and not running at large. The duty is violated when a dog is not under reasonable control even if it is not running at large (for example, a dog running loose on the owner's unfenced front lawn). "A person who breaches that duty is subject to civil liability for any damages suffered by a person who is injured by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in or on the private property of another."
There's more. I didn't see if he is required to notify about the bite, though.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

Mustang380gal wrote:

I think he lives in Tennessee.

From [urlhttps://dogbitelaw.com/mixed-dog-bite-statute-states/tennessee-dog-bite-law]Dog Bite Law[/url]
The Dianna Acklen Act of 2007, T.C.A. sec. 44-8-413, provides statutory liability for dog bites under specific circumstances. Subdivision (a) creates a two-part duty: a dog must be under reasonable control and not running at large. The duty is violated when a dog is not under reasonable control even if it is not running at large (for example, a dog running loose on the owner's unfenced front lawn). "A person who breaches that duty is subject to civil liability for any damages suffered by a person who is injured by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in or on the private property of another."
There's more. I didn't see if he is required to notify about the bite, though.
I had to Google his "location," and it says Frankfort, KY. I would not have thought he lived anywhere other than Ohio had you not said something.
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

For OH, but I moved back to KY in August. I looked up the laws for here and couldn't find anything about a requirement to report. The dog did come back over, I went out with my dog. Both stared and the back hair stood straight up. In my deepest voice I could manage told them to sit. Both sat and looked at me wagging tails. I looked him over and didn't see anything that would indicate him being in a fight. I'm letting it go no real harm to either of us and we live out in the country with no kids around.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Sounds like you have it under control to me
Nicely done,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Chuck wrote: Nicely done,
I agree..
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

It happened again this past Monday. We go out and I throw out some left over biscuits into the yard. I checked to make sure the other dog wasn’t around before tossing the food. No sooner did I throw it the other dog comes around the side of the house. He was down in the yard while my dog was upstairs on the porch eating. I thought I’ll get my dog inside before the other knows we are out here. I turn and started to walk towards the door and call my dog in, when I hear the other dog running up the stairs. As soon as he cleared the stairs my dog starting growling and lunched into the other dog. Thankfully I was a good 10 feet away so I was in no danger of getting hurt. I yelled out sit, thinking if I give them a command it would stop. I was wrong. They headed towards the front of the house; I had nothing but my gun on me. Once again I pulled it out and shot once into the ground next to me. The whole time I was still yelling sit. The shot didn’t exactly work like last time, the other dog broke off but my dog gave chase. My dog chased him to the first fence that leads into our side field then into the neighbor's yard. I got him to stop and come back.
I got him inside and checked him over. He had a bloody paw and a gash on his nose.

This time I did go to the neighbor, an older woman answered. I introduced myself and explained what happened, but I did leave out the gun part, didn’t want to scare her. She was sorry, said she had a stroke last year and can’t keep a eye on him. She would let the husband know and try to keep their dog on their side. As I was leaving the husband came home, so I talked to him. He was the same way as the wife. I thought this was the end of it till today.

The husband came over with a towel and a note. I answered and he asked if this was ours, I said yes. He gave the note to me which had their phone numbers. He asked for mine, I gave it. Then he started on me that this was my fault, that I shouldn’t been giving toys to his dog and he didn’t believe that his dog bit me, it didn't happened. That took me back, first your dog grabs anything that will fit into his mouth and leave. This has been a game to him before I came along, and why are you waiting a week after our conversation to do this? I asked him was you there and saw what took place? Of course he said no but that was not his dog that bit me. I told him I have pics and would he kindly leave my land if you’re going to act this way. That sent him off saying this ain’t your land, you rent here, I don’t want a war between us. I repeated myself. He was really getting mad. He stated I couldn’t make him leave and his dog did nothing wrong. Again I repeated myself. He finally gave up and said just don’t hurt my dog and if he does come over till him to leave. I said that’s fine and have a good day. I'm at a lost on what to do now. I was hoping we could be friendly and put this behind us. I have a feeling this ain't the last of this.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Not your responsibility to keep his dog from coming on to your property. Report all incidents so far to the local authorities; LEO and animal control. If his dog comes over again and is aggressive towards people or livestock, end it. If it is friendly, catch it, take it to the local pound, and drop it off. If he (owner) comes over again tell him to leave once then start dialing. He's already proven that he is irrational where his dog is concerned; no sense wasting time trying to discuss or debate the matter with him.

People can scream "internet tough guy" all they want. Don't care. I have three kids and grew up raising cattle. I have zero tolerance for stray or aggressive dogs. We've had to deal with feral dogs on our family farm. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Cygnus

Post by Cygnus »

I'm the biggest dog lover on the planet. It's a shame people don't care about controlling their dogs. I walk my dogs every day. I have a gorgeous, and very large park across the street from my house. I've had numerous run-ins with people walking their dogs unleashed. They are usually the type that is dressed from head to toe in Under Armour gear, and drive a used mid nineties beat up Porsche, and think they are the mack. As soon as I see their dog is unleashed, I let them know that if their dog even growls at one of my pets, it's going to end very bad. They always get bent out of shape, so I remind them that there is a leash law in Ohio. They don;t care. They think it's their world, and everyone else just lives in it. Your neighbor's dog is just doing what dogs do. Your neighbor is an idiot.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Cygnus wrote: so I remind them that there is a leash law in Ohio
That's not accurate. The dog must be under control, except in the case of a female dog in heat which must be on leash.

From ORC 955.22:
(C) Except when a dog is lawfully engaged in hunting and accompanied by the owner, keeper, harborer, or handler of the dog, no owner, keeper, or harborer of any dog shall fail at any time to do either of the following:

(1) Keep the dog physically confined or restrained upon the premises of the owner, keeper, or harborer by a leash, tether, adequate fence, supervision, or secure enclosure to prevent escape;

(2) Keep the dog under the reasonable control of some person.
Reasonable control includes a leash but is not limited to it.

Obviously localities often have their own specific leash laws, but they are not state of Ohio laws.
Cygnus

Post by Cygnus »

I stand corrected, although there are signs in the park every thirty yards that state all dogs must be on a leash.