FBI going door to door searching houses for killer

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

FBI going door to door searching houses for killer

Post by M-Quigley »

The Subject line limits the characters, it should have said. "FBI going door to door searching houses for killer they haven't identified yet"

On the CBS evening news tonight, it showed an FBI SWAT team on someones porch, with a rifle, and saying, "FBI" and the narrator says "swat teams did a door to door search of more than 100 homes here."

I guess it's a good thing I don't live in that neighborhood. I understand they are searching, but for them to search my house without a warrant? Didn't we used to have a bill of rights or something? :roll:

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/UPDATE ... 63663.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: FBI going door to door searching houses for killer

Post by scottb »

This occurred in Boston after the marathon bombing as well. What is their recourse if you deny entry? I have no doubt they’d kick the door down and arrest you for obstruction. Then you’d have a fight on your hands in a civil matter for some kind of compensation.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I read it to mean they were searching the neighborhood, not individual houses
Knocking on doors and asking questions, yes, but not searching houses

Of course, I have often been wrong
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Chuck wrote:I read it to mean they were searching the neighborhood, not individual houses

Of course, I have often been wrong

No, you're probably right. The link I found isn't a very good one, and the CBS evening news (which is where I first saw the story) gave the impression that they were searching the houses. The narrator part in quotes about searching houses is an exact quote, as I have it recorded. The video however, only showed a few seconds of an FBI swat member on a porch yelling FBI. It didn't show what happened next. That video is online, but my computer won't play flash videos. If that is all it is, just asking people questions, without demanding to go inside, then no problem.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I couldn't find a viewable video of the FBI SWAT team, but I found video for the Tampa police going door to door, not searching the houses, but questioning people, like who lives in the house, their date of births, what vehicles they had, what the license tags are, etc. It's a 2:15 minute news video, and the questions asked are at 0:52. At 1:30 some guy explains why he's giving the cops the info, when he might not normally do that. At 2:00 the reporter says if you have a security camera at your house, you need to register it with the police :?: and turn over any video that you may have. (not turn over any video of the shooter, just turn over all your video :roll: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR08zREg4No" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Chuck wrote:I read it to mean they were searching the neighborhood, not individual houses
First video on this story (http://wfla.com/2017/11/14/watch-fbi-sw ... nd-killer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) shows them going to the door in a peaceable fashion (fully armed but weapons aren't out) asking some questions then asking permission to enter the home.

This is very different from the warrantless searches Boston police performed after forcibly removing people from their homes.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
First video on this story (http://wfla.com/2017/11/14/watch-fbi-sw ... nd-killer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) shows them going to the door in a peaceable fashion (fully armed but weapons aren't out) asking some questions then asking permission to enter the home.

This is very different from the warrantless searches Boston police performed after forcibly removing people from their homes.
That's the video that I couldn't view because I supposedly don't have flash macromedia or something. :roll:

I wonder how many said no to the bolded, or what the police would've done or said if they were told no. A lot of people are intimidated by police showing up at their door. Did the people in the video allow the police in?
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

M-Quigley wrote:That's the video that I couldn't view because I supposedly don't have flash macromedia or something. :roll:
I think this is the same video from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEujDiAZ8bc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-Quigley wrote:I wonder how many said no to the bolded, or what the police would've done or said if they were told no. A lot of people are intimidated by police showing up at their door. Did the people in the video allow the police in?
Yes they did, in fact she volunteered that before he asked. From the other video one reporter specifically asked the on-scene correspondent about that. Sounds like residents were happy to let them do a quick look through. Remember these people are facing a serial killer specifically targeting their neighborhood. Also even the kitted up police are being low key and friendly.
Thug Hunter

Post by Thug Hunter »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

I have never seen a report from a reputable source that police in Boston forced people from their homes, or entered homes without permission during the search for the bombers. In fact, earlier this year I was deployed with the commander of a regional SWAT team (not Boston PD) in that area. He personally took part in the search. He told me that they only entered houses where they got permission. Many people offered to let the police search. Some even raised their hands and exited without being told to. Some, who were not home at the time, gave their house key to the cops and asked the cops to search their homes to ensure the bombers weren't in it before they returned home. If there was no answer at the door, they did not enter the home. If consent was not granted, they did not enter the home.

Yes, they were warrantless searches, however, a warrant is not needed if there is consent, which they had.

Please post a link to a report from a reputable source that states police in Boston performed warrantless searches "after forcibly removing people from their homes."
If you can't back up that statement, will you retract it?
"Luckily, I keep my feathers numbered, for just such an emergency."- Foghorn Leghorn

"You can't arrest somebody for that. The most you can do is mace him and let him get away."- Thug Hunter
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Thug Hunter wrote:He told me that they only entered houses where they got permission.
He lied to you or was misinformed. Or maybe his team only did that. Other teams didn't behave that way.
Thug Hunter wrote:Please post a link to a report from a reputable source that states police in Boston performed warrantless searches "after forcibly removing people from their homes."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Gb6i5 ... tu.be&t=89" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He banged on the door and I looked up I was shocked and there was a gun or two guns or whatever pointing down at me and the guys they said 'get out get out' 'okay' and I wanted to know you know do I get my shoes on he just 'get out get out'."
(transcript mine)

Permission granted at the point of a gun isn't consent to search. It's an illegal, forcible search and there were many. Browse the youtube videos with an open mind and you'll see that. That one took me only a couple minutes to find.