SB 219: Prohibit accelerating semi-automatic firearm's rof

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

SB 219: Prohibit accelerating semi-automatic firearm's rof

Post by rickt »

I suppose this bill was inevitable. Normally anti-gun bills have no traction in the Republican dominated General Assembly. Will that continue?
S. B. No. 219 - Senator Thomas.
Cosponsors: Senators Schiavoni, Sykes, Yuko, Brown, Tavares.
To amend sections 2923.13 and 2923.14 and to enact section 2923.133 of the Revised Code to prohibit certain conduct regarding trigger cranks, bump-fire devices, and other items that accelerate a semi-automatic firearm's rate of fire but do not convert it into an automatic firearm.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 132-SB-219
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: SB 219: Prohibit accelerating semi-automatic firearm's

Post by Javelin Man »

I would demand that any item to be banned would have to be EXACTLY named and described. No ambiguous or "other items" in the language.

Then we can discuss its demise as a bill.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Javelin Man wrote:I would demand that any item to be banned would have to be EXACTLY named and described. No ambiguous or "other items" in the language.

Soon they will want your finger removed if you pull the trigger to fast. :roll:
Black Rifles Matter
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Javelin Man wrote:I would demand that any item to be banned would have to be EXACTLY named and described. No ambiguous or "other items" in the language.

Agreed. That oughta keep 'em busy for a while. They might even have to think about what they are doing.

Trouble is on the face this sounds perfectly reasonable to the uninformed. Even some gun owners who don't get into the weeds about guns and gun laws.

There will be a lot of..."I believe in the second amendment but"...in the conversations about this bill.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Here's the relevant section:
Sec. 2923.133. (A) On and after the date that is one
hundred eighty days after the effective date of this section, no
person shall import, manufacture, sell, transfer, or possess a
trigger crank, a bump-fire device, or any part, combination of
parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is
designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic
firearm but not convert the semi-automatic firearm
into an automatic firearm.
(B) This section does not apply with respect to the
importation for, manufacture for, sale to, transfer to, or
possession of any item specified in division (A) of this section
by or under authority of the United States or any department or
agency of the United States or by this state, any other state,
or a department, agency, or political subdivision of this state
or any other state.
(C) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is
guilty of "illegal rate-of-fire acceleration conduct," a felony
of the fourth degree.

Firstly, notice they exempt the government (so they can keep the ones you turn in)
Second, They are creating a whole new piece of law that doesn't exist currently, ORC 2923.133
Thirdly, notice the term "any part, combination of
parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is
designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire"
That could be anything from elevated sights to a pistol grip to a barrel shroud
Make no doubt about it, they want the entire AR platform banned in the end
And fourthly: the mere possession of this piece of plastic will become a felony.

Rest assured, OFCC will be tracking this bill and will let you know if and when any action is needed
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

steves 50de wrote:

Jerry Miculek"s finger would be banned from coming into Ohio since his trigger finger is the fastest in the world.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

As one of my favorite radio personalities used to say... "Everything before but is BS."
WestonDon wrote:

Agreed. That oughta keep 'em busy for a while. They might even have to think about what they are doing.

Trouble is on the face this sounds perfectly reasonable to the uninformed. Even some gun owners who don't get into the weeds about guns and gun laws.

There will be a lot of..."I believe in the second amendment but"...in the conversations about this bill.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

qmti wrote:
steves 50de wrote:

Jerry Miculek"s finger would be banned from coming into Ohio since his trigger finger is the fastest in the world.
It wouldn't be far fetched, considering the language in the bill.
C) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is
guilty of "illegal rate-of-fire acceleration conduct," a felony
of the fourth degree.
and what is the definition of conduct in an electronic dictionary?

Conduct: the manner in which a person behaves, especially on a particular occasion or in a particular context.

Inanimate objects by themselves are not capable of conduct, are they?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Our latest email before it's sent.
Fellow pro-gun Ohioans,

The anti-gun forces are trying exactly what we warned you they would do. Senate Bill 219 has been introduced to the Ohio Senate to ban any device that can "accelerate rate of fire" like the much-maligned bump-stocks. Obviously, OFCC stands firmly against this:

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 132-SB-219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OFCC is fighting back. See this 2-part video where one of our distinguished members, Mike Newbern, debates a gun control advocate in a special aired by Spectrum Cable this past Sunday:
http://spectrumlocalnews.com/section/in ... gun-debate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://spectrumlocalnews.com/section/in ... ump-stocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't forget about the November 4 & 5 class by accomplished author Andrew Branca. Tell your friends, especially those involved in legal practice as they can get Continuing Legal Education units for attending. These classes are being co-hosted by Munitions Law Group, OFCC, and The American Legion Department of Ohio:

http://tinyurl.com/kyp4u4b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you think that we should be continuing the fight against these reactionary pieces of anti-gun legislation please help OFCC by donating to the cause here:

https://ohioccw.org/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you aren't yet an OFCC member please join here:
https://ohioccw.org/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sincerely,

Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Well since none of the stocks, cranks nor anything else are capable of increasing the rate of fire above one round per trigger press, this bill really should not ban anything. :D

JLE
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

''I would demand that ...''

The bill's author be given kite and ample string for same, and pointed towards the closest park or open field.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The email has hit the Ammoland website

Also, Mike's socks were rockin in that video.
You could see the nosepicking anti pop a fuse in his brain when Mike made the 1st Amendment-Youtube-TV function point (which the anti never refuted or even addressed).
Well played.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:That could be anything from elevated sights to a pistol grip to a barrel shroud
A barrel shroud?

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

One of the WLW am 700 news broadcasts reported about the proposed legislation and Kasich's support of it. At the very end there was one sentence that said the Buckeye firearms association and Ohioans for concealed carry oppose it. because "it would reduce gun rights." No other reason given, nothing about how the wording of the legislation could be misused or anything. :roll:
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Kasich has become the new Bob Taft IMHO.
Caveat emptor; be wary of who he actively courts & supports in the Guber race. Most all need photo ops, and there's the party rub shoulders thingie, but there will be a favorite 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good