FOP does NOT oppose SHARE Act

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

FOP does NOT oppose SHARE Act

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

From Politico:
"With respect to the silencer provision, we have taken a position that we do not object to that provision," said Pasco. "The reasoning is because silencers are not — and have not been in the recent past — a law enforcement problem."

Pasco said his organization has pushed for language allowing silencers to be traceable, which has been added to the bill.
That's a powerful quote to help passage. TBH I'm surprised the FOP came out with this statement.
Tru-Heathen

Re: FOP does NOT oppose SHARE Act

Post by Tru-Heathen »

If I recall correctly, the TLDR portion of the bill regarding suppressors would treat them the same as any firearm via Form 4473.

How does one render them traceable and not also add firearms to the "registry" ?

Beware Greeks (or police unions) bearing gifts.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Tru-Heathen:

Doing a 4473 for a suppressor wouldn't bother me much. The ATF already know that I own a gun (or two), and a serialized suppressor doesn't tell them too much more.

Now, when they demand micro-stamping the projectiles to tell them what suppressor was used.... :( .

Guess the point here is that when given a chance to restrict LAC's to protect Criminals, our congresscritters will nearly always go for the restrictions. Plays better in Pravda. :mrgreen:

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I've no problem with a Form 4473; filled one out recently as a matter of fact. And if that is the means for the suppressor to be "traceable" then my concerns are unwarranted.

But let's say I'm still suspicious. :| And still do not trust LEO unions spokes-droids. They (the unions) have stood with the gun grabbers all too often. I would hate to think that we gain suppressor removal from the NFA,only to find ourselves holding the dirty end of the stick.

Guess I'd better try to find the text of the amended bill. BTDT, not my first goat roping.

I know I too am likely on any list of firearms owners because of purchases, online ammo buys,and/or credit card history. Doesn't bother me (too) much.I sleep well at night.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

I need to read the bill .
Want to see if self-constructed cans are treated like self constructed firearms.
Be waiting for this to pass so I can try the $5.99 Fram Can.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Well, we might not get to see this pass.
Don't know if they are stalling or the rino's had no intention of passing it to begin with.
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/no-plan ... dVg2sZrzIW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JimE wrote:Well, we might not get to see this pass.
Don't know if they are stalling or the rino's had no intention of passing it to begin with.
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/no-plan ... dVg2sZrzIW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think they were looking for a convenient excuse. The concealed carry reciprocity is shelved also, and even gun expert Hillary isn't saying that would've caused more deaths in Vegas.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

I predict that a move to ban bump-fire stocks will succeed. Although I oppose further gun regulations, I must admit that I think bump-fire stocks are stupid novelties not meant for serious shooters, and I would not shoot with someone who used one, legal or not.

Firearms suppressors make perfect sense and actively protect hearing. They are beneficial. If Democrats have enough public influence to pass a bump-fire stock bill, then Republicans need to demand an amendment deregulating suppressors. If the gun control crowd wants to "have a conversation," there's a conversation and a rational comparison.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Werz wrote:I predict that a move to ban bump-fire stocks will succeed. Although I oppose further gun regulations, I must admit that I think bump-fire stocks are stupid novelties not meant for serious shooters, and I would not shoot with someone who used one, legal or not.

Firearms suppressors make perfect sense and actively protect hearing. They are beneficial. If Democrats have enough public influence to pass a bump-fire stock bill, then Republicans need to demand an amendment deregulating suppressors. If the gun control crowd wants to "have a conversation," there's a conversation and a rational comparison.
Although I agree with you, the usual stuff I've heard from the gun control crowd in the past is mostly emotion based, and anything but rational. Their definition of "having a conversation" is you shut up, listen to them, and don't respond with any facts, because facts mean nothing to them. :( All they know about suppressors they've learned from Hollywood. :roll:
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Werz wrote:I predict that a move to ban bump-fire stocks will succeed. Although I oppose further gun regulations, I must admit that I think bump-fire stocks are stupid novelties not meant for serious shooters, and I would not shoot with someone who used one, legal or not.

I watched the SEAL TEAM TV show last night. They were on a mission going room to room with suppressors (Hollywood silencers) making little noise. This is where the general public and the anti-gun people get their information on how quiet and deadly the suppressors are. No reality here. If they showed the actual sound it wouldn't be Hollywood TV.