Juvenile Record Sealed and Expunged After Denial

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

btom109

Juvenile Record Sealed and Expunged After Denial

Post by btom109 »

Hi everyone
I found out that my juvenile record was not sealed after my CHL was denied. The time to appeal has passed but I just received the letter from my juvenile court saying my case was sealed and expunged.
What do I do with this information? Can I fax it into the sheriffs department with a letter explaining I was unaware the case was not sealed but now it is expunged?
Thanks in advance.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Juvenile Record Sealed and Expunged After Denial

Post by JustaShooter »

As I understand it, since you did not appeal and lose, you do not have to wait a year before re-applying. So, fill out new application (don't forget to fill in the date of the original application where it asks for dates of previous applications), and re-apply - yes, it requires another application fee, picture, etc. And when you have your appointment at the sheriff's office, bring the paperwork showing your record was sealed / expunged.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
btom109

Post by btom109 »

So I talked to the sheriffs department and I was told even with the paperwork showing the case was sealed and expunged, that the background check has to come back clean without the case on it. Is this correct?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'd not heard that before, and would not have thought that was the case. Unfortunately, some sheriff's offices apply their own opinion as much as they apply the law. You could check with a neighboring county and see if they are more accommodating. Or you can wait - problem is, I don't know how long it might take, and I'm not sure how you can tell if it is processed fully.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
btom109

Post by btom109 »

Just to give an update, I had to call and fax a copy of the expungement papers to the ohio BC I. They were very helpful and at the end of the conversation I was told that the record was clear. So I proceeded to reapply and now in an waiting to hear back.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

That's great! Thanks for the update, be sure to tell us when you get your license!
NRA Life Member

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Yes please let us know!
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <