Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby gregoire » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Stopped by my local Delaware, OH Wal-Mart today and saw a sign that said they would not accept a CCL in lieu of filling out the 4473 to purchase a firearm. This is the first time I've ever seen this, anyone else notice this anywhere?
gregoire
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:33 am
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby djmac1964 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:16 pm

It never replaced the 4473, only the NICS check. Even though they can accept it in place of the NICS check, you still have to fill out the 4473 to buy from a dealer. And then, nothing says they have to accept it in place of the NICS check. When the law changed, it simply said that they could accept it. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few places that still call in the background check.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO


Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
User avatar
djmac1964
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Brook Park OH

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby gregoire » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm probably wrong regarding the exact wording of the sign, and I'm sure you're correct about everything else. I'd just never seen that before. ...And, my CHL is too old for this type of situation so I've never exactly paid close enough attention to how it would work. Thanks!
gregoire
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:33 am
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby pleasantguywhopacks » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 am

It's a choice on the part of the FFL to accept the CHL as a NICS but not the actual 4473. I bought a stripped lower at Rural King and they still said it was corp policy to do the background. They did however use the computer to allow me to fill the 4473 which I thought was awesome.

On a side note, they had to walk me out with a stripped lower...think about that for a sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
User avatar
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 16746
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Whitehouse, OH

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby Brian D. » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 am

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:It's a choice on the part of the FFL to accept the CHL as a NICS but not the actual 4473. I bought a stripped lower at Rural King and they still said it was corp policy to do the background. They did however use the computer to allow me to fill the 4473 which I thought was awesome.

On a side note, they had to walk me out with a stripped lower...think about that for a sec.


Yeah, never mind the handgun(s) you carried in there to begin with, got to march you directly to the parking lot with that dangerous...metal stick...you just bought. I get a (pathetic) laugh out of WalMart when buying ammo, if they don't have a cash drawer set up for the register in sporting goods. Clerk is supposed to carry the ammo up front for the customer. One day it was a woman who uses those arm-attached braces in order to, you know, walk. I told her the only way she was going to hold my purchase was if I threw her over my shoulder and carried her to the front of the store. She let me carry the ammo myself.

After ringing up I went to the store manager and suggested he follow corporate rules a little less stringently in the future, sheesh!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14643
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby Face » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 am

Probably had to purchase ammo at WM 5-6 times (not much available locally .. duh) and never had to do the perp walk.

Did have to at Rural King with a firearm - and do not take a CHL either.

I know some of the local gun stores do and Cabellas does
Woodbury, Vance does not.



Brian D. wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:It's a choice on the part of the FFL to accept the CHL as a NICS but not the actual 4473. I bought a stripped lower at Rural King and they still said it was corp policy to do the background. They did however use the computer to allow me to fill the 4473 which I thought was awesome.

On a side note, they had to walk me out with a stripped lower...think about that for a sec.


Yeah, never mind the handgun(s) you carried in there to begin with, got to march you directly to the parking lot with that dangerous...metal stick...you just bought. I get a (pathetic) laugh out of WalMart when buying ammo, if they don't have a cash drawer set up for the register in sporting goods. Clerk is supposed to carry the ammo up front for the customer. One day it was a woman who uses those arm-attached braces in order to, you know, walk. I told her the only way she was going to hold my purchase was if I threw her over my shoulder and carried her to the front of the store. She let me carry the ammo myself.

After ringing up I went to the store manager and suggested he follow corporate rules a little less stringently in the future, sheesh!
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Face
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby djthomas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:36 am

Brian D. wrote:After ringing up I went to the store manager and suggested he follow corporate rules a little less stringently in the future, sheesh!

Given all the clerks I have dealt with in countless mega corp stores over the years buying all manner of items I really can't blame them. Taking judgment and discretion away from folks who are more or less minimum wage transient workers* has become necessary.

A store can lose its license for selling alcohol to someone under 21. For a while you'd see things like "We card everyone under 30." What happens you card a younger looking 38 year old? He gets angry because your policy says he shouldn't be carded. What happens when you try to fire a clerk who sells to an older looking 20 year old? He says "Dude looked 30 to me..." Now stores adopt a card everyone policy. If the clerk doesn't card the person they can be disciplined. If the customer complains the clerk and store can say we're not picking on you because we card everybody.

* I don't mean to imply that every store worker is such a person. There are exceptions of course but mega store clerks are underpaid and turnover is often high. Managing that kind of risk at the corporate level requires consistent policies and procedures. Store managers are only slightly better paid per hour and undoubtedly way overworked. They just want to get through their day with the least amount of hassle, so falling back on a rigid corporate policy is the easy way.
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5811
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby willbird » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:04 am

It might be prudent on their part to not accept CHL in lieu of NICS until every valid license is good to go on issue date. IMHO. Gun stores that do way more 4473/NICS might be better equipped to deal with the issue date issue.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 11312
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 am
Location: Exit 13 on the ohio Turnpike :-)

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby Brian D. » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:24 pm

@djthomas: My gripe in the Wal Mart that day was because this older woman with mobility issues was expected (by her company's policy) to carry my intended purchase, about 30 lbs. of ammo, from the back of the store all the way up front. She had been paged to sporting goods from a few departments away to begin with, because she knew where the ammo cabinet keys were kept. I get up front and the store manager is young and robust by comparison. Felt a need to shame him a bit, I guess.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14643
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby djthomas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Maybe she was looking to file a multi-million dollar ADA/EEOC lawsuit and you totally ruined her opportunity. Way to go dude. :P
Never ask if you can carry at a non-posted place, but always ask why you cannot at one that is!
Just because they offer call ahead seating doesn't mean you call ahead for carry permission.
User avatar
djthomas
 
Posts: 5811
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Medina County

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby JustaShooter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:58 pm

willbird wrote:It might be prudent on their part to not accept CHL in lieu of NICS until every valid license is good to go on issue date. IMHO. Gun stores that do way more 4473/NICS might be better equipped to deal with the issue date issue.


Perhaps even more importantly, they may wish to wait until there is a way to verify that the CHL is still valid and hasn't been suspended. As I understand it, the county sends a letter informing you it is suspended asking you to surrender it, I don't think they are actually seized.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4475
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby JimE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:14 pm

gregoire wrote:Stopped by my local Delaware, OH Wal-Mart today and saw a sign that said they would not accept a CCL in lieu of filling out the 4473 to purchase a firearm. This is the first time I've ever seen this, anyone else notice this anywhere?


There are a number of customers who believe a CHL means they do not have to fill out a 4473.
Once educated,( politely) there is no problem...at least with us.
I can only guess at what has happened to have a store put up a sign like that.

As far a walking a "firearm" to the cashier,( a stripped lower is considered a firearm by the Fed's) we and other stores do that .
It is just part of the process to make sure all the i's are dotted.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Ashland,OH

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby Cosmos » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 am

I asked an assistant manager at Rural King about the need for them to walk all firearms outside of the store. They replied it was to avoid customers walking away from the counter and admiring their purchase inside the store. I agree coming up on someone holding a pistol could create more than a few issues.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
User avatar
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:27 am
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby WhyNot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:09 am

I suspect that there will be a greater chance of using a CHL vs. phoning in to NICS, once all us older licensees are renewed. At least at that point there will be less confusion, this CHL is ok, this older one is not etc. Can be a bit tasking for a lowly store clerk especially some I've ran into.
Acquisitions thus far:

Slingshot
Butter knife
sharpened pencil
Newspaper roll
water balloon (diversionary)

Yeah, I'm that good
WhyNot
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 am
Location: NW Ohio

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Postby screwman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:35 am

Yeah, I've got till January of 20, then I'll be good. Missed it by 2 months.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Oak Harbor

Next

Return to Ohio Concealed Carry Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests