Metal Plate Sources?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Metal Plate Sources?

Post by deanimator »

Given that optical breadboards are pretty steep in price, and not readily available in this area, I'm exploring the possibility of making my own macro mounting plate.

Does anyone know a reasonable source in NE Ohio for scrap aluminum or steel plates in the vicinity of 1' x 3' x 1/4-1/2"?

I'm going to have to drill and tap my own 1/4"-20 accessory mounting holes on somebody else's drillpress, but it's still cheaper than a legit breadboard. They run upwards of $300 on the low side.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Metal Plate Sources?

Post by gilly32 »

PM sent.
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

gilly32 wrote:PM sent.
Here's a drawing. In truth, I don't need that many drilled and tapped holes, probably just three lines of them along the long axis.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I need to find a source of steel plating also. I'd like to make some reactive targets.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Out of curiosity I looked at several local metal distributors charging $60-$80 for a 0.25" x 12" x 24" aluminum plate.
You can get pretty much the same aluminum plate new on ebay for around $35.00 + s&h

I always wonder how some stuff on ebay is so comparatively inexpensive.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bruenor wrote:Out of curiosity I looked at several local metal distributors charging $60-$80 for a 0.25" x 12" x 24" aluminum plate.
You can get pretty much the same aluminum plate new on ebay for around $35.00 + s&h

I always wonder how some stuff on ebay is so comparatively inexpensive.
Volume. Of course you get killed on shipping.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Check local metal fabrication/welding shops. They usually have bits and pieces of material laying around in case they find a need for it. You will likely get it at a very reasonable price.

Another option (for aluminum) is Thyssenkrupp Materials. I buy (for my work) from them on occasion. They are in the Cleveland area.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Questions:
How accurately do the threaded holes be located?
Does the surface have to be perfectly flat?

If the answers are "not very" and "no" you might want to save yourself A LOT of time by NOT tapping the holes.

Surebonder 8510 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, 10-32, 1/4-20 Threaded Insert Tool

uxcell 100 Pcs Zinc Plated Carbon Steel Rivet Nut Flat Head Insert Nutsert 1/4-20UNC
Threaded holes: less than $9 per 100. (Why did I just flash back to the movie "ET" and the "portable hole" reference?

This gives you steel threads instead of aluminium threads which I consider an advantage.
Personally, I would try a backing block with a half inch hole in it and a large leather mallet before buying the insert tool.

Also if you need to mount something that has multiple mounting holes, using cone point set screws in the mounting holes would make marking the plate for drilling a breeze.

http://catalog.westernstateshardware.co ... se-1-4--20
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

AlanM wrote:Questions:
How accurately do the threaded holes be located?
Does the surface have to be perfectly flat?

If the answers are "not very" and "no" you might want to save yourself A LOT of time by NOT tapping the holes.

Surebonder 8510 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, 10-32, 1/4-20 Threaded Insert Tool

uxcell 100 Pcs Zinc Plated Carbon Steel Rivet Nut Flat Head Insert Nutsert 1/4-20UNC
Threaded holes: less than $9 per 100. (Why did I just flash back to the movie "ET" and the "portable hole" reference?

This gives you steel threads instead of aluminium threads which I consider an advantage.
Personally, I would try a backing block with a half inch hole in it and a large leather mallet before buying the insert tool.

Also if you need to mount something that has multiple mounting holes, using cone point set screws in the mounting holes would make marking the plate for drilling a breeze.

http://catalog.westernstateshardware.co ... se-1-4--20
The purpose of the plate is to mount:
  1. a ballhead onto which an automated macro focusing rail and camera will be mounted
  2. two or more magic arms onto which lights will be mounted
  3. an adjustable subject stage
It probably doesn't require optical breadboard levels of precision.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

deanimator wrote:
gilly32 wrote:PM sent.
Here's a drawing. In truth, I don't need that many drilled and tapped holes, probably just three lines of them along the long axis.

Would 16 gauge be suitable, I can get you that no problem. :?:
Black Rifles Matter
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Ummm, other than using the threaded rivnuts I suggested, how would you put 1/4-20 threads in 16 gauge sheet metal?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:Would 16 gauge be suitable, I can get you that no problem. :?:
As pointed out by somebody else, that wouldn't work, for a variety of reasons. This is to mount a camera, automated focus rail, lights and subject stage. Sheet metal would be neither thick enough to allow 1/4"-20 threads to engage, nor be heavy enough to be stable without flexing and vibration.

It really does need to be plate, either aluminum or steel, and a minimum of 1/4" thick.

Thanks for the suggestion.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

deanimator wrote:It really does need to be plate, either aluminum or steel, and a minimum of 1/4" thick.
McMaster Carr wants $73 for a 3' x 1' x 1/4" plate.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Check with Marsam Metalfab in Twinsburg. Contact Jim Bayus, tell him Jeff Asbury sent you.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

pirateguy191 wrote:Check with Marsam Metalfab in Twinsburg. Contact Jim Bayus, tell him Jeff Asbury sent you.
Thanks.