HB 142 Proponent Testimony 5-16-2017

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Re: HB 142 Proponent Testimony 5-16-2017

Post by djthomas »

I wish my dad hadn't retired (well no, not really), but he had access to a Gongwer News Service subscription that gave him literally hourly updates on what was happening in the statehouse, down to the committee level. By the next morning he'd have a multiple paragraph summary of the happenings in each and every committee. Plus they cover all sorts of key court cases as they wind through the process. On their site today is an article entitled "House Committee Continues Focus On Gun Bills" that I would love to read. They hide the subscription cost now but as I recall for a private subscription it was close to a grand with no reproduction rights.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

It's shockingly expensive
I checked into it once
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

rickt wrote:

BFA statement to the committee:
Buckeye Firearms Association is happy to support Sub H.B. 142. We thank you for your work to address the issues of law enforcement as well as Concealed Handgun License holders.

Sub H.B. 142 is good legislation which solves problems which have existed since the first days of concealed carry in Ohio. It is good public policy which eliminates vagueness and protects both license holders and law enforcement.

Buckeye Firearms Association supports Sub H.B. 142 and will work to see it enacted into law.
NavyChief wanders off to a corner of the room muttering to himself...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Here's the problem with reducing it to an MM with $25 fine - we will NEVER be rid of it*, and it will become a cash cow for departments/municipalities, since there's next to no additional paperwork involved for the LEO. YMMV

(The views expressed are those of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and/or opinions of the staff or management of OFCC.)

(* Oh, and in response to djthomas's observation that Texas did something similar and eventually did away with it entirely - we ain't Texas. I would point one to 9.68, that after all this time still has no teeth in it, nor is it ever likely to.)
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

NavyChief wrote:
rickt wrote:

BFA statement to the committee:
Buckeye Firearms Association is happy to support Sub H.B. 142. We thank you for your work to address the issues of law enforcement as well as Concealed Handgun License holders.

Sub H.B. 142 is good legislation which solves problems which have existed since the first days of concealed carry in Ohio. It is good public policy which eliminates vagueness and protects both license holders and law enforcement.

Buckeye Firearms Association supports Sub H.B. 142 and will work to see it enacted into law.
NavyChief wanders off to a corner of the room muttering to himself...
Sounds like they are "proud" of caving to the law enforcement orgs. at our expense, Kim.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Sounds like they are "proud" of caving to the law enforcement orgs. at our expense, Kim.
"Proud" isn't a word I would've used, but sure, OK...
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

As far as I can tell, the substitute bill is not yet publicly available. So did BFA endorse the bill unread or did they get special access to it from someone in the statehouse?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The sub bill is available
I loaded it to Facebook
https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Sub%20 ... 0goSfh4xZi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that link doesn't work, you can find it on the OFCC group page here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ohioccw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're not on Facebook send me a pm with your email and I will send it to you
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
zeko

Post by zeko »

I was at the Tuesday committee meeting. I didn't catch everything that went on because (a) my aging ears aren't what they used to be and (b) people kept going in and out of the room, letting in much crowd noise from the hall (I don't know what was going on out there, but whatever it was, was LOUD). Here is what I did observe:

The HB142 part of the meeting consisted of Rep. Wiggams describing and defending the substitute HB142 bill. A good part of this time he was defending the substitute bill against members of the committee who thought the $25 minor misdemeanor penalty for failure to notify was way too low and wouldn't be a deterrent to anyone. One committee member seemed unsatisfied that there was no increase of the penalty for multiple offenses.

The majority of the committee was willing to accept the substitute bill; however, there seems to have been more opposition than I had thought there would be.

zeko
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Did all that opposition come from the same side of the room?
Ain't activism fun?

zeko

Post by zeko »

I'm pretty sure at least one of the objectors was a Democrat -- not sure about the other two (I think there were two others). It looked like the committee members were seated alphabetically rather than by party. I think at least one of the objectors must have been a Republican.

I was particularly watching my representative, Wes Goodman -- no such objection came from him.

zeko
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Chuck wrote:The original bill was "good legislation"
I agree. The Sub.HB142 is crap. Still too much leeway for LEO to ticket you for notification failure. As for the $25 fine, that's crap also. And who want to fight it in court? More money for the court and the lawyers. And who wants a misdemeanor on their spotless record. After all that's how you got your CCW, with a clean record. As far as BFA and their lack of backbone on the issue doesn't help gun owners. That's way I am no long a member of that group.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Who wants to have to admit to failing to notify about carrying a gun, on a job application because one forgot and got ticketed for it? Most job applications ask about misdemeanors.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

qmti wrote:
Chuck wrote:The original bill was "good legislation"
I agree. The Sub.HB142 is crap. Still too much leeway for LEO to ticket you for notification failure. As for the $25 fine, that's crap also. And who want to fight it in court? More money for the court and the lawyers. And who wants a misdemeanor on their spotless record. After all that's how you got your CCW, with a clean record. As far as BFA and their lack of backbone on the issue doesn't help gun owners. That's way I am no long a member of that group.
Wish you were a member of ours
Ain't activism fun?

zeko

Post by zeko »

I would agree that sub HB142 is far from what we wanted. Trying to look on the bright side, it does make some improvements over the present situation:

*It gives us a definite time to notify, as opposed to the vague "promptly".

*Under sub HB142, we notify in response to a request by the officer, rather than having to interrupt the officer with our memorized statement.

*We would no longer have to notify to every officer involved -- only to those who ask for our ID.

*The minor misdemeanor penalty is at least better than the present first-degree misdemeanor.

Dealing with blocked expectations is always difficult . . .

zeko