NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CCIman

NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Post by CCIman »

I have a SBR tax stamp for a AK rifle with a 14" barrel before the muzzle device.

I am wondering who checks to make sure my weapons have met the proper requirements? Is enforcement done when other laws are broken?

How often are people checked? Who has ever been asked to produce a tax stamp?

Who knows of people actually charged for NFA violations without other charge?
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: NFA violations: how, by whom, often are they enforced?

Post by rimfireOH »

I've had various stamps (suppressors and SBR) for a few years now and have only ever been asked when at a range (three different ranges) if I had the stamped form(s) on my person, but never have been asked to produce it/them.

I've never yet been involved with in an LEO-situation and hope to keep it that way. I don't think I'd mind showing it upon request.

Every member of the trust has copies and there are copies in my cars, my range bags, my safes and my hunting bag. I don't want to get caught without them, that's for sure.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

AFAIK, only an ATF agent can require the NFA paperwork. However ORC defines most (all?) items covered by NFA as "Dangerous Ordinance" if I remember correctly, but excluding those with the NFA paperwork. So conceivably, you will be required to pay the paperwork to any Ohio LEO. Is it required on the spot? I don't know, but I carry opies in my range bags.

FWIW, if anyone at a range asked me for paperwork, I'd ask to see their ATF ID (unless other LEO uniform). Anyone else can pound sand as I go about my legal business.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

rimfireOH wrote:I've had various stamps (suppressors and SBR) for a few years now and have only ever been asked when at a range (three different ranges) if I had the stamped form(s) on my person, but never have been asked to produce it/them.

I've never yet been involved with in an LEO-situation and hope to keep it that way. I don't think I'd mind showing it upon request.

Every member of the trust has copies and there are copies in my cars, my range bags, my safes and my hunting bag. I don't want to get caught without them, that's for sure.
Might be a good Idea to take a picture of that paperwork with your phone as another layer of security. Or store a PDF version on your phone.
Just a thought.

Roger
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

rouger10 wrote: Might be a good Idea to take a picture of that paperwork with your phone as another layer of security. Or store a PDF version on your phone.
Just a thought.
Roger
I do this with my passport, drivers license and credit cards. This gives me peace of mind when I am overseas. I keep them in an app called Photo Vault, which requires a PIN to access.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

When someone I know who has a full auto firearm was firing it on his own property, and a sheriffs deputy came out on investigation of a noise complaint, the deputy casually asked if he had the proper paperwork for it. He showed him a xerox copy of the original paperwork that was in the case. The original paperwork was in the owners house. The deputy glanced over it and handed it back. The owner said he would quit the shooting session that day, and the deputy appreciated it. :roll: The new neighbors that made the noise complaint were shocked to discover that you could legally shoot guns on your own property out in the country, even including machine guns! :shock: They moved away not to long after that. :o
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I'd have driven around until I found that neighbor that was going full-happy and tried to bribe my way into friendship sufficient to gain me some trigger time with said gun. :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Quick cross-post about the HPA and possibly having suppressors removed from NFA list. Please consider calling your Representative and asking them for their vote on the SHARE bill.
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

scottb wrote:
rouger10 wrote: Might be a good Idea to take a picture of that paperwork with your phone as another layer of security. Or store a PDF version on your phone.
Just a thought.
Roger
I do this with my passport, drivers license and credit cards. This gives me peace of mind when I am overseas. I keep them in an app called Photo Vault, which requires a PIN to access.
Good call !!! I'll look into that. Thanks