THE OSU PhD is revoked over guns in video games

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

THE OSU PhD is revoked over guns in video games

Post by bignflnut »

THE
Ohio State University has revoked the Ph.D. of a co-author to a retracted study that claimed first-person shooter video games made people better shooters in the real world.

Jodi Whitaker’s advanced degree was stripped away at 1:00 PM on August 25, 2017. The decision came by unanimous vote by OSU’s Board of Trustees. The paper was co-authored by then-graduate student Jodi L. Whitaker, and Professor of Communication and Psychology Brad J. Bushman.

Whitaker was put on notice for misconduct at the time of the retraction, but has been awaiting a final judgment for the part she played in creating a paper that wrongly suggested games could “‘train’ a person to shoot a gun,” and “influence players to aim for the head.”

Unfortunately, Whitaker is the only one that will take the fall. The senior member of the team has been exonerated by Ohio State University. They call Bushman “a [professor] in good standing,” and cite insufficient “substance” to the allegations of inappropriate data manipulation as they relate to him
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Re: THE OSU PhD is revoked over guns in video games

Post by M-Quigley »

Video simulators have been used to teach or enhance various skills for years, driving, flying, boat operation, etc. Doesn't the military and some PD's use video simulation machines for just this purpose?

I know there is a big difference in content between your garden variety shooter video games for entertainment and training simulators, but I'm merely referring to the technical aspect of it. Why isn't there a video simulation "game" (hate to use that word in this question) out there for example to allow citizen CCW holders to explore various situations that they might encounter? Or is there one already available that I'm not aware of?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote:Video simulators have been used to teach or enhance various skills for years, driving, flying, boat operation, etc. Doesn't the military and some PD's use video simulation machines for just this purpose?

I know there is a big difference in content between your garden variety shooter video games for entertainment and training simulators, but I'm merely referring to the technical aspect of it. Why isn't there a video simulation "game" (hate to use that word in this question) out there for example to allow citizen CCW holders to explore various situations that they might encounter? Or is there one already available that I'm not aware of?
They are available, but far as I know still pretty expensive.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Brian D. wrote:They are available, but far as I know still pretty expensive.
Not economically viable on the consumer level.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Right 2 Arm in liberty twp has a very nice hd simulator with dozens of scenarios. Drop by or give Mike Reed a call there
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JEaton wrote:Right 2 Arm in liberty twp has a very nice hd simulator with dozens of scenarios. Drop by or give Mike Reed a call there
Any idea what that simulator costs to purchase outright?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The simulators I have seen are great for teaching 'shoot/don't shoot' scenarios.

They don't do much for accuracy.

This news story will come as quite a shock to Col. Dave Grossman. (you know, because video games taught a BG to properly fire a handgun and accurately shoot people in the head).
MyWifeSaidYes
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The simulators I have seen are great for teaching 'shoot/don't shoot' scenarios.

They don't do much for accuracy.

This news story will come as quite a shock to Col. Dave Grossman. (you know, because video games taught a BG to properly fire a handgun and accurately shoot people in the head).
The ones I have seen that the Army uses teach accuracy as well. The one I was able to use was a pretty good reenactment of a firefight at distances ranging from 25 to around 150 yards and it wasn't a one on one scenario. There was an entire platoon of bad guys coming at you using cover and movement. The simulator M4 had recoil and sound and I had to replace the mag every 30 rounds. Only thing missing is I didn't hear the rounds passing by me.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JEaton wrote:Right 2 Arm in liberty twp has a very nice hd simulator with dozens of scenarios. Drop by or give Mike Reed a call there
I gave them a call, Reed was busy, but the guy that answered said that all you can do with the simulator is use their games, like killing zombies, or wild west. (at $30 a half hour) Anything to do with home defense, ccw, etc, you have to purchase one of their advanced ccw courses. :roll: Sorry, not interested in a game of killing zombies. Thanks for the info though.