Appleseed

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Appleseed

Post by JustaShooter »

You are welcome! A tip from a friend who did an Appleseed a couple of weekends ago: make sure all of your mags drop free when the release is pressed so you don't have to try to extract a sticky one during a timed course of fire. And, make sure you have enough mags to have the entire AQT loaded (6 mags) and ready before the start of the AQT to save precious time between stages. Finally, mark the mags so you know which is which. I use a silver Sharpie to mark two with '2' and two with '8' and have the two full magazines unmarked.

Stay safe, have fun, shoot well, and let us know how it goes!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

JustaShooter wrote:You are welcome! A tip from a friend who did an Appleseed a couple of weekends ago: make sure all of your mags drop free when the release is pressed so you don't have to try to extract a sticky one during a timed course of fire. And, make sure you have enough mags to have the entire AQT loaded (6 mags) and ready before the start of the AQT to save precious time between stages. Finally, mark the mags so you know which is which. I use a silver Sharpie to mark two with '2' and two with '8' and have the two full magazines unmarked.

Thank you for the additional tips. I get the intent of 2 vs 8 reference. I will need to order more 6 more 10 round mags. :shock:
I've got some EWL (lube) on the way from slip2000.com that should keep things freed up.
Is there any call for the 25 round mags during an Appleseed?
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Aesinsp wrote:Is there any call for the 25 round mags during an Appleseed?
None at all. You will shoot 10 rounds standing (no magazine change), 10 rounds sitting or kneeling (2 rounds, mag change, 8 rounds, timed), 10 rounds prone (2 rounds, mag change, 8 rounds, timed) and then 10 rounds prone (no magazine change). So no more than 10 rounds needed at a time, and a total of 6 magazines can run the entire course of fire (but good idea to have a couple of spares...)

Good idea to get comfortable using a sling in each position - I struggled getting the sling right before the one-on-one instruction they provide, I'd have been much farther ahead if I could have done so. If you were closer we might have been able to meet up at a range for a little equipment prep & pointers but it looks like you are kindof far away.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Any word on the S&W M&P 15-22 and Appleseed?
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

TSiWRX wrote:Any word on the S&W M&P 15-22 and Appleseed?
As far as I know it is still banned.
NRA Life Member

Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

JustaShooter wrote:Good idea to get comfortable using a sling in each position - I struggled getting the sling right before the one-on-one instruction they provide, I'd have been much farther ahead if I could have done so. If you were closer we might have been able to meet up at a range for a little equipment prep & pointers but it looks like you are kind of far away.
Yep - just a bit. The slings arrived yesterday, I still need to address attaching one to the TD possibly with a pair of Blackhawk single point sling adapters - Thanks again.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Aesinsp wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:You are welcome! A tip from a friend who did an Appleseed a couple of weekends ago: make sure all of your mags drop free when the release is pressed so you don't have to try to extract a sticky one during a timed course of fire. And, make sure you have enough mags to have the entire AQT loaded (6 mags) and ready before the start of the AQT to save precious time between stages. Finally, mark the mags so you know which is which. I use a silver Sharpie to mark two with '2' and two with '8' and have the two full magazines unmarked.

Thank you for the additional tips. I get the intent of 2 vs 8 reference. I will need to order more 6 more 10 round mags. :shock:
I've got some EWL (lube) on the way from slip2000.com that should keep things freed up.
Yes there is! Sometimes there is a game called the Mad Minute, played with many variations, which boils down to getting as many rounds downrange ACCURATELY as you can do it. A 25 rounder will eliminate mag changes in the minute. I have seen some really good shooters get that many on target in the minute.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mustang380gal wrote:
Aesinsp wrote:

Yes there is! Sometimes there is a game called the Mad Minute, played with many variations, which boils down to getting as many rounds downrange ACCURATELY as you can do it. A 25 rounder will eliminate mag changes in the minute. I have seen some really good shooters get that many on target in the minute.
Interesting - we didn't play that game at any of the events I've attended. Sounds like fun - but wouldn't the length of the mag interfere with a solid prone position?
NRA Life Member

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

JustaShooter wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:Any word on the S&W M&P 15-22 and Appleseed?
As far as I know it is still banned.
Thanks for the update. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

No, it really doesn't hang that far down, especially with a .22. I have seen some with a bit of a curve, which also makes it a bit shorter. I can shoot my centerfire with 15 round mags while prone, and it isn't too long.

Mad minute is kind of like shoot out the star at arcades. It isn't always a star, though. Sometimes it's done individually, sometimes as a team. If it's a team, it helps to have a centerfire guy on the team with a couple of rimfire. Strategy comes into play.

We started going to AS about 8 years ago, on our 20th wedding anniversary. Many of the shoot bosses broke up the "AQT grind" with games. I don't think it is too common anymore, but they are an important teaching tool, IMHO. At a lady seed, we did a mad minute shooting at a laundry basket, IIRC. :)
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Or if you are lucky, Slim will show up at a fall shoot with a Jeep FULL of pumpkins to use for the mad minute... and you'll get squadded with The Guy... and you'll both be using centerfire soft points. :mrgreen:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Mustang380gal wrote:Yes there is! Sometimes there is a game called the Mad Minute, played with many variations, which boils down to getting as many rounds downrange ACCURATELY as you can do it. A 25 rounder will eliminate mag changes in the minute. I have seen some really good shooters get that many on target in the minute.
I will pack a couple to take just in-case. Thank you.

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Some other uses for a 25 round mag are a 4 minute AQT. Load 40 rounds, fire command is given, and you do each stage at your own pace, cease fire is called at 4 minutes. I haven't seen it done much, but I liked it when I did it, and do it that way at home.
WY_Not wrote:Or if you are lucky, Slim will show up at a fall shoot with a Jeep FULL of pumpkins to use for the mad minute... and you'll get squadded with The Guy... and you'll both be using centerfire soft points. :mrgreen:
Now the Guy's name is a blast from the past! Slim was SB for some of the best mad minutes that I have ever done. Ratchett did a few good ones, too.