ChL and protection orders

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Shelbyryan90

ChL and protection orders

Post by Shelbyryan90 »

Hi everyone ,
I take my ChL class this Saturday, and I was wondering . I have a protection order on my neighbor for sexually harassing my wife , and i don't know if I'm allowed to possess a ChL. Ive read things where people have ones on them selves but my situation is different beings I don't have one on me. I have one on someone else. Can some one please elaborate and tell me if I can possess a ChL ? ThanKS for your info
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: ChL and protection orders

Post by Javelin Man »

I'm not going to pull out ORC to quote it but if you have a protective order on someone else, that would, could or should qualify you for an emergency CHL so you may carry immediately for 90 days until you get your CHL.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Javelin Man wrote:I'm not going to pull out ORC to quote it but if you have a protective order on someone else, that would, could or should qualify you for an emergency CHL so you may carry immediately for 90 days until you get your CHL.
Slightly wrong there. Yes, a protection order will help to APPLY for an emergency CHL, but it does not allow one to carry without a CHL. A temporary CHL really works no different than a regular CHL. The only difference is instead of a training class, you just need evidence of a threat of imminent danger. You still apply like everyone else BEFORE you can carry in a CHL manner and no, the sheriff doesn't have to issue the license any faster. Once you get your license, it is ONLY good for 90 days. After that, you have to basically have taken a class and apply for a full license.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

Thanks for that, Jedi. That's interesting stuff. I didn't know how that process worked.

Roger
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

rouger10 wrote:Thanks for that, Jedi. That's interesting stuff. I didn't know how that process worked.

Roger
It's basically there as a feel good aspect. I think it's nearly pointless as I believe one can find a class at almost any time and simply just go for a full license from the get-go. Also, nothing in the ORC says they have to process the emergency license before anyone else. So counties that do the appointment only method and have them 2-3 months out, well, you still have to wait 2-3 months to apply. I think it should be a walk in, background check run, and walk out type situation with a license in hand. I know some counties can do same day, so why all can't, and especially for an emergency CHL, it just boggles my mind.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
rouger10 wrote:Thanks for that, Jedi. That's interesting stuff. I didn't know how that process worked.

Roger
It's basically there as a feel good aspect. I think it's nearly pointless as I believe one can find a class at almost any time and simply just go for a full license from the get-go. Also, nothing in the ORC says they have to process the emergency license before anyone else. So counties that do the appointment only method and have them 2-3 months out, well, you still have to wait 2-3 months to apply. I think it should be a walk in, background check run, and walk out type situation with a license in hand. I know some counties can do same day, so why all can't, and especially for an emergency CHL, it just boggles my mind.
I always thought it was a walk in kind of thing being an "emergency" license. But I guess I was VERY wrong.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

rouger10 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

Roger
I always thought it was a walk in kind of thing being an "emergency" license. But I guess I was VERY wrong.
Most think it is as it should be. Unfortunately, the ORC doesn't specify that and most sheriff's don't handle it that way. Also, one has to pay $15 plus the cost of the BCI background check and then when your license expires in 90 days, you get to pay the renewal fee of $50. So, really one is better just finding a class and applying for the full license from the get-go. The entire section dealing with Temporary Emergency License is basically pointless.

Shelbyryan90

Post by Shelbyryan90 »

So all in all , the cpo I have on my neighbor could not effect me getting my ChL ?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Shelbyryan90 wrote:So all in all , the cpo I have on my neighbor could not effect me getting my ChL ?
No, the only way it can affect is if you are the person named as the offender in the CPO.

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Javelin Man wrote:I'm not going to pull out ORC to quote it but if you have a protective order on someone else, that would, could or should qualify you for an emergency CHL so you may carry immediately for 90 days until you get your CHL.
Open carry for now until you get CHL. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

steves 50de wrote:
While it is a better option than nothing, you can't open carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. In many previous incidents, attacks have occurred in or near vehicles. If you're going someplace, you'd have to unload prior to getting into the car, then load up again after getting out. Loading and unloading your handgun outside of the vehicle in sight of other people might cause some ignorant person to call the police. If they strictly tell the truth about what they saw, there might not be a police response, but as been shown in the past, a 911 caller can basically embellish or outright lie about the actions they saw without any repercussions. :( And that's if there's even video proving they were lying. There might not be any video depending on where you are parked at the time.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
steves 50de wrote:
While it is a better option than nothing, you can't open carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. In many previous incidents, attacks have occurred in or near vehicles. If you're going someplace, you'd have to unload prior to getting into the car, then load up again after getting out. Loading and unloading your handgun outside of the vehicle in sight of other people might cause some ignorant person to call the police. If they strictly tell the truth about what they saw, there might not be a police response, but as been shown in the past, a 911 caller can basically embellish or outright lie about the actions they saw without any repercussions. :( And that's if there's even video proving they were lying. There might not be any video depending on where you are parked at the time.
And that lying can lead to fatalities as in the Walmart incident near Dayton.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:And that lying can lead to fatalities as in the Walmart incident near Dayton.
Actually I was referring to some incidents where open carriers have either been arrested or had a police response due to a false 911 call. In at least one of the cases I read about, the call was made by one of the BG's the open carrier encountered. Bad guys call 911 too sometimes. The caller claimed the open carrier pointed the gun at him, when the gun allegedly never left the holster. Despite no proof either way, the open carrier was arrested. He wasn't convicted, but still had to hire an attorney, etc.

But now that you mention it.............